how to check if a frame is straight??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how to check if a frame is straight???

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
greenorangejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

how to check if a frame is straight???

so i bent my frame and i am going 2 look at a couple of frames and i want 2 know how to check if they are straight? Ty for ur time!!!!!

greenorangejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
greenorangejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Help plz!!!
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Without frame dimensions, you can only check with a tape measure. You need to check for square and parrallesim (sp). It is better if the frame is still attached to the suspension, but if not put the frame level on jackstands. You need to find locations on each side of the frame that match side to side, often there are holes in the fame that were used in manufacturing to position the frame in a jig. You can use crossmember bolt holes or whatever, but there has to be a corresponding hole on each side. With your tape measure from one location on one side to a different location on the other ( the further apart the better) and write down the measurment to within 1/16". Do this several times to ensure you are accurate. Now using the same locations, reverse the measurements side to side, like an × , the two measurements should be the same. If they are not, then the frame is not straight, and it would dogtrack if you used it. Do this check with as many locations as you can.
You can now check the centreline of the frame. Measure the crossmember centres and run a taut string down the centre of the frame, and measure to the frame rails from this centre line, the distance should be the same at each side, for each measurement. If they are not the frame is bent to one side. You may need to drop a plumb bob to the ground from the frame rails and crossmembers if there is obstacles preventing you from getting a line down the centre on top.
To check if the frame is bent up or down, you can use a long carpenters level accross the frame. This should be considered as field measurements only, but will help in identifying a bad frame. If you find what seems to be a good frame, I would still take it to a shop to verify.
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

how to check if a frame is straight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenorangejeep View Post
i want 2 know how to check if they are straight?
Put it next to a female frame and see if it gets excited.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

measure corner to corner with a tape measure in an x pattern. the closer to equal the two sides of the x are, the straighter the frame is.
Unread 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho88 View Post
measure corner to corner with a tape measure in an x pattern. the closer to equal the two sides of the x are, the straighter the frame is.
Good suggestion!
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Assuming it wasn't a female frame to begin with.
Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
Assuming it wasn't a female frame to begin with.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can't remember what years FSM these are out of but they may help.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great post JJ. In the second diagram, can we assume that when a TJ is setting level, there should be a 94mm difference between the front/rear frame rail to ground?

And if so, this can be used to check for sag, rake, etc?

Sorry to be off topic!
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good question. Which unfortunately I cannot answer definitively, as I don't know what angle the frame would sit at normally. And that's not to mention how much the stance of a TJ can change with relatively little change in weight. I think the FSM states that the beam alignment should be done with a full tank of gas and a specific amount of weight should be added above the tank for each gallon the tank is short, which gives some idea of how much the angle can change. You've got me thinking now. I'm wondering, just out of interest... If I can find where I put my digital angle finder I can compare how much the angle changes when i fuel up on the way home tomorrow. I'm also wondering how much of an angle my headlamp beam adjuster (it's an export thing) drops the beam aim.

The only two measurements that are the same there are the center body mount and the one behind it. So for the purpose of the measurements, the center box section of frame must be sat level, which anybody checking a bare frame could do, with stands on a level floor.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
greenorangejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ty u guys for all the good info!!!!!!!
Unread 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
So, will the ride get stiff?
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #14
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If I had a bent frame... I would just buy 8 adjustable CAs and go do a 4 wheel alignment. As long as all the doors shut, I wouldn't bother with it anymore than that.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
greenorangejeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
If I had a bent frame... I would just buy 8 adjustable CAs and go do a 4 wheel alignment. As long as all the doors shut, I wouldn't bother with it anymore than that.
My frame is super bent like almost not able 2 drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.