How bad of an idea is this? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How bad of an idea is this?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redqueenblack
Good idea! Do you have a link where I can buy those types of nets?
I've seen nylon strap netting that fully encloses the rear area, my buddy had it for his dogs. I even think there are more than a couple manufacturers that make TJ specific kits. Sorry I don't have any links, but think I remember seeing them available in magazines. I'd suggest an army surplus store for netting if you want to see if do it yourself is cheaper. Sorry if not much help, but thought I'd chime in.

J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Terdar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Something like the 1 3/4 mesh would work, use some para cord to attach it to the roll bars.

http://www.gourock.com/netting-square-foot.html

If you order some, get more than you think you'll need and trim off the excess.
Terdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #18
Lastshot
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_sinclair View Post
How about this: http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B002BKJML0

They are designed to allow you to mount a bike rack while keeping your receiver functional. Grab that and a hitch rack, you will only be into it just over $100 and you will probably use it in the future.
X2, grab that and a harbor freight hitch rack and call it a day. I wouldn't put any weight on the soft top bows...
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
Lastshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

With a 20% (or 25%) off coupon, you can get a little Harbor Freight 4' trailer with 12" tires out the door for under $200. You're already half way there money-wise if you go the hitch rack route, and a trailer is much more versatile. Then a half-sheet of plywood for the floor and strap your bag to the trailer.

If you want to take it a step or two further, check this thread out:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
hf-four-foot-trailer.jpg  
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #20
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

though about a front hitch, and mounting a cargo rack in front?
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
oldstyle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
though about a front hitch, and mounting a cargo rack in front?
.....or a bike rack on the front. I've used a universal type rack made for a car and strapped it on front of the Jeep.
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Put the cat and dogs in a Carrier, take the top off and fabricate a rack for upstairs and put the travel bag on it as well as some of the other stuff.

Get carriers at st vinceint de paul or goodwill. cheap

don't want a cat running loose inside anyway. you will pay for it, cat and dogs will be happier. Just stop every so offten to let them go tinkle. Watch out for the cat, will want to run away. Or give the cat away (mom or Sister).

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
redqueenblack

Links to netting

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I've seen nylon strap netting that fully encloses the rear area, my buddy had it for his dogs. I even think there are more than a couple manufacturers that make TJ specific kits. Sorry I don't have any links, but think I remember seeing them available in magazines. I'd suggest an army surplus store for netting if you want to see if do it yourself is cheaper. Sorry if not much help, but thought I'd chime in.
I looked into the netting idea. Here's a link for one by Smittybilt:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14070_9302_07.htm

redqueenblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
redqueenblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstyle View Post
.....or a bike rack on the front. I've used a universal type rack made for a car and strapped it on front of the Jeep.
I already got the Thule Spare Me bike rack off craigslist.

Which, by the way, I'm selling after one use. I'm using it to bring my mom a road bike I don't use anymore. If anyone wants it and is on the West Coast or Arizona, send me a PM...
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
redqueenblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
With a 20% (or 25%) off coupon, you can get a little Harbor Freight 4' trailer with 12" tires out the door for under $200. You're already half way there money-wise if you go the hitch rack route, and a trailer is much more versatile. Then a half-sheet of plywood for the floor and strap your bag to the trailer.

If you want to take it a step or two further, check this thread out:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/
ArmyRN, that build is ah-MAY-zing! So beautiful. I don't know if I have the time (and skill) to throw something like that together so quickly, but I may do it as a project for later trips!
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
Terdar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redqueenblack View Post
I looked into the netting idea. Here's a link for one by Smittybilt:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14070_9302_07.htm

That'd work if you want to go topless and have a cargo rack on top. If you want it just to carry stuff under the soft top, I don't think you'd get much in there.
Terdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #27
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redqueenblack View Post
ArmyRN, that build is ah-MAY-zing! So beautiful. I don't know if I have the time (and skill) to throw something like that together so quickly, but I may do it as a project for later trips!
Thanks for the compliment.

But really, these little trailers are a simple bolt-together project (a couple of hours), and places like Home Depot and Lowes will cut plywood to the size you need. Then all you have to do is mark the holes you need to drill to bolt the plywood to the frame and then buy some straps to strap your bag thing to the trailer. Oh, and repack the trailer's factory bearings with some good quality grease before hitting the road.

Then later you can turn it into "a project". But for now it'll get you and your gear to WA, and free up space inside your Jeep for your critters and such.

You might be able to find a good cheap used one where somebody bought it, used it a few times and now wants to get rid of it.

Bellingham is pretty. We took the ferry from there to Haines, Alaska when we went on our Alaska/Canada Adventure Tour.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.