How difficult is it to replace front fenders on a TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How difficult is it to replace front fenders on a TJ?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How difficult is it to replace front fenders on a TJ?

I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ.

The previous owner drove the Jeep with the front fender liners missing and caused the front fenders to prematurely rust.
-- The only body rust is on the front fenders

The sale value of the vehicle significantly decreases due to that rust.

I found 'CAPA Certified' OE Replacement fenders, for $83 passenger side, $78 drivers side, brand new steel primed fenders.
-- Totaling $160 for a set of replacement front fenders.

How difficult is it to replace the front fenders?

I believe they are 100% bolt on, with no welding required.

Is it worth spending $160 on fenders, replacing them, rather then selling the Jeep with rusty fenders?

I'm measuring worth by money, but more so time as a significant factor.

awalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

very simple....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

So easy, even a caveman can do it...

Seriously though, 100% bolt-on & simple.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

easy,
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sure it is simple on a brand new, unrusted Jeep...

but how much more difficult will it be with a 1997 Jeep with 162,xxx miles, with fenders that are rusted through?

I really don't want to have to drill out bolts and tap new threads...

Also, is the fender flair removable and re-installable without breaking plastic pieces and needing replacements?

I don't want a $160 'simple' job, turning into drilling out 20 bolts and tapping new holes, and buying a new set of retainers for the stock fender flairs.
awalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Yuri
2001 TJ Wrangler 

"simple" isn't necessarily the same to everyone... we're probably talking a dozen bolts or-so per side.

You have to un-bolt all the garbage that's attached to the fenders (fuse box, washer bottle, etc). Then there are a few bolts holding it to the tub and some holding it to the grill. A few more bolts hold the battery bracket in place. If I remember correctly, that's about it.
Unread 04-25-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
ChaseO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Resurrecting this thread! I also have a 97 TJ Sahara and am going the fender replacement route. I live in a state with strict inspections, so nice tube fenders or metalcloaks are a no go...how long would it take a guy with average tinkering skills to remove/replace both fenders? Am I looking at an afternoon project or should I budget a full weekend?
ChaseO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #8
MrSundays
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseO
Resurrecting this thread! I also have a 97 TJ Sahara and am going the fender replacement route. I live in a state with strict inspections, so nice tube fenders or metalcloaks are a no go...how long would it take a guy with average tinkering skills to remove/replace both fenders? Am I looking at an afternoon project or should I budget a full weekend?
Literally just did this two days ago on my buddies rig so he could sell it. Make sure when you order the fenders they are Mopar because almost ALL aftermarket stock fenders don't come with some if the necessary rivets. You can always work around it and buy a bolt washer and nut to replace it but that's a pain when you don't have another car and no idea what size it needs to be. Other than that is a very straightforward job. I recommend starting with the drivers side, it's the easier of the two. The hardest part is backing some of the bolts out. All you have to do is find where the fender attaches to the body and grille and unbolt AFTER you unbolt everything attached to the fender like the washer bottle, AC compressor, battery box, etc.

Sent from my pocket brick
MrSundays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #9
ChaseO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I didn't buy mopar, but I plan on replacing all the fasteners anyway. Any specific difficulties you remember?
ChaseO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
Jughead
2011 WK 

There's a couple video's on you tube. Doesn't look that hard.
1970 Corvette Stingray 454
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2015, 12:36 AM   #11
swanyswan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm currently removing the drivers fender so I can sand and paint but I'm running into issues. Got most everything off but I'm having a difficult time taking off the bolts inside near the staring wheel on that flat surface. They seem to keep spining. I need to get those off so I can get the remaining few that are attached to the area right under/near the stearing wheel. Any suggestings? I have them soaking in PB Blaster overnight.
swanyswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2015, 04:26 AM   #12
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanyswan View Post
I'm currently removing the drivers fender so I can sand and paint but I'm running into issues. Got most everything off but I'm having a difficult time taking off the bolts inside near the staring wheel on that flat surface. They seem to keep spining. I need to get those off so I can get the remaining few that are attached to the area right under/near the stearing wheel. Any suggestings? I have them soaking in PB Blaster overnight.
Cut them off, drill out and tap. It was easy taking off my front fenders when I put on the metalcloaks, I just had 4 that broke. Didn't have any that spun though If yours are spinning I think some nutserts failed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.