How deep is too deep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How deep is too deep?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
ggrodregez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How deep is too deep?

When dealing with depth of water you can drive through, what items on a TJ are the limiting factors? Air intake? Axle breathers?

Pics at: [url]http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r253/ggrodregez/[/url]
ggrodregez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You dont want to go very deep at all if you have an auto trans - if you have manual dont shift unerwater or in mud

if your like me (big chicken) avoid going above floorboard at all costs
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Texan in Cali

how deep is too deep to shift a manual transmission. I've never wheeled my manual jeep like i have with auto 4x4's. where on the body would be the "danger" zone??
Texan in Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not sure.. I've shifted mine in all sorts of depths.. forward reverse forward reverse... we were doing trail maintenance one time and a beaver built a dam at one end of the trail and the water was flowing across my feet and out the other door... I got in some ruts and high centered.. forward/reversed it about 10 times..... clutch lasted 130K and actually it was the throwout bearing that gave..the clutch was still pretty good

...like this only deeper

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oID=1529479077

I've had more problems with the starter than the clutch. WD40 that baby if you get in deep. Not to say it can't cause clutch problems.. just haven't personaly experienced any.
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
geauxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
NavinRJohnson

I was almost over my headlights on New Year's Eve. Probably would have been screwed if I would have gotten stuck. But nothing stops the MTZs.

Obviously, it helps to have full doors on to avoid a big mess. And I don't shift under muddy water. If I get stuck, someone can pull my *** out.

Just don't suck a solid stream of water into your air intake and you are likely to have no acute problems. Change your diff fluid afterwards. Pressure wash the everlovin' @#$@ out of her when done. Special attention to the area around bushings and movable parts, etc.

'06 LJ (specs in profile, 35's, ARBs, rocket boosters, stealth technology, etc.)
NavinRJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
newcaddy4j

Yeah I'm not sure what to think when it comes to shifting in water. I've done it before and never had a problem.

In my old XJ I went through part of that big puddle / pond at Paragon. I had water flowing up the hood and across the windshield. I'd say it was easily up to the headlights. I never had any problems with the starter or electrical. I guess its all luck

Keep it Real Ol' XJ and TJ

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
newcaddy4j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
hbomb695

The deepest you can go is limited by your lowest breather tube (intake, differential breathers, etc). Boyle's Law states that as temperature decreases, pressure decreases, so if you dunk a warm pumpkin in water, and the breather is below water, the pressure drop inside the differential will suck the water in through the breather.
Unread 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #8
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

still, if when shifting in deep mud or water you get anything abrasive on the surface of clutch you are possibley going to ruin your clutch. Best to not shift. Start in gear without depressing clutch. If need to back up kill engine shift into reverse without depressing clutch and start engine
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54
still, if when shifting in deep mud or water you get anything abrasive on the surface of clutch you are possibley going to ruin your clutch. Best to not shift. Start in gear without depressing clutch. If need to back up kill engine shift into reverse without depressing clutch and start engine
That makes dumping the clutch kinda difficult...
'97 TJ Sport Black, 3.5" RE, PSC Trail Cage, Ford F150/Explorer Hybrid 8.8 Aussie locked, Lockright in the XJ HP 30, 4.88 gears, Borla Headers, No Muffler, 35x12.5 R15 Baja MTZs, Currie TrackBar. Homebuilt Longarm 4 link, AA HD SYE, TW CV DS, Warn tire carrier, Jeeperman front bumper, Warn X8000i with Amsteel Blue rope with a safety thimble, CO2
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Y2KWRANGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had no problems in this!

As far as drivetrain was concerned. Interior was another story!

Forgot I left the drain plugs out. No damage just some wet feet.

Canadian Jeep Club Member#1
Red Jeep Club Member #390
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/canadian-jeep-club-eh-364619/

bcjeep club.ca http://66.7.207.100/~bcjeepcl/index.php
Y2KWRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
geauxturbo
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2KWRANGLER
I had no problems in this!

As far as drivetrain was concerned. Interior was another story!

Forgot I left the drain plugs out. No damage just some wet feet.
How were your under-roos after that?
GeauxLook@myJeep
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #12
Y2KWRANGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxturbo
How were your under-roos after that?
Clean!!!!

Canadian Jeep Club Member#1
Red Jeep Club Member #390
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364619

bcjeep club.ca http://66.7.207.100/~bcjeepcl/index.php
Y2KWRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
drummerwookie

heres what ive been told on here....with manuals, if you push in on the clutch to shift, it opens the trans up enough for water to get in if you in water as deep as the trans....thats why if you go thru deep water, you want to make sure the bottom isnt soft enough to require you to have to stop the jeep, make sure you can just cruise thru it, and make sure you are in the gear you want and know will work, so you can use it all the way thru...ive had mine in water up to my headlights, which is pushing it, but it wasnt quite as high as the air intake, which is another thing nice on the TJs, the air intake is about as high as the top of the hood....in the YJs, they werent quite that high, and didnt point at an upwards angle like they do on the TJs...they're like a mini snorkel on the TJs.

really, just use your best judgement.....if you think its to deep, then it probably is

one time we had a flood in one of our small local wheeling spots, bc its right next to a river and it had rained for a week straight....well, my buddy in his yata 4X4 and me decided to check it out.....we get there, and the landing, which is like the parking lot for people with cars and things to go into for who just wants to fish, that was about 4 feet under water...i wasnt for sure how deep it was, so i tried to stay to the high side, and i had my friend in his yota talk to my thru the CB and tell me exactly how deep it was as i inched into it in 4-lo 1st gear, so that way i didnt have to hit the brakes going into it..well i knew it was going to be a long way to drive in that stuff, and knew the possibility of having to push in the clutch while in the puddle was good...so i told him to let me know when the bottom of my jeep was around an inch from the top of the water so i had time to stop and shift into reverse.....i didnt get any where close to the deepest part and had to back out..lol...

but again, just use your best judgement....i know a lot of people like to go flying thru deep puddles to make a splash, but i dont do that, i like to make as little splash as possible so the water doesnt temporarily become higher then it already is, and risk splashing it into the intake or the spark plugs/coil pack or what ever, bc ive seen to many jeeps hydro lock (right term?..having a brain fart here...lol) from flying thru a puddle thats only a foot deep, and having it get into parts that it shouldnt

that just all my take on it anyways.....wow, that was longer then i expected it to be..lol

gone, but never forgotten: 2006 rubicon, 1998 ZJ, 1995 YJ 4.0

metalhead jeep club #4
drummerwookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:29 PM   #14
freedom5
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've in about 4'+ of water, but my jeep has 9"s and 38s.
freedom5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #15
beryl

i think over 2 inches of water is too much because water sucks IMO! rocks are much better
beryl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.