How do I get a smoother ride on my DD?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How do I get a smoother ride on my DD??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How do I get a smoother ride on my DD??

I have a 01 TJ, and the ride quality is terrible. Every little bump and it feels like I hit the biggest speedbump in the world. The suspension is all stock, and there is no lift kit etc installed. This is my DD, so I have my tires at 38 psi. I've read some threads and they all say lower your psi, but I still need to get the best mileage possible. So, what can I do to make my ride better? Shocks/springs. What brand is best etc. I don't wheel it and I don't really plan on it in the near future, so this would just be for an on road ride. Thanks

dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
I have a 01 TJ, and the ride quality is terrible. Every little bump and it feels like I hit the biggest speedbump in the world. The suspension is all stock, and there is no lift kit etc installed. This is my DD, so I have my tires at 38 psi. I've read some threads and they all say lower your psi, but I still need to get the best mileage possible. So, what can I do to make my ride better? Shocks/springs. What brand is best etc. I don't wheel it and I don't really plan on it in the near future, so this would just be for an on road ride. Thanks
Then put up with the crap ride and uneven tire wear. If you jeep is stock then the recommended pressure is on the door jamb, use it.
Unread 03-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Raising your tire pressure TOO high won't necessarily get you any better mileage. Above a certain psi, more doesn't help. BUT - it can kill you. Do a bit of Googling about tire air pressure and overinflation, see what can happen when a tire is run overinflated at highway speeds. 38 probably isn't that bad, but still...

Aside from that,
Are you still on the stock shocks? They are probably long gone.
Have your springs sagged? You may be hitting the bump stops.

If you want a little lift (lets face it, even if never offroad, it will look better) a small coil lift and good shocks can improve ride considerably. I believe there are 2" coil lifts out there - OME perhaps?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If your looking for better mileage then you may want to buy something that gets good mileage to begin with otherwise lower tha air pressure for a better ride.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i just lowered the air pressure by using the chalk method. so air pressure is out of the question. shocks/springs?
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
jake-cutter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you ever replaced the shocks or coils? How about the body bushing mounts? Might want to start there. Also how are your seats, has the cushion flattened out?
jake-cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So what did you lower your tire pressure too after the chalk test?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A stock jeep rides pretty darn good as long as everything's in good shape. Perhaps your point of view is a bit flawed. Go ride in a YJ then reevaluate.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

we don't know the mileage so I will say just maybe your shocks are finished. A stock TJ when new rides pretty soft from what I remember . I can't think of a reason to have 38psi in a TJ's tires .If you have stock tires do what the door sticker says or slightly less. If the person who told you to put 38psi in your tires told you to do anything else undo it .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i bought it about a month ago so it's still relatively new to me. i know the ride can be better so I posted this. i have not replaced anything. the driver seat is decent. the passenger seat cushion is like new. it's not to the point yet where i'm almost sitting on nothing. i'd rather replace physical components first and then seats etc.
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
i just lowered the air pressure by using the chalk method. so air pressure is out of the question. shocks/springs?
Well what did you lower the air pressure to? The number on the door jamb is 33psi. You'll be safe at 30psi and getting a better ride.

Edit: And it won't make a bit of difference in your fuel economy going down to 30.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
So what did you lower your tire pressure too after the chalk test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
A stock jeep rides pretty darn good as long as everything's in good shape. Perhaps your point of view is a bit flawed. Go ride in a YJ then reevaluate.
i've ridden in other jeeps so I can compare it to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
we don't know the mileage so I will say just maybe your shocks are finished. A stock TJ when new rides pretty soft from what I remember . I can't think of a reason to have 38psi in a TJ's tires .If you have stock tires do what the door sticker says or slightly less. If the person who told you to put 38psi in your tires told you to do anything else undo it .
it has 127,000 miles on it. i do not have stock tires. slightly bigger at 29.5". and they are brand new.
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

He's got 17" rims????
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you want good gas milage while still getting a good ride then picked the worst car possible as you DD... Yeah Jeeps might have good rides stock and/or new, but nothing good ever lasts forever.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
silver60th
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OME shocks and springs will give you a remarkably better ride. Your control arms have a good bit to do with the ride as well...I know on XJ's we can use WJ control arms, which have an oval bushing. They make the ride smoother.

Other than that, lower your tire pressure (which you said you already did). Make sure you're not hitting your bumpstops. Also, something else not mentioned...what size rim are you using? The higher the rim diameter, the less tire you have to absorb the road with. A 15 or 16 in. rim would be your best bet.
silver60th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ride , shocks , smoother , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.