How to check if an axle housing is bent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to check if an axle housing is bent?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How to check if an axle housing is bent?

I found a HP D30 axle housing from a 92 XJ, with 3.73 gears, and good ball joints... for $50.

No shafts/unit bearings/brakes. (I'll be swapping mine over anyways)

But the seller says it may be bent.

Around here I can pick n' pull HP D30's for $100 all day long. There's 5 at the local yard right now. But I've yet to find anything other than 3.55. (So this 3.73 will save me from buying a new carrier for the regear).

How do I check it? Preferably with an easy method, that I can check when we meet instead of taking it to a mechanic/machinist to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the proper method is on v-blocks.
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

V-Blocks? Can ya explain that a bit more?

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No other options besides the mysterious V Blocks?

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
jpross
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I too would like to know. Ive heard you can take the carrier out and run a string all the way through. Make sure the string is centered at each end and when you look inside the pumkin the string should be centered going into each axle tube as well if it is straight.
jpross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Use a straight edge, compare one side to the other. Also, look very closely at axle tube where they connect to pumpkin.... look at the joint for signs of new metal being exposed. You will need to look close. If seller says "maybe bent", I would assume they are bent until proven other wise.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"maybe bent" usualy means - 'Its bent, but you might not notice right away, it only chews up bearings every few months'
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's sort of what I'm thinking. I had thought there was a method involving shining light on one end and looking down the tube.

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A straight edge works.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sitting here thinking about how you would do this.... I don't know how a straightedge would work... unless you remove the diff cover and carrier then have someone hold a long straightedge against the pumpkin on the machined surface. You could then check the straightedge against the height of the axle tube at several locations with another straightedge? You would have to rotate the axle housing and check all four sides maybe. And I don't know how you would check the other sides since you wouldn't be able to hold the straightedge against anything flat.

I'm sure someone else will come up with the method and I will look like an idiot for not figuring it out. I only went to high school, what can I say?

The string method sounds promising though I don't know how you would set it up. Maybe a couple jackstands at the perfect height on either side of the axle, then tie the string to the jack stands?

A modified V-block method would be to set the axle housing on two jack stands which would take the place of the v-blocks. Then take several measurements hopefully from a nice flat garage floor, to the axle tube in several locations. Rotate the axle housing so you get all four sides. Good luck.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
TJRUSSELL
2005 TJ Wrangler 

four metal pucks and a steel rod. Two of the pucks to fit in place of the carrier bearings. The other two fit into the recess on the flanges where the bearings would mount. Next, the rod would be passed through all the pucks which would align the flanges perfectly
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^ OK, that's a good idea. Probably cost more to manufacture the pucks than one of the unbent $100 HP30's though....
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
hatfield44
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hp...43/index7.html

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.