How a differential works - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How a differential works

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How a differential works

This is the best explanation of how a differential works I have ever seen. And it is from the 1930's !

It has some cool motorcycle riding the first minute and a half but you can skip ahead to 1:45 and that is where the tutorial really begins.

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This has been posted many times but it does provide a good basic understanding of how an open differential works
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It even includes LP vs. HP! Too bad it doesn't include the strength bonus from a HP30.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Ric-san
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice video..love the old scoots too...
Ric-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for the post, this was the first time ive seen a complete description and it really cleared up my mind
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
97_TJ_4L
2009 MK Patriot 

Good explanation of a differential...I never knew that either. My uncle, who was one of the founding fathers of Mopar, tried to explain the concept of a differential to me one time and I had no clue what he was saying, but this really clears it up. Good vid!
97_TJ_4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
tjtom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dang that really cleared up my confusion
tjtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:00 PM   #8
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

awesome explanation of how spider gears work. That was the onlything i've never really figured out exactly how they worked on a diff.
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I had an idea of how spiders worked but this makes it crystal clear now.
Unread 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So HP is when the driveshaft is high on the differential(More driveshaft clearance), and LP is when it's lowered... less clearance...

Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. View Post
So HP is when the driveshaft is high on the differential(More driveshaft clearance), and LP is when it's lowered... less clearance...

Right?
Yes, basically. The pinion is above the centerline of the housing vs. being below it (which does raise the point where the driveshaft attaches, raising the driveshaft). The ring and pinion on a HP axle are reverse cut so that the pinion and ring gear mesh the same way at the top of the housing as they do in a LP axle. They are not "reverse rotation" as some incorrectly term them. Everything is rotating the same direction only cut differently which is why gears will not interchange between LP and HP axle housings.

A HP front axle is beneficial because the forces when in a forward gear are being placed on the "Drive side" of the ring and pinion gears which are designed to take the most load. With a LP axle, the forces in a forward gear are place on the "coast side" of the ring and pinion. This can cause more housing deflection and eventually gear failure if pushed too hard because the gears are actually trying to push each other apart due to the more angled faces of the gears.

A high pinion axle is strongest in the front and a low pinion axle is strongest in the rear. Keep in mind that this is when moving forward.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent, now it makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great video. Took me from "no idea how it works" to "that makes sense".
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #14
TJ_Jerry
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
Great video. Took me from "no idea how it works" to "that makes sense".
It's and eye opener !!
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Yes, basically. The pinion is above the centerline of the housing vs. being below it (which does raise the point where the driveshaft attaches, raising the driveshaft). The ring and pinion on a HP axle are reverse cut so that the pinion and ring gear mesh the same way at the top of the housing as they do in a LP axle. They are not "reverse rotation" as some incorrectly term them. Everything is rotating the same direction only cut differently which is why gears will not interchange between LP and HP axle housings.
I have a question. Can you mesh a pinion gear into a reverse cut ring gear without reversing the rotational direction the gear teeth spiral around the pinion gear head?

Can you think of a way to run a low pinion gear set in a high pinion application and still run hypoid gears?

Quote:
A HP front axle is beneficial because the forces when in a forward gear are being placed on the "Drive side" of the ring and pinion gears which are designed to take the most load. With a LP axle, the forces in a forward gear are place on the "coast side" of the ring and pinion. This can cause more housing deflection and eventually gear failure if pushed too hard because the gears are actually trying to push each other apart due to the more angled faces of the gears.
What distinguishes the drive from the coast side on a ring gear?

Quote:
A high pinion axle is strongest in the front and a low pinion axle is strongest in the rear. Keep in mind that this is when moving forward.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.