How to conquer the interstate...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to conquer the interstate......

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
For33l

How to conquer the interstate......

So I have a 1998 Jeep TJ with a 4.0 manual with 165k on the OD with a 2in lift on 35s light ATs and I will be taking it to college next year which is 300 miles away (ofcourse....). So I will be traveling on the interstate a lot more now and I was curious what upgrades I could do to make it alittle more faster and smoother. I will have a complete tune up on it before I leave but is there anything else that could help me? I haven't really done anything to the engine other than replacing some parts like almost all my sensors, timing chain, new fuel injectors and AC compressor. The only thing I could really think of was a cold air intake, which I dont even know if they make a noticeable change. haha Right now I can cruse about 75 in 5th which is fine by all means but 300 miles goes a lot faster when your going 80 to 85 plus where I'm going is a bit more hilly also so thats the main reason of course.. Thanks!

P.S: Since I am going to college I can't drop my whole bank account in boring out the engine, turbo chargers, etc as much as I would LOVE to... (unless there is an alternative! )

For33l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
the59sound
2007 JK Wrangler 

You could always regear
Gulf Coast Jeep Club Member #3
Confidence is the feeling you have before you truly understand the situation.
the59sound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

35's on a 2" lift?

Get an extra set of wheels/tires. Probably 31's.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

what gears do you have ??????????????
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How often do you plan on making the drive?

Forget the cold air intake. Faster than 75 MPH? How well do speeding tickets and increased insurance premiums fit into your college budget?

I'm sure folks will jump on this but you don't have the best long distance commuter vehicle.

I agree with the 31" tires, stay with AT tires.
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure your speedometer is accurate? Did you replace the Speedo gear to match your tire size with your gear ratio?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Bhamshooter
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're only going to "save" a half hour driving time by going 85 instead of 75 on a 300 mile trip. 3.5 vs 4 hour drive. And your fuel economy will be worse at 85. Not to mention I don't feel comfortable in a short wheelbase vehicle going 85. I got mine up to 85 passing a semi on I-65 a week after I bought it, but it just felt wrong. Jeeps aren't made for high speed.

I drove a Jeep in college, and while my commute to/from campus to back home was only an hour drive, I rarely sped. I got a speeding ticket one Sunday night going back to school. Clocked me at 82, of course I was just coming down a hill and was passing someone, but after that money spent on the ticket, I took it a little slower. We've all been there. I was a horrible speedster when I was a teenage boy, but weren't we all? Slow down just a bit and don't risk tickets or losing control. In the end, you're talking about a half hour. Not worth getting there that little bit faster.
Bhamshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
For33l

[QUOTE=Bhamshooter;14326120]You're only going to "save" a half hour driving time by going 85 instead of 75 on a 300 mile trip. 3.5 vs 4 hour drive. And your fuel economy will be worse at 85. Not to mention I don't feel comfortable in a short wheelbase vehicle going 85. I got mine up to 85 passing a semi on I-65 a week after I bought it, but it just felt wrong. Jeeps aren't made for high speed.

thank you so much for taking the time to figure that out for me
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cold air intake, boring out your engine, chipping, turbo chargers all bad ideas that won’t give you much if any more power but will reduce your mileage. Well turbo chargers would probably increase power but at a cost to your engine.

Listen to Bhamshooter and others, driving 85 instead of 75 won’t save you that much time and will cost you in mileage and tickets. Wind resistance is exponential in relation to speed meaning that wind resistance goes up considerably for every increase in mph. A jeep is a box on wheels, it isn’t designed for high speeds, just take your time and enjoy the drive. Having the correct gear ratio is the best thing you can do to improve mileage and wear and tear on your drive train. As others have said, if you can’t do your gears think about smaller tires. Besides, the longer you’re in college the less reason you will find to go home, trust me.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
For33l

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRodney View Post
Cold air intake, boring out your engine, chipping, turbo chargers all bad ideas that won’t give you much if any more power but will reduce your mileage. Well turbo chargers would probably increase power but at a cost to your engine.

Listen to Bhamshooter and others, driving 85 instead of 75 won’t save you that much time and will cost you in mileage and tickets. Wind resistance is exponential in relation to speed meaning that wind resistance goes up considerably for every increase in mph. A jeep is a box on wheels, it isn’t designed for high speeds, just take your time and enjoy the drive. Having the correct gear ratio is the best thing you can do to improve mileage and wear and tear on your drive train. As others have said, if you can’t do your gears think about smaller tires. Besides, the longer you’re in college the less reason you will find to go home, trust me.
Thank you for being reasonable, so my next question which pretty stupid but is there anyway to get alittle more MPGs??? or anything else that would be helpful to have?
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Assuming your engine is operating as well as it can (fresh plugs, oil, filter, etc) and you're not lugging it there's nothing you can do for mileage. The poor mileage is a function of pushing your brick-shaped Jeep through the air at high speeds, not the engine. The very best thing you can do is slow down. Past 70mph or so, mileage takes a huge nose dive. The slower you go, the better your mileage will be on the highway. Simple as that.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Past 60-65 with tires that big takes a huge toll on fuel economy too. You don't need to be going over 70 mph to hurt mpg with a Wrangler on 35" tires.

Cold air intakes etc. aren't going to help with power, your lack of power is caused by the 35" tires. The only sure way to get the TJs power back is to regear both of your axles to a ratio that helps your engine turn those tires more easily. An axle ratio like 4.88, if you have the 5-speed transmission, will raise the engine rpms where they should be for 35" tires which will put the engine RPMs back where they should be which will both restore your power and very likely improve your mpg. However, regearing your axles costs right around $1200 or pretty close to it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by For33l View Post
Thank you for being reasonable, so my next question which pretty stupid but is there anyway to get alittle more MPGs??? or anything else that would be helpful to have?
Yea pretty much what Imped said, I’d add correct gears. You’ve done the tune up and maintenance so good for you. Think about a set of smaller tires that you can run at a higher pressure, which will make your jeep ride like a buckboard, but will improve mileage, not sure how much though. I know you don’t want to hear it but you are going to get your best mileage at 55mph.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nope.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by For33l View Post
I have yet to prove this out for myself, but have heard positive things about the correct fuel injector swap to a bosch 4 hole injector. you would have to do a search for part numbers and the vendor, which is something like precision injectors, iirc.

probably around $300 for a set. I really want to try this mod as the demonstrations would seem to support the claims.

I have not heard anyone say they switched to these and things went south.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.