how can you tell if ball joints are bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > how can you tell if ball joints are bad?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how can you tell if ball joints are bad?

Never messed with anything like this before, but how can you tell if they are bad, or on the way. and how does one go about changing them? oh front ones, by the way. thank you!

Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
WreckMaster
2002 WJ 

jack up the jeep from the axle until the tire is a couple inches off the ground. put a prybar under the tire. Then put a pipe under the prybar sideways. Push down (pry up) onthe prybar. if you feel play upand down then ur ball joints are bad. Always better to have somebody else look from in front if u can't see.
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jack up the front end. Use jack stands also to keep it safe.
Grasping the top and bottom of each wheel, pull on the bottom and push on the top to feel for play. Then pull on the top while pushing on the bottom. You are rocking from the side of the vehicle to the center of it to test for clearance between the ball and the socket. You really need to but your back into it. If you feel ANY play you have a bad ball joint or the it may be loose wheel bearings (but you may be able to 'feel' where the clearance is). Replace both sides even if only one side feels loose.
Shade-tree style is to try to rock the top of the tire while it on the ground but that can only test the top ball joint

You only have front ball joints.

Do this to replace them. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
mhcurlee
2006 TJ Wrangler 

get a buddy to get behind the wheel and quickly steer the wheel back and forth while you get under and watch the joints. It should be easy to spot a bad joint (they will have slop/play )
mhcurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
WreckMaster
2002 WJ 

you won't see a bad ball joint from turning the wheel back and forth. Thats how you check tie roads and steering components. The weight of the jeep is on the bal joints, You need to jack it up from and support it from the axle. But pushing it by hand is not sufficient, but it will work if they are absolutely wasted. Like I said b4, Use a pry bar also. You will be surprised how much more efficient it is.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are almost zero lower balljoints in use after a few thousand miles that do not have some up and down play. Up and down play in the lowers will also translate into up and down in the uppers because the upper pins float up and down inside their races.

If you jack it up and lever the tire up and down and replace the balljoints because there is some up and down play, you're wasting time and parts.

I just went through this with John who was having serious DW issues and many many folks told him it was his balljoints including some mechanics at shops.

His DW is now gone and he still has his original balljoints with over 110,000 miles on them.

OTOH, if you have the slightest side to side or front to back play in the uppers, replace them because they will cause DW.
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
There are almost zero lower balljoints in use after a few thousand miles that do not have some up and down play. Up and down play in the lowers will also translate into up and down in the uppers because the upper pins float up and down inside their races.

If you jack it up and lever the tire up and down and replace the balljoints because there is some up and down play, you're wasting time and parts.

I just went through this with John who was having serious DW issues and many many folks told him it was his balljoints including some mechanics at shops.

His DW is now gone and he still has his original balljoints with over 110,000 miles on them.

OTOH, if you have the slightest side to side or front to back play in the uppers, replace them because they will cause DW.

out of curiousity, what did you guys do to get rid of his DW? I know every jeep is different, and what worked for him, may not work for everyone.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
out of curiousity, what did you guys do to get rid of his DW? I know every jeep is different, and what worked for him, may not work for everyone.
Diagnose and replace. Or, he finally found all the worn out parts and replaced them from 100,000 miles of slightly out of balance tires. The list was long and expensive that would have been mitigated by keeping his tires balanced.
Unread 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Danny0717
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

So are you saying its OK to have this up and down movement? I have this issue and its causing a real problem when driving on the freeway when i hit a bump. Should i replace them or not or what should i do?
Danny0717 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.