How to clean my IAC and TPS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to clean my IAC and TPS?

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 10-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How to clean my IAC and TPS?

How would I can my IAC and TPS? From all the reading I have done I guess thats whats wrong this time. Thanks

Unread 10-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The TPS cannot cleaned. It either works, or does not. It can be tested for proper functioning.

You should have 5 volts going into the TPS. At idle, TPS output voltage must be greater than 200 millivolts. At wide open throttle (WOT), TPS output voltage must be less than 4.8 volts.. The best is to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. One of the other wires should show .26V (or so). The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) :

Purchase sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray.

1. Remove the Throttle body from the intake manifold.
2. Remove the IAC with a TORX 15 driver (2 bolts)
3. Gently wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body
4. Clean the IAC with Throttle Body Cleaner (not carburetor cleaner). Use cleaner, a rag, and a toothbrush. Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle as it is fragile and can be damaged easily
5. Also clean where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same throttle body cleaner
6. While you have the Throttle Body off, give it a good cleaning also.
7. Reinstall IAC, the Throttle body, and check idle quality.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thnaks guys. What does the MAP sensor do?
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
55willystruck

In addition, I'd highly recommend getting a new gasket for the TB before you do this-just in case you tear yours up on removal. Local supply stores here do NOT stock this gasket and it's an over-night deal. I get it, the throttle body cleaner, plugs, etc. and have them all on hand before tearing it down.

Also, keep in mind there are at least 3 different variations of IAC's that I'm aware of. Mine only uses 1 torx screw to hold it in place-most have 2 and some are a different configuration with 2.

I always remove the TB assembly from the rig, then strip down all sensors from it and THOROUGHLY clean it to mirror finish. Exercise the throttle plate very well and clean all residue from around it as well-a toothbrush works great for this. Clean all nooks and crannies in the TB-get everything to mirror finish. You don't want any haze, black ring or any other crap in there. I also exercise and clean the IAC, working the plunger and cleaning it well also. When satisfied everything is thoroughly clean, re-install all sensors then re-install TB with new gasket back on rig.

I've used many different kinds of TB cleaner and it is worth mentioning that if you have a higher mileage rig and this is the first time you've cleaned it, the dealer TB cleaner from Mopar is about the best/strongest I've used. It's a little more money at maybe $8-$10 a can, but for first time jobs, this is what I prefer. It cuts through the crap very well, and quickly. Standard off the shelf Napa stuff works good for follow up cleanings and is a little cheaper. Napa stuff will still work on a first time cleaning, but takes a little longer and more effort with the brush.

Hope that helps.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinjeeper View Post
Thnaks guys. What does the MAP sensor do?

The MAP sensor is used as an input to the Powertrain
Control Module (PCM). It contains a silicon
based sensing unit to provide data on the manifold
vacuum that draws the air/fuel mixture into the combustion
chamber. The PCM requires this information
to determine injector pulse width and spark advance.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is thee anyway to find out if the MAP sensor is going out?
Unread 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What's your issue so we can help you diagnose it? You're looking for a gremlin but not telling us what type of problem you're experiencing.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the other day my jeep started sputtering and just turned off. Almost like I was out of gas. I was not and still have fuel pressure. Kept cranking my jeep and would not start. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it started right up but the Idle was very low and stalled it. same issue, that I had to wait for 10 or so before it would start back up. So I was able to get it home by keeping my RPM's around 1k, finially get home and let my foot all the way off the gas and it still could not idle, it just died.
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) or when the battery goes bad and needs replacing.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal.

The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of time and the engine will start and idle normally. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

Unread 10-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have TJ. It is fuel injected. I know what you are talking about with the computer. That Has happened to me before, this however is not like that problem. it doesn't matter how long you let it sit to reset itself, the problem is still there. Actually both times it stalled I was accelerating and about 10-20 mph. I would sputter, and then die. after all that, It would not start for about 10 minutes and if I let the idle get too low it would die.
Unread 10-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, test the TPS and then test the battery and inspect the wire connections.

Low voltage will continue to re-boot the ECU and give you the stalling symptoms until you have proper voltage from clean connections and/or a new battery.

Unread 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
irish1642
2004 WJ 

i have the throttle body removed b8t im having trouble removing the wires from the IAC. i dont want to pull to hard and break somthing. is there a clip or something holding it in.
irish1642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
ble10
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1642 View Post
i have the throttle body removed b8t im having trouble removing the wires from the IAC. i dont want to pull to hard and break somthing. is there a clip or something holding it in.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cl...mmies-1114849/

yes a little plastic clip that holds the ends together. Wash your hands and give it another go. If not use some pliers with a rag around the teeth, just be light with them.
ble10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
irish1642
2004 WJ 

i ended up getting it thanks anyway though. i tried squezzing it with my fingers but it wasnt working so i ended up trying a pair of pliers and it worked
irish1642 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.