How To Determine If A REMOVED Steering Stabilizer Is Defective? (2003 Rubicon) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How To Determine If A REMOVED Steering Stabilizer Is Defective? (2003 Rubicon)

JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
TJorDie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Hebron, KY (Born & raised in Cincinnati, OH), Hebron, Ky
How To Determine If A REMOVED Steering Stabilizer Is Defective? (2003 Rubicon)

I am getting some intermittent death wobble. It usually appears @ 50 mph or when I hit some uneven pavement/bumps. It seems to be getting progressively worse. Stock Rubi, no mods. I search the intraweb and cant find any info about how you determine if a Steering Stabilizer is bad once it's removed ( I just took it off 1/2 hour ago). I can push it in & out without a lot of effort but it still has resistance. Should I have to use maximum force if it were good?

What say you Jeep experts??

Unread 08-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First, a bad steering stabilizer... even if completely blown out... is never the cause of Death Wobble.

Push-pull on your steering stabilizer, it should present an equal amount of very firm resistance in both directions. Being as it is hydraulic, it will stay put at whatever position you leave it at. It will not expand out on its own as gas-charged shocks do.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
thel8one
2006 TJ Wrangler 

is it leaking oil?
thel8one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
wpparker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You should have a fairly good amount of pressure in both directions. If you have over 50k or 60k on the rubi. then just replace it but that is not your death wabble issue.
wpparker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the guy who runs the auto shop at my college said it is likely the stabilzer causing my issue, but since the tires are bad he told me make sure goodyear checks everything when they balance it and that should tell me what is bad if anything.
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You may want to check other items like a front end alignment, ball jointsm tie rod ends and anything that may be loose on the front end.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim6656 View Post
the guy who runs the auto shop at my college said it is likely the stabilzer causing my issue.
He is wrong about that. A stronger steering stabilizer can only temporarily mask Death Wobble symptoms but it is never the cure for the underlying root cause of the DW which is always caused by something else or a combination of problems.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I figured as much, I do not think they deal with jeeps much, his thoughts where the stabilizer, tierod ends, trac bar but seem to think it was the stabilizer.

Hopefully when I have my new tires put on and it aligned they will know for sure, then if anything is wrong or busted the school can fix it for the cost of the parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
He is wrong about that. A stronger steering stabilizer can only temporarily mask Death Wobble symptoms but it is never the cure for the underlying root cause of the DW which is always caused by something else or a combination of problems.
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
rmoonks
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a FYI before you go throwing lots of money at parts, go get the front end aligned. That's what cured my death wobble. If you still have it after that, then you can start looking elsewhere. Good luck.
rmoonks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

get the front end aligned, look for loose bolts, and get your wheels balanced. 99% of DW falls into that area.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim6656 View Post
the guy who runs the auto shop at my college said it is likely the stabilzer causing my issue, but since the tires are bad he told me make sure goodyear checks everything when they balance it and that should tell me what is bad if anything.
Completely ignoring its at a college

You really have to drill your auto mechanics on their jeep intelligence. I had one tell me those "crossed bars" (Steering) were bent and needed replacing..... and i know otehrwise from greasing joints every so often

The fact he said the tires are bad but its the steering stabilizer, should make me think he has only a bare basic idea. You could technically run without a stabilizer but you might have to really fight those bumps.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not your steering stabilizer, I cracked mine and it didn't cause any death wobble. I have since replaced and like the new one better than stock, just does a better job, and the steering feels better. I would start looking for play in you steering set-up also make sure the alignment is good.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorDie View Post
I am getting some intermittent death wobble. It usually appears @ 50 mph or when I hit some uneven pavement/bumps. It seems to be getting progressively worse. Stock Rubi, no mods. I search the intraweb and cant find any info about how you determine if a Steering Stabilizer is bad once it's removed ( I just took it off 1/2 hour ago). I can push it in & out without a lot of effort but it still has resistance. Should I have to use maximum force if it were good?

What say you Jeep experts??
OP - I just replaced the SS on my Rubi that has about 90k on it. Had the original stabilizer. I replaced it with a Monroe that looked exactly like the stock one.

The new stabilizer was very stiff to extend or compress. Really had to mean it. The old one has fairly easy to push or pull. Also, the stud that goes in the draglink was the same, so there was no need to remove the old one. Cut down on the time a bit.

Not going to dive to far into the DW comments (take most all of them with large grains of salt), but it is true that a SS cannot cause DW. But having a good, fresh one on there doesn't hurt anything either! With the exception that it might could inhibit the diagnosis of death wobble.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I had a death wobble problem, it was my ball joints. You can check that without spending any money. Jack up one side of the front end and see if there's any play in the wheel by trying to move it back and forth, pushing at the top and bottom. If there's play there, it's most likely your ball joints.
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy9876 View Post
When I had a death wobble problem, it was my ball joints. You can check that without spending any money. Jack up one side of the front end and see if there's any play in the wheel by trying to move it back and forth, pushing at the top and bottom. If there's play there, it's most likely your ball joints.
X2! I just cured my mini-DW (more of a shake/wobble really) problem with new ball joints. The push/pull trick on the tire was no help at all though. What finally showed where the play was, was sticking a pry bar inside the steering knuckle under the axle shaft and giving it a good downward push. this showed a good 1/16" of play in both ball joints the couldn't be felt in the push/pull tire test.

I know how much a pain tracking down DW can be, so, good luck

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.