How do I separate the a/c lines? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I separate the a/c lines?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

How do I separate the a/c lines?

Anyone know how to seperate the a/c lines on the TJ? I've got the "tools" but they just look like something to help you grab the line. Do I just pull? Theres no freon in the system so I don't need to take it anywhere to be recovered, just trying to seperate a line to replace the o-ring. My freon sniffer was going off near a connection. Trying to get my a/c working. Thanks.

1997 TJ Sport

MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ya slide the tool up into it and wiggle & pull.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
ScreamSalvation
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is a groove on the tool that slides in the back. Use the right size tool and give it a little push into the groove on the line and pull. Sometimes the lines come off easy as can be, other times it takes forever to get them
to "pop".
ScreamSalvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

For fuel & A/C lines with quick connects.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Hey thanks, I finally got it. Jeepair.com had a pretty sweet set of pictures detailing how it works too. I replaced the two O-rings in there and charged it back up. Blows cold like usual, just still think its leaking out. I had it at a local shop to see if they could find the leak. They couldn't and decided its a leak in the evaporator. But there was no uv in the water dripping out either. So I took my father-in-law's freon sniffer and stuck it in the vents, even in the drip hose exit coming out the firewall, nothing. But it keeps going off near the passenger side front, near where the two lines enter the condenser i think. Thats why I changed the o-rings in the line coming from the compressor. We'll see, if it still blows cold tomorrow, that'd be an improvement. Its usually gone within several hours.
Unread 07-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Yup. All gone. I can't believe it leaks out that fast and theres no sign of where its exiting.
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJeep View Post
Yup. All gone. I can't believe it leaks out that fast and theres no sign of where its exiting.
Did you use freon with leak detector dye? If so & it doesn't appear to have dye around any fittings or seals, you know already what the answer is:
Evaporator core.

Might as well replace the heater core while it's apart.......

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Matt - I'm in the same boat. This week I replaced the Condenser, Compressor, Accumulator, liquid line w/orifice tube. All that and it turns out a leak in my evap. Yuck.
So, now at the end of the month (payday) I gotta take the whole dashboard off, replace the evap core AND since the system is getting opened AGAIN gotta replace the accumulator again too. ARRRGGGGGH.
Good luck with yours, I'm done for a few weeks.
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Ya but like I said, I don't have any clues that point to the evaporator. Not that I want it to be the evaporator thats bad, but no dye in the drip water, and no sniffing freon from the vents while air is on (and while theres still freon in the system). I'd just hate to tear the whole dash apart and find the evap is fine. Not that this jeep is in pristine condition, I can imagine it being corroded. What and where do they usually go bad? I've never seen a picture of a bad one. I really wanna fix it, being teased by cold air coming out when its charged makes it hard to let it go.

Maddiver: how did you surmise that the evap was where your leak was?
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well - I haven't COMPLETELY ruled that it is the evap but with EVERYTHING else replaced - it's the only thing left that it could be.
Seriously, we couldn't sniff any leaks anywhere either - BUT - at one point right after filling my detector went off on the passenger side floor as well. Then, 4 days later I had the level checked. Initially they put in 1.25 lbs as required. When we checked it there was only .85 in there. Sooooo.
Then, this morning I was looking over the whole underside of the jeep and to my amazement there was a drip of leak check/pag oil on the drip line.
That was enough for me. Everything I've read, heard, seen, says that a leak in the Evap is the most prevalent but also the hardest to diagnose. Since everything else has been replaced I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace it too.
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiver View Post
Matt - I'm in the same boat. This week I replaced the Condenser, Compressor, Accumulator, liquid line w/orifice tube. All that and it turns out a leak in my evap. Yuck.
So, now at the end of the month (payday) I gotta take the whole dashboard off, replace the evap core AND since the system is getting opened AGAIN gotta replace the accumulator again too. ARRRGGGGGH.
Good luck with yours, I'm done for a few weeks.
I know you don't have to do this but if you lay your windshield down it helps with the top bolts & cover. I just put mine back together a few weeks ago for a roll bar install, it's not hard just takes time.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Yay. Oh well better just order an evaporator We've got another 3 months it can still be hot so. Plus I wanna wheel with the air on! lol.

Tags
ac , a/c , freon , lines

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.