How a differential works - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How a differential works

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know you have the answers to these questions but I'll try and play a long and will most likely learn something I did not know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I have a question. Can you mesh a pinion gear into a reverse cut ring gear without reversing the rotational direction the gear teeth spiral around the pinion gear head?
I'm struggling to picture the gears meshing without having a ring and pinion in front of me. However, I believe (and I know I could very well be wrong) that you may be able to mesh a standard cut pinion gear into a reverse cut ring gear if you flip the ring gear over to the other side of the pinion. This would however, change the direction that the ring gear rotates.

Thinking about it more this might make the coast side of the pinion mesh with the drive side of the ring gear so I guess they really wouldn't mesh correctly.

Please, enlighten me if you could. I'm curious now

Quote:
Can you think of a way to run a low pinion gear set in a high pinion application and still run hypoid gears?
Possibly a flipped low pinion axle running portals that reverse the rotation of the hub. Modifications to the oiling passages and such to keep the pinion bearings alive.

That or run flipped axles with a drivetrain setup that reverses the direction the driveshafts are rotating. Like rear engine buggies and using FWD engines that spin the opposite direction. This I know little about.

Quote:
What distinguishes the drive from the coast side on a ring gear?

The drive side of a tooth on the ring gear is more vertical and therefor more efficient at transferring the forces as the teeth of the pinion and ring gear mesh. Greater percentage of the force applied goes into rotating the ring gear.
The coast side of the tooth is more angled and therefor there is a significant force vector perpendicular to the direction of rotation that makes the ring and pinion want to push away from each other (ofcoarse, using the example of a low pinion D30 in front application while driving forward). With enough force, the housing will deflect, the teeth on the pinion gear will ride up to the thinner potion at the top of the ring gear tooth and the tooth will fail.

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #17
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I know you have the answers to these questions but I'll try and play a long and will most likely learn something I did not know

I'm struggling to picture the gears meshing without having a ring and pinion in front of me. However, I believe (and I know I could very well be wrong) that you may be able to mesh a standard cut pinion gear into a reverse cut ring gear if you flip the ring gear over to the other side of the pinion. This would however, change the direction that the ring gear rotates.

Thinking about it more this might make the coast side of the pinion mesh with the drive side of the ring gear so I guess they really wouldn't mesh correctly.

Please, enlighten me if you could. I'm curious now
You missed the key part which was the reason they are called reverse rotation is the rotation of the direction the teeth spiral around the pinion is reversed from a standard gear set. No, the teeth do not mesh between the two.

Quote:
Possibly a flipped low pinion axle running portals that reverse the rotation of the hub. Modifications to the oiling passages and such to keep the pinion bearings alive.

That or run flipped axles with a drivetrain setup that reverses the direction the driveshafts are rotating. Like rear engine buggies and using FWD engines that spin the opposite direction. This I know little about.
What if you extended the pinion to the back of the ring and pinion and turned it from there?

Quote:
The drive side of a tooth on the ring gear is more vertical and therefor more efficient at transferring the forces as the teeth of the pinion and ring gear mesh. Greater percentage of the force applied goes into rotating the ring gear.
The coast side of the tooth is more angled and therefor there is a significant force vector perpendicular to the direction of rotation that makes the ring and pinion want to push away from each other (ofcoarse, using the example of a low pinion D30 in front application while driving forward). With enough force, the housing will deflect, the teeth on the pinion gear will ride up to the thinner potion at the top of the ring gear tooth and the tooth will fail.

Yep, the coast side is ramped and tries to push the pinion away from the ring gear under load. When the pinion tooth walks out high enough to push on the thinner top edge, you break teeth off or crack them at the root of the tooth.
Unread 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #18
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Perhaps this is sticky worthy
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #19
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You missed the key part which was the reason they are called reverse rotation is the rotation of the direction the teeth spiral around the pinion is reversed from a standard gear set. No, the teeth do not mesh between the two.
Ahh, I see. So "reverse rotation" is a correct term for the gear set. I feel that it is easier to call them "reverse cut" for the simple reason of not confusing people. "reverse rotation" makes some believe that they in some way changes the direction of rotation of the ring and pinion gear which is not correct. It only changes the direction the teeth are cut around the pinion and ring gear

Quote:
What if you extended the pinion to the back of the ring and pinion and turned it from there?
I suppose that would have the same reversing effect. Do you have an example of an axle like this or is this just an idea that would, in theory, work?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Ahh, I see. So "reverse rotation" is a correct term for the gear set. I feel that it is easier to call them "reverse cut" for the simple reason of not confusing people. "reverse rotation" makes some believe that they in some way changes the direction of rotation of the ring and pinion gear which is not correct. It only changes the direction the teeth are cut around the pinion and ring gear
Reverse cut and reverse rotation are both correct and like you, I've chastised many a folk over what I thought was a misnomer until I had someone who owns a large axle company hand my butt back to me.

Quote:
I suppose that would have the same reversing effect. Do you have an example of an axle like this or is this just an idea that would, in theory, work?
I think there is a Corvette axle like that, but I've never looked it up.
Unread 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #21
My01Sahara
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is very worthy of Sticky classification. Would be nice if there were a bit of info to include after the video regarding how lockers tie this together (automatic and manual).
My01Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #22
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to know how this scenario would work:

You take a LP front diff, but instead of having forward torque applied to the coast side (angled side) of the gearset teeth, you flip flop the gear pitch angles on the ring and pinion so that the gears would mesh on the "drive" side whilst torquing forward? That way you could have a LP front but without the R and P pushing eachother apart whilst driving forward.

Another idea is to have symmetrical pitch angles on both sides of the gear teeth so that they would be just as strong in forward or reverse directions?

I am sure there is some reason why this wouldn't work, but I don't have any hands-on experience.
btn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #23
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I would like to know how this scenario would work:

You take a LP front diff, but instead of having forward torque applied to the coast side (angled side) of the gearset teeth, you flip flop the gear pitch angles on the ring and pinion so that the gears would mesh on the "drive" side whilst torquing forward? That way you could have a LP front but without the R and P pushing eachother apart whilst driving forward.
Not sure why you think you want a low pinion front, but you can do it the way you describe. It's done the other way all the time with low pinion axles to make them hi pinion. They simply flip them upside down and then run the motor the other way. As in the engine points backwards.

Quote:
Another idea is to have symmetrical pitch angles on both sides of the gear teeth so that they would be just as strong in forward or reverse directions?

I am sure there is some reason why this wouldn't work, but I don't have any hands-on experience.
It wouldn't be a hypoid gear then, it would be more like a spur and pinion gear and would make a lot of noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.