JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   How a differential works (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/how-differential-works-1159102/)

TJ_Jerry 01-26-2011 09:46 AM

How a differential works

This is the best explanation of how a differential works I have ever seen. And it is from the 1930's !

It has some cool motorcycle riding the first minute and a half but you can skip ahead to 1:45 and that is where the tutorial really begins.

MO2500 01-26-2011 09:59 AM

This has been posted many times but it does provide a good basic understanding of how an open differential works :thumbsup:

ajf1994 01-26-2011 10:08 AM

It even includes LP vs. HP! Too bad it doesn't include the strength bonus from a HP30.

Ric-san 01-26-2011 10:27 AM

Nice video..love the old scoots too...

Jon-joN 01-26-2011 12:32 PM

thanks for the post, this was the first time ive seen a complete description and it really cleared up my mind

97_TJ_4L 01-26-2011 12:51 PM

Good explanation of a differential...I never knew that either. My uncle, who was one of the founding fathers of Mopar, tried to explain the concept of a differential to me one time and I had no clue what he was saying, but this really clears it up. Good vid!

tjtom 01-26-2011 01:21 PM

Dang that really cleared up my confusion

jeepbro's 01-26-2011 03:00 PM

awesome explanation of how spider gears work. That was the onlything i've never really figured out exactly how they worked on a diff.

BriansCJ 01-26-2011 03:16 PM

I had an idea of how spiders worked but this makes it crystal clear now.

Erik T. 01-26-2011 03:38 PM

So HP is when the driveshaft is high on the differential(More driveshaft clearance), and LP is when it's lowered... less clearance...

Right?

MO2500 01-26-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik T. (Post 10860172)
So HP is when the driveshaft is high on the differential(More driveshaft clearance), and LP is when it's lowered... less clearance...

Right?

Yes, basically. The pinion is above the centerline of the housing vs. being below it (which does raise the point where the driveshaft attaches, raising the driveshaft). The ring and pinion on a HP axle are reverse cut so that the pinion and ring gear mesh the same way at the top of the housing as they do in a LP axle. They are not "reverse rotation" as some incorrectly term them. Everything is rotating the same direction only cut differently which is why gears will not interchange between LP and HP axle housings.

A HP front axle is beneficial because the forces when in a forward gear are being placed on the "Drive side" of the ring and pinion gears which are designed to take the most load. With a LP axle, the forces in a forward gear are place on the "coast side" of the ring and pinion. This can cause more housing deflection and eventually gear failure if pushed too hard because the gears are actually trying to push each other apart due to the more angled faces of the gears.

A high pinion axle is strongest in the front and a low pinion axle is strongest in the rear. Keep in mind that this is when moving forward.

Erik T. 01-26-2011 08:05 PM

Excellent, now it makes sense!

Whybu1 01-27-2011 08:16 AM

Great video. Took me from "no idea how it works" to "that makes sense".

TJ_Jerry 01-27-2011 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whybu1 (Post 10864289)
Great video. Took me from "no idea how it works" to "that makes sense".

It's and eye opener !!

mrblaine 01-27-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MO2500 (Post 10860335)
Yes, basically. The pinion is above the centerline of the housing vs. being below it (which does raise the point where the driveshaft attaches, raising the driveshaft). The ring and pinion on a HP axle are reverse cut so that the pinion and ring gear mesh the same way at the top of the housing as they do in a LP axle. They are not "reverse rotation" as some incorrectly term them. Everything is rotating the same direction only cut differently which is why gears will not interchange between LP and HP axle housings.

I have a question. Can you mesh a pinion gear into a reverse cut ring gear without reversing the rotational direction the gear teeth spiral around the pinion gear head?

Can you think of a way to run a low pinion gear set in a high pinion application and still run hypoid gears?

Quote:

A HP front axle is beneficial because the forces when in a forward gear are being placed on the "Drive side" of the ring and pinion gears which are designed to take the most load. With a LP axle, the forces in a forward gear are place on the "coast side" of the ring and pinion. This can cause more housing deflection and eventually gear failure if pushed too hard because the gears are actually trying to push each other apart due to the more angled faces of the gears.
What distinguishes the drive from the coast side on a ring gear?

Quote:

A high pinion axle is strongest in the front and a low pinion axle is strongest in the rear. Keep in mind that this is when moving forward.

The time now is 02:52 AM.