How to change color of Dash lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to change color of Dash lights?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-25-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
brewc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How to change color of Dash lights?

I was wondering if anyone has changed the color of your dash lights, want to make mine match the orange backlight of my Sirius Sportster radio. Any links where to get the bulb or led and how easy/hard it is?

brewc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #2
JPWheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to do this too (I thought blue would look cool) but IIRC I read somewhere that changing the bulb color won't make much of a difference, if any. The gauge color is actually part of the instrument panel itself and cannot be changed easily. Someone correct me if I'm wrong (hopefully I am)

2000 TJ Sport - Forest Green - 4.0L I6 5-Speed, Soft top, Stock D30/35c, 3.73's, RE 2" BB, 1"BL, MML, 32x11.5 BFG M/T's, 15x8 Unique black steelies, JKS QD's, Hanson 52" front, Jeeperman rear bumper/tire carrier, Jeeperman Trail Skidz, Warn 9.5ti w/ Viking Trail Line synthetic rope, Roundeyes H4 headlight conversion, 130w KC SlimLite Titanium Fogs, Pioneer HU w/ iPod integration, Cobra CB w/ Firestik II, Husky floor liners front & rear, Wet Okole neoprene seat covers FTL!

Green Jeep Club Member #80
Colorado Jeep Club Member #58

DD:
98 BMW M3 Coupe, Arctic Silver, 3.2L I6, 5-speed
JPWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
LJPeej

if you pull the dash apart the lights are covered with blue "condom" thingys and if you take those off your lights look a light orangish......this works for the gauges around the spedometer and those gauges but not anything else.
You can also buy new lights of a dif color to put in there
Unread 03-25-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJPeej
if you pull the dash apart the lights are covered with blue "condom" thingys and if you take those off your lights look a light orangish......this works for the gauges around the spedometer and those gauges but not anything else.
You can also buy new lights of a dif color to put in there
Your '05 may look orange, but my '98 looks like its lit with white light without those "condoms."

I tried tinting the bulbs with a sharpie pen but it was too opaque - made the light a bit weak. Maybe highlighter ink would work?
Unread 03-25-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy the bulbs in many colors. Or, you can buy the bulb condoms in many colors. But the panel itself is indeed colored and will change the bulb color somewhat. Experiment with it! It's not hard.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I took the "comdoms" off of the bulbs in my 05 and it made the lights nice and orangish. I like it a lot better.

2007 Avalanche LTZ
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
twobag14

can you get some pics
Unread 03-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
bloke279

I just want my gauge needles to be be a brighter red...like in the advertisements
Magnaflow CAT Back Exhaust
285/75r/16 BFG A/T on rubi wheels
Clear marker lenses
JKS discos

[COLOR=Silver][B]Silver jeep club member #76[/B][/color]
bloke279 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
trekkindave
2007 JK Wrangler 

those light bulb "condoms" are called gels..
trekkindave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
koisanke

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthrea...rument+cluster

Check the link in this post it may help show you a little of what you want to do. Somewhere I also saw where there is a company making replacement instrument cluster backgrounds. I will look for this link also.
koisanke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

I know somebody on the forum pulled the instrument cluster didnt replace any bulbs but colored in the white part in red looked decent in the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
1fastR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check EBay for the instrument cluster covers. There was a thread on here about them not long ago. Might have a link I will look. They are cheap but look pretty cool.
1fastR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #13
hikerpaddler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I went into my dash to fix that intermittent short in the cluster. While I was in there, I pulled the blue condoms off the cluster lights. Someone here said it made for a cool orange-red glow, as opposed to the clean white light provided with the blue condoms. With the blue things removed, it looks like every dash did up until the early 80's or 90's. It makes it look old. Not bad, just old.
hikerpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:59 AM   #14
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastR
Check EBay for the instrument cluster covers. There was a thread on here about them not long ago. Might have a link I will look. They are cheap but look pretty cool.
This what you mean?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...spagenameZWDVW
or this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
JMaldo

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I purchased a set of those about 6 months ago(The one i bought was a one piece design).. What a waste of money.

Im sure it was just me, but its a pain in the butt, the one piece design was so much fun putting on my dash(took me over 2 hours). Once one, i guess i must of streched the once piece cover, because once on, some of my gauges didnt work...After trying to modify it, i said screw it and cut it off....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.