How do I get a smoother ride on my DD?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I get a smoother ride on my DD??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #31
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If thats the case I would guess your shocks were worn out almost a 100,000 miles ago if they are OE . I would watch for a used set of springs from a Rubicon they be a good replacement plus I see them for sale often . Some times you just have to take for granted some things need to be replaced just because of age and mileage . It may not make a major change but no one component will . Its sometimes a process of elimination . Used springs are cheap or it could be used as an excuse to add a small suspension lift .

Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #32
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My first Jeep was a YJ and now that I have a LJ it rides like a Cadillac but if this is your first Jeep than maybe you need to take the advice of Imped and ride a YJ and see what time it is.
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #33
Jeepish
1984 CJ8 

The Airock suspension from ORO is spendy, but the ride is sensational and so is the handling (Computer controlled air ride is a good thing.)
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #34
silver60th
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, sooo....

You have 17 in. rims? This is probably what is causing a lot of the harshness. If you can't change this, either go to a bigger tire size or live with the roughness.

You should probably get new shocks. If you can't afford Old Man Emu shocks, Monroe makes a gas shock that can be adjusted. They provide a fairly smooth ride that can be customized to your Jeep. Also, you can buy new coils that have a different spring rate, which will change your ride as well.

But, like I said, if you continue to stick with your 17 in. rims and a tire that is smaller than a 33, you will probably just have to suffer a bit.
silver60th is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #35
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Replace your shocks

With that sort of mileage your shocks are more than likley worn out.

I would recommend replacing them with some Bilstein shocks, that is what I run and I really like the ride. Being a monotube gas charged shock, they can take out the small bumps around town really well, and the big hits off road as well, and they are specifically valved for Jeeps, if you get the Jeep specific ones.

Good luck
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Shocks are 90+% of ride quality. Tire air pressure, maybe 3%.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
If thats the case I would guess your shocks were worn out almost a 100,000 miles ago if they are OE . I would watch for a used set of springs from a Rubicon they be a good replacement plus I see them for sale often . Some times you just have to take for granted some things need to be replaced just because of age and mileage . It may not make a major change but no one component will . Its sometimes a process of elimination . Used springs are cheap or it could be used as an excuse to add a small suspension lift .
Rubicon springs would be stiffer, so wouldn't that make my ride stiffer? Or am I missing something. Sorry I'm new to all
of this stuff so I'm trying to figure it all out.
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #38
sealion2288
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
If thats the case I would guess your shocks were worn out almost a 100,000 miles ago if they are OE .
I've got 120K+ on my Jeep, and as far as anyone can tell, the original suspension. I have driven dozens of Jeeps over the past 14 years (car dealer) and I truly believe my Jeep rides and handles as well or better than ANY Wrangler I've ever driven or ridden in.

I believe the issue is the low profile tire/wheel combo. Low profile tires will make an Accord ride like a stagecoach, I can just imagine what a Wrangler would feel like.

Sell your wheels and tires on Craiglist and while your browsing the ads, look for some stocker wheels. Then put on a non-aggressive tire. That will smooth out your ride. Not much help with mpg's. You've got 3.07 gearing; I wouldn't put a tire any larger than stock, if fuel economy and performance matters.
sealion2288 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #39
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion2288 View Post
I've got 120K+ on my Jeep, and as far as anyone can tell, the original suspension. I have driven dozens of Jeeps over the past 14 years (car dealer) and I truly believe my Jeep rides and handles as well or better than ANY Wrangler I've ever driven or ridden in.

I believe the issue is the low profile tire/wheel combo. Low profile tires will make an Accord ride like a stagecoach, I can just imagine what a Wrangler would feel like.

Sell your wheels and tires on Craiglist and while your browsing the ads, look for some stocker wheels. Then put on a non-aggressive tire. That will smooth out your ride. Not much help with mpg's. You've got 3.07 gearing; I wouldn't put a tire any larger than stock, if fuel economy and performance matters.
I agree his tire/wheel combo are not one that promotes a good ride but I bet the fact shocks with 127,000 miles on them can't control them either and has a lot to do with not being under control when bumps are encountered on the highway. Shocks wear out so gradual that you don't realize it until they are long gone and at 120,000 I bet they are just that . I was only able to get 80,000 out of Bilstein 5100s and no TJ came from the factory with shocks close to those
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Shocks are 90+% of ride quality. Tire air pressure, maybe 3%.
In general I agree. But at the extreme ends tires can be much more.
Examples:
*Run 35s at 10 psi on the road. Nothing the shocks can do to control that bouncing ball mushy cornering non responsive ride. It will ride soft, but won't feel good...
*Run 235s at 50 psi. The suspension/shocks work fine and handling control is okay (unless you hit a bump on a corner...) but the ride will harsh as hell.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #41
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
Rubicon springs would be stiffer, so wouldn't that make my ride stiffer? Or am I missing something. Sorry I'm new to all
of this stuff so I'm trying to figure it all out.
Maybe, maybe not. Rubi springs are not special, they're just TJ springs but with the highest spring rate. (Tjs had a variety of spring rates due to 4/6 cyl, soft/hard tops etc.) They may actually be same as the ones you have now. But they probably would be somewhat stiffer due to being newer.

Nothing wrong with 17s - the problem is those those rediculous small low profile tires.
Lots of good advice in this thread, you should have an idea what direction you need to go in now to improve your ride.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #42
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
In general I agree. But at the extreme ends tires can be much more.
Examples:
*Run 35s at 10 psi on the road. Nothing the shocks can do to control that bouncing ball mushy cornering non responsive ride. It will ride soft, but won't feel good...
*Run 235s at 50 psi. The suspension/shocks work fine and handling control is okay (unless you hit a bump on a corner...) but the ride will harsh as hell.
haha. I did fail to mention that tire pressure is a huge contributor to ride quality on the trail. On the road its very minimal, except for running Way low or Way high psi.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #43
kosh

As mentioned, the tire/wheel combo is probably contributing to the rough ride but I would suspect the shocks are toast. I have ~110,000 and my shocks need replacing and will be by the end of April. I expect a much better ride afterwards.
kosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #44
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion2288 View Post
You've got 3.07 gearing; I wouldn't put a tire any larger than stock, if fuel economy and performance matters.
Becareful with these kinds of statements. MPG is far more to do with driving style than tire size/gear ratio combo. I've got 3.07 and get better gas mileage with 31's than stock.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #45
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

simple logic , replace what you know is worn out adjust the tire preasure and if you don't like the ride get rid of the tires and wheels or the Jeep . Three pages , all the ink in the world won't fix it, get to work and learn like the rest of us did and do

Tags
ride , shocks , smoother , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.