How to adjust hardtop? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to adjust hardtop?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
magnato1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How to adjust hardtop?

Hi everyone,

I can hear a lot of wind coming in between the hardtop and the windshield when I am on the freeway. Is there a way to adjust the hardtop so this will not happen, or do I need a new seal? What's the deal? I mean, I know it's a Jeep and it's going to be noisy, but the amount of wind coming in seems somewhat ridiculous. I tried searching for this topic, but found nothing. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

magnato1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
john NC
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

are you sure the latches are both latched all the way? it may sound stupid but i drove around for a couple weeks thinking i needed a new seal when i had just forgotten to latch one
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
magnato1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hahaha, no I am sure that they're fully latched. I was hoping that there is a way to adjust the latches. Anybody know?
Unread 08-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No way to adjust the latches.
You could try putting a layer or two of duct tape on the edge of the opening the latch hooks into, to tighten it up a bit. Probably not a permanent fix.

You can try to slide the top either forward or most likely, rearward a bit. You want the edge of the top flush with windshield - if it's forward even a hair it gets noisy.

Otherwise your seal may be shot.

For a quick fix, a strip of black electrical tape on the seam (all the way across) will stop the noise.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a new seal is in order!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you feel any of the wind you're hearing? I'd imagine it would be pretty obviously breezy if that were the case.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
magnato1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Guess I'll have to pull it off and look at the seal. Is there a seal on the windshield and the hardtop or just the hardtop?
Unread 08-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
03silversport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just the hard top i believe, it's been a few months since i have looked at my hardtop but i don't think there is a seal on the actual hard top, just the top of the windshield.
03silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
magnato1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Silversport, sorry, your response seems to contradict itself. First you say it's the hard top, then that the seal is on the windshield. Which did you mean?
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #10
Jonasty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. I just got some of that foam sealing stuff that has a strip of double-sided tape on one side and put some on the front of the hardtop under the lip. It worked like a charm and has kept working even though I have taken the hardtop off and put it back on a couple times without replacing the tape.

2000 Solar Yellow TJ Sport

[URL="http://www.miliaryjeepers.com"]Military Jeepers[/URL]
Jonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just checked my hardtop hanging in the garage, there is NO seal on it, only the windshield....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes a hard top will be bolted onto the rear first before it is properly seated to the windshield which can prevent a good seal at the windshield. Loosen all the rear hard top bolts that hold it to the tub, slide it forward until it seals properly and then clamp the windshield clamps down. After that you can tighten the rear bolts again.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
GoldenP51
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasty View Post
I had the same problem. I just got some of that foam sealing stuff that has a strip of double-sided tape on one side and put some on the front of the hardtop under the lip. It worked like a charm and has kept working even though I have taken the hardtop off and put it back on a couple times without replacing the tape.
X2, I did this once a couple months ago the foam wasn't quite thick enough but it did help and since I had the hardtop off to carpet it I put on some thicker foam and now there is no wind noise. You can pick some up at your local hardware store.

Tape across the front also works, however it is a temporary fix
GoldenP51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.