How can I tell what kind of soft top I have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can I tell what kind of soft top I have?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
Reconkat

How can I tell what kind of soft top I have?

Howdy Folks, I was just wondering if there is a way I can tell what kind of soft top I have on my 01'TJ ? I'm wanting to replace the clear windows with tinted but I want to make sure it's a factory top and not aftermarket. Considering it's only a 2001 model and the windows look well worn I assume it hasn't been replaced , but again I'd like to make sure.

Also, I'm new to these forums and a new Jeep owner. I have to say that this has been one of the most helpful sites I have found. If it wasn't for this forum I would have already spent way too much money to fix a few minor problems. Big thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge

Reconkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
99TJSport
2008 JK Wrangler 

If the softtop bows mount to brakets on the rollbar and the pieces surrounding the door are plastic and completely seperate from the soft top frame itself, then it's factory. Otherwise it's an aftermarket top of somesort. Maybe somebody with one of those can give a better description since I've not owned one for a TJ.

Parrothead Jeepers Union #24
99TJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
linux24

#4 this week.

The factory soft top is made by Bestop (the maker of most aftermarket soft tops). So, your question is kind of moot, as the factory top and one of the after-market tops are probably identical. Mine is an '04, and the factory top on it is the Bestop Sailcloth top. Jeep does not manufacture them, they just buy them from a 3rd party vendor and assemble them on the line.
linux24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
bfr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

most aftermarket tops have a tag sewn on them near the back window.

there are two different sets depending on the model year of Jeep. The zippers changed between 2002 and 2003. I have noticed several sets on ebay that were described as 97 & up, when they should have been either 97-02 or 03 & up.
Unread 03-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
bradb511

IDK about the top but i see your from dallas... Where at?

"lift your Jeep...fat chicks can't jump"
bradb511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Reconkat

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry for the n00b question.

bradb511, Currently I live in Euless close to 183 and 360.
Reconkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.