How can I get the front wheel hub off the axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How can I get the front wheel hub off the axle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How can I get the front wheel hub off the axle?

I'm replacing the U-joints in my front axle... got the passenger side done without any problems but now on the driver side I can't get the hub off the knuckle. I've been soaking it with WD-40 and banging around edge with a hammer and screwdriver for a while but still nothing. Even managed to break the screwdriver. Any tips or tricks for getting this off so I can pull the shaft out??

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
TJ Rat
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used a two jaw puller. You might want to try some PB Blaster or Kroil instead of WD40.

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional.
Mud is a Requirement Either Way!
TJ Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
wyldejackyl

WD-40 is best for Water Displacement..every other use is secondary. PB Blaster is good stuff, as is liquid wrench.
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
jeepfury

What I did was pretend that I was a baseball player and beat the hub "carefully" with a small sledge until it came off. Make sure you hit around and not just one spot.

00 Cherokee Classic- Stock
jeepfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

mrBlaine gets the credit for this handy little trick! Hopefully I pass it on correctly....I've not tried it myself as I've never had to deal with that much rust.

Rotate the tire until the yoke ears on the outer stub shaft are parallel to the ground.

Obtain proper length grade 8 bolt and insert as shown in the below picture.

Turn the wheel, causing the yoke to press against the bolt head....this causes the unit bearing to push out a bit on that side of the knuckle.

Now turn the wheel back and bit and relocate the bolt on the other yoke ear and turn the steering wheel until it contacts the bolt.....pushing that side out a bit.

Alternate back and for, a bit at a time, until the unit bearing is free of the knuckle.

And yes, use penetrating oil like PB Blaster, not WD-40.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
DavidC
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What a cool idea!

Makes me want to replace my axle U-jonts...... again.

We in the rust belt salute you.
99 Sahara D30/44 w ARB's and 4.10's, Warn 9.5TI,AA SYE & Wood's shaft,Raingler nets,Jeeperman trail skids,Warn gas tank and steering box skid's, BDS 2" springs, Currie control arms,32" MTR's,AEV Bridger wheels, custom made tire carrier bumper,Dynomax cat back JKS quicker disco's.PSC Trail Cage,Banks header,LiteDots.PSC Trail Corners.
92 CDN M101 trailer, 33" TSL Swampers,camo paint. Original camo tarp.
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #7
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I get it... no WD-40! ... It was all I had in the garage at the moment and I was hoping to bang this project out quick without going to the store before I drove back to school today. I was afraid of dystroying the hub though since I didn't have alot of time to run to the parts store so I ended up putting everything back together and saving the U-joint for another time so I could get on the road.

Some good ideas here though... that bolt trick looks especially interesting... I'll try that first next time I can tackle this again but for some reason I'm thinking my power steering pump is no match for this much rust haha... although the axle in those pics looks worse than the 18 year old one in my Jeep! We'll see what happens.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC
What a cool idea!

Makes me want to replace my axle U-jonts...... again.

We in the rust belt salute you.
You're welcome and if you notice, there was no penetrants of any variety used. Just leverage and a bit of ingenuity. Pops the unit bearings right out of the knuckle.

As Stu said, do a little on each side so as to push the bearing out of the knuckle as straight as possible.
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299
Alright I get it... no WD-40! ... It was all I had in the garage at the moment and I was hoping to bang this project out quick without going to the store before I drove back to school today. I was afraid of dystroying the hub though since I didn't have alot of time to run to the parts store so I ended up putting everything back together and saving the U-joint for another time so I could get on the road.

Some good ideas here though... that bolt trick looks especially interesting... I'll try that first next time I can tackle this again but for some reason I'm thinking my power steering pump is no match for this much rust haha... although the axle in those pics looks worse than the 18 year old one in my Jeep! We'll see what happens.

It was done without the engine running. There is a phenomenal amount of leverage generated.
mrblaine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread but it is timeless advice. I used this method this evening and had my hubs off and axles out in about 5 minutes!

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Added to the FAQ. Thanks for bringing this back.

Search terms: unit bearing, hub bearing, wheel bearing, D30 unit bearing, dana 30 unit bearing, unit bearing removal, stuck unit bearing, seized unit bearing, remove unit bearing.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Mousejockey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I use that method to pop the hubs out fo the Dodge 3500's at work also (Unlike mrblain I use oil as I go along)
Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
holt03

for easy removal screw the two out side bolts in to about 1/8 inch from tight and hit them with lead hammer alternatlly. make sure to use lead or brass hammer so as not to damage the bolt head
holt03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt03 View Post
for easy removal screw the two out side bolts in to about 1/8 inch from tight and hit them with lead hammer alternatlly. make sure to use lead or brass hammer so as not to damage the bolt head
If you ever try the bolt trick, you'll throw your lead hammer in the trash.
Unread 08-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
bbuske
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This Worked great for me, I'm just glad I visited Stu's site before breaking out the BFH.

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Looking to Buy Full Doors and a HardTop near Northern California, PM me if you have them for sale or have a lead on some[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbuske is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bearing removal , hub bearing , knuckle , seized , unit bearing , wheel bearing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.