How do you get the Starter to work without pressing the clutch? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-20-2004, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
rshrimp
2012 JK Wrangler 

How do you get the Starter to work without pressing the clutch?

2000 TJ 6cyl 5spd
I heard you just need to pull a fuse or something to get the starter to work without pressing the clutch.

Being a careful sort , I could see this as being useful in an off road situation.

So How do you do it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Per the instructions in your owner's manual there is a location in the fuse panel behind the glove compartment for a fuse that is inserted into that defeats the clutch interlock circuit. That's it! Mine has been that way since the day I bought it 7 years ago.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-20-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
rshrimp
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the good info this morning.
I saw that fuse hole with a label but it did not have a fuse in it.
Now it all makes sense. You have to put a fuse in to disable it!

Seems kind of backwards but I'll go for it!

Thanks again!
Randy Shrimplin
Sarasota FL

post #4 of 39 Old 01-20-2004, 03:50 PM
ddtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp
Thanks for all the good info this morning.
I saw that fuse hole with a label but it did not have a fuse in it.
Now it all makes sense. You have to put a fuse in to disable it!

Seems kind of backwards but I'll go for it!

Thanks again!
Randy Shrimplin
Sarasota FL
Actually your are enabling a bypass circuit. Same effect as disabling the interlock though; you're just jumping around it.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-29-2004, 11:22 PM
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp
2000 TJ 6cyl 5spd
I heard you just need to pull a fuse or something to get the starter to work without pressing the clutch.

Being a careful sort , I could see this as being useful in an off road situation.

So How do you do it?
I WOLDN'T do it, unless you have some offroad issue, and then you can pull the fuse.
Do you have auto trans cars around the house? Ever start 'em while you are standing outside? (In Westsylvania, we do this to let 'em warm up while we scrape off the snow).
Anyway, point is you may FORGET that your TJ is a manual tranny, and make it jump or somesuch if you start it in gear. Good way to bend something or hurt someone.
Moon

'04 Rubi, manual, usual options, Hella H-4s, any range lockers, Randy's booster seats, Oly pushbar, 245/75R16 BFG
'09 Audi A4 Avant- my bride's schnellpuffenpanzer
'12 Ford Focus-the sure way to get good Jeep mileage
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
post #6 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
I WOLDN'T do it, unless you have some offroad issue, and then you can pull the fuse.
What!!??? Do you actually think a procedure that worked well for the entire world suddenly became dangerous only in the U.S. nearly overnight? You do realize that this is how all cars worked for like 90 years until some lawyer got involved a few years ago and said there might be an idiot or two that could sue us if he forgot to push the clutch in, right?

In other words, all we're doing here is disabling something that merely allows the starter and clutch to work like they have for all but a few recent years of automotive history.

On second thought, if this whole thing worries you that much, maybe you should keep your TJ's interlock engaged.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-30-2004 at 06:21 AM.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 05:37 AM
greeneggsnham

what size fuse? do you have to remove the glove box or what? thanks.

DO NOT BUY FROM Rocky Road Outfitters. Just ask me why...
post #8 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
What!!??? Do you actually think a procedure that worked well for the entire world suddenly became dangerous only in the U.S. nearly overnight? You do realize that this is how all cars worked for like 90 years until some lawyer got involved a few years ago and said there might be an idiot or two that could sue us if he forgot to push the clutch in, right?

In other words, all we're doing here is disabling something that merely allows the starter and clutch to work like they have for all but a few recent years of automotive history.

On second thought, if this whole thing worries you that much, maybe you should keep your TJ's interlock engaged.
Jerry- relax, I'm a greybeard; grew up w/o interlocks, the one on my dad's 3/4 ton Chev failed, left him sit in Cresson. The starter on my '47 Pontiac was a knob that stuck out of the floor; you didn't even need the KEY turned to crank it.
However, that was before fuel injection and starting cars from outside, and having most cars around the house w/automatics.
It has been twenty years since my last manual tranny, and I've developed some bad habits about just hitting the starter.
I was going to take the interlock out of mine, but I caught myself trying to crank it with the clutch out...decided that, for me, letting it in made sense.
Others can do as they please, but if they have gotten used to automatics, they might want to leave the interlock in. Easy enough to disable if the need arises; in the meantime, my Jeep won't be running over the dog or jumping thru the garage door.

Moon

'04 Rubi, manual, usual options, Hella H-4s, any range lockers, Randy's booster seats, Oly pushbar, 245/75R16 BFG
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!

Last edited by halfmoonclip; 01-30-2004 at 02:23 PM.
post #9 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 12:48 PM
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!..............................you had to make Jerry load his six shooter didn't you!

LIFE IS TOUGH ENOUGH ALREADY, IT'S EVEN TOUGHER WHEN YOU'RE STUPID.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
post #10 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 12:54 PM
greeneggsnham

halfmoon is way oldschool. i thought jerry was kind of loose with his words in regards to the "idiot" thing. that would have really ruffled my feathers pretty bad.

post #11 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 02:26 PM
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsnham
halfmoon is way oldschool. i thought jerry was kind of loose with his words in regards to the "idiot" thing. that would have really ruffled my feathers pretty bad.
GEH- Figured Jerry was talking about some other idiot (the one that would file a suit).
Jerry forgets that not everyone is as mechanically astute as he is.
Moon

post #12 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 02:30 PM
greeneggsnham

you are right. i apologise to both of you. i've got the flu and am sleeping in my puter chair half delirious from the brown water navy blues, shakes, dizzy thing. i thought jerry was being mean and i feel kind of dumb for saying anything. sorry.

post #13 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 02:32 PM
wile_e_mopar

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Every vehicle I have ever gotten into for the last 10 years, I have reached for the clutch, it feels kinda funny when it isn't there. Even the clunker of a pickup I bought and drove for 4 years before I sold her, had an auto, but almost every day I would try to find the clutch, its like buckling the seatbelt, just an automatic thing.
I also hate the fact when I borrowed my parents car last time I was home, I had to press the brake in in order to change gears in the Intrepid. what a hassle.
Btw, thank you for posting this, I didn't know it was that easy to override.

2002 Solar Yellow Sport-mine
2008 Jeep Compass-wife's
2006 FXDLI-mine

Last edited by wile_e_mopar; 01-30-2004 at 02:39 PM.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 02:36 PM
ddtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsnham
what size fuse? do you have to remove the glove box or what? thanks.
It's number 18 in the fuse panel I think, Curt. On the left side of the panel, can't remember exactly, but it probaby is the only empty one there. Seems like it's a 15, maybe a 20 amp fuse. Yeah, the panel is behind the glove box, not hard to get to. I think it's even convered in the owners manual.

I bypassed mine early on right after I got my TJ. I've driven manual transmissions for a bunch of years, and I think I know when to kick my starter. There are times when the ability to restart the engine without the clutch can be a big safety factor in itself. I drove a lot of years before I ever heard of such a thing as a clutch interlock.

To each his own.

BTW; don't get into an argument with Jerry.
He gives no quarter, and can be kinda rough sometimes. A while back I made the mistake of giving somebody some advice about a power hook-up for a CB which wasn't according to recommended practice. Ol' Jerry beat me about the head and shoulders until I crawled away whimpering with my tail between my legs.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-30-2004, 02:41 PM
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wile_e_mopar
Every vehicle I have ever gotten into for the last 10 years, I have reached for the clutch, it feels kinda funny when it isn't there. Even the clunker of a pickup I bought and drove for 4 years before I sold her, had an auto, but almost every day I would try to find the clutch, its like buckling the seatbelt, just an automatic thing.

Btw, thank you for posting this, I didn't know it was that easy to override the idiot check.
Wile- That's just what I'm talking about, except in reverse. I have gotten OUT of the habit of stomping on a clutch, having been away from it for some time ('tho I did catch myself stomping on empty floor in my bride's VW the other day....)
My concern is that many new drivers aren't used to a clutch, and may accidentally crank the starter in gear.
I'm teaching my daughter to drive, and she is driving the '99 'one footed', leaving the left one for a clutch someday. Maybe. If I let her drive the TJ.
Moon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.