how do lockers work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how do lockers work?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how do lockers work?

I am thinking about getting gears and a locker/ lockers for my 97 TJ. It is a 4 cyl. and I will be running 33's. What gear and locker set up should I run? I have read that some just run a locker in the front diff. How does that work? How will it handle on the street with just a front diff locker?

jeepin1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/what-why-do-i-need-locker-i-thought-i-had-4x4-242949/
search first
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did search, but didnt see that one.... Thanks!
What about gearing for my set up? what would you recommend?
Unread 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can install a front locker without it affecting your steering on the street in 2wd at all, they only lock up hard when you're in 4x4. Good front lockers include the No-Slip, Aussie, and Lockright. The Aussie and Lockright will, at most click a bit during turns when you're in 2wd, the No-Slip (about $100 more) won't even do that... it's virtually silent and undetectable in 2wd.

Don't lock your rear axle, it's a Dana 35c and it's not strong enough for a locker.

For 33" tires, your 2.5L engine, and a 5-speed manual transmission, regear to 4.88... do NOT go to 4.56 which would only be correct for the 4.0L engine. 4.88 is ideal for your rig and 33" tires.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thank you very much!
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy gears and lockers on the internet?
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Don't buy the gears over the internet, have the installer provide them. Just know what you can buy them for on the internet and then negotiate with the installer for a reasonable discount on the parts to get the price a little closer. Most installers will discount the parts to get the labor $$$.

If you provided the parts to the installer and something went wrong during or after the installation, which DOES happen, he'd just blame the parts you provided and you'd have to take care of replacing the parts and paying him again to reinstall them. If the installer provides the parts, his warranty will cover everything, parts and labor. There's a lot of peace of mind you'll gain with that.

Unread 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
silverjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just installed my Aussie Locker this last weekend. No problems on road in 2wd. Some clicking and ratcheting. Nothing big though. I do feel a slight difference in the steering. It feels more firm. Could just be me though. I got mine at northridge4x4.com $269 free shipping and no tax. They shipped the same day.

www.my4x4source.com Jeep parts and accessories
silverjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
ram1500dodge
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Im gonna hi-jack the thread for a second....I DD my rig, welding up the front is not a good idea correct? that would affect the steering am I correct on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mean Fish View Post
......If hooking up some suspected terrorist's nads to a car battery yields a .001 % chance that we get a tiny bit of information that might save 1 American life I couldn't care less, red is positive and black is negative......
ram1500dodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1500dodge View Post
Im gonna hi-jack the thread for a second....I DD my rig, welding up the front is not a good idea correct? that would affect the steering am I correct on this?
That is correct, welding the front spider gears to make what is known as a "Lincoln Locker" would make steerng on the street extremely difficult. And there in Georgia where the roads can ice up, you'd hate it. Don't do it.

Unread 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that would be correct.... welded gears are the same as a solid spool.... there is never any give...... wouldnt want to do that to a daily driver
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went to look at lockers and gears online..... some of them say that they only fit a carrier higher or lower that a certain gear ratio..... how do I know if I fall into that category without tearing it apart to check?
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your 2.5L TJ came with 4.10 gearing so you won't need new carriers for a lower ratio like 4.88. Read post #7 above thoroughly though, I don't advise buying your own gears if you are not going to install them yourself which shouldn't be done unless you know what you're doing with R&P installations.

Unread 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
TJSport01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

jerry saves the day...yet again, i also have an aussie in the front best 250ish ive ever spent
2001 Jeep TJ, 1in JKS Body Lift, 35x12.50x15in Goodyear Mtr's and a RE 4.5 SF with AA sye, tom woods custom cv drive shaft, tnt tube fenders w/3in flares and flush mounted led turn signals, 1in mml, cobra cb and firestik, custom rock sliders, herced, trail scars

Looking for 4.88s (R&P) for a d44/d30 PM me
TJSport01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
jeepin1122
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I do plan on installing myself.... I am a do-it-yourselfer.... I cant see paying somebody else that kind of money to do something when it could be spent on more jeep parts ya know. I appriciate you help and info. I have installed gears and spools into toyota axels, and also into a chevy 12 bolt.... im guessing that jeep axels are prolly more like doing the chevy axel being that there is not a pumpkin to remove and work on......?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.