How to adjust the handbrake ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to adjust the handbrake ?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 04-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
protix
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 226
How to adjust the handbrake ?

Hey guys how do you adjust the handbrake need it to pass a vehicle inspection.

__________________
"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."
al'Lan Mandragoran

"Never gamble without knowing a back way out."
Matrim Cauthon
protix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Anschutz
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West Point, New York (USMA)
Posts: 172
Up underneath the jeep you will see a cable running back and then splitting to got to the rear drums. You will need two wrenches and you just tighten the nut. Good luck.
Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler
 
VanBCguy's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,964
Your profile says you have a D44 rear. Are you disc or drum on that D44?

If you're drum, it's one way. If you're disc, I've been advised (but I am NOT a brake expert) that the best way is to adjust the pads is on the brakes themselves and not to adjust the cable.

That's very little information and may make things a little more confusing, but hopefully someone will jump in here and feed on my post and give you accurate info.

Good luck on the V.I. I hate them!

Christchurch..... I'm jealous. I love your city!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Benderff
Registered User
 
Benderff's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: , Pacific NorthWest
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
Up underneath the jeep you will see a cable running back and then splitting to got to the rear drums. You will need two wrenches and you just tighten the nut. Good luck.
Ummm No. About the only reason you would ever adjust that is if you had made the mistake of screwing with it before. Per the FSM.

ADJUSTMENT - WITH ADJUSTING TOOL
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake
gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed
with the complete brake assembly installed
on the backing plate.
(1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
(2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated

freely.
(3) Remove plug from each access hole in brake
support plates.
(4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut
until there is slack in front cable.
(5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate
access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting

screw star wheel
(6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool
handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when
wheel is rotated.
(7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star
wheel with thin screwdriver.
(8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake
drag is eliminated.
(9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure
adjustment is equal at both wheels.
(10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
(11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
(12) Depress park brake lever and make sure park
brakes hold the vehicle staionary.

(13) Release park brake lever.

__________________
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
epeck87
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,019
adjusting it on the cable has the same effect. theres no reason you cant adjust the nut on the cable above your driveshaft. when you replace your shoes you will prob have to adjust it again but adjusting the cable is how i have always done it for years and i have never had any problems. its the easiest and fastest way to do it
__________________
Associates Degree in automotive technology
A1-A8 ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TOYOTA MECHANIC
epeck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Benderff
Registered User
 
Benderff's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: , Pacific NorthWest
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeck87 View Post
adjusting it on the cable has the same effect. theres no reason you cant adjust the nut on the cable above your driveshaft. when you replace your shoes you will prob have to adjust it again but adjusting the cable is how i have always done it for years and i have never had any problems. its the easiest and fastest way to do it
Again from the FSM



Parking brake adjustment is controlled by a
cable tensioner. Once the tensioner is adjusted at
the factory, it should not require further attention.
However, there are two instances when adjustment
will be required. The first is when a new tensioner,
or cables have been installed. And the second, is
when the tensioner and cables are disconnected for
access to other brake components.


I am by no means an expert, but it's bad advice to adjust the cables.
__________________
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler
 
VanBCguy's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Ummm No. About the only reason you would ever adjust that is if you had made the mistake of screwing with it before. Per the FSM.

ADJUSTMENT - WITH ADJUSTING TOOL
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake
gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed
with the complete brake assembly installed
on the backing plate.
(1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
(2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated

freely.
(3) Remove plug from each access hole in brake
support plates.
(4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut
until there is slack in front cable.
(5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate
access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting

screw star wheel
(6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool
handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when
wheel is rotated.
(7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star
wheel with thin screwdriver.
(8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake
drag is eliminated.
(9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure
adjustment is equal at both wheels.
(10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
(11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
(12) Depress park brake lever and make sure park
brakes hold the vehicle staionary.

(13) Release park brake lever.

This is essentially what I've seen done on my rear D35 drums and now on my rear D44 discs. Manual adjustments that are not just a simple tightening of the handbrake cable. Adjustments that are directly on the brakes themselves.

Again, I'm no expert (I don't do my own brakes..yet. I let the pros do them for me), but this seems to support my line of thinking and I'm sure someone else will concur with another post.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
epeck87
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,019
in that case i stand corrected. i knew you could do it at the star wheel too but i didn't think it mattered if you used the star wheel or did it farther up on the cable. i guess i have been adjusting mine the wrong way although it has worked fine for me for the last couple years. if the fsm recommends a certain way id recommend following the manual
__________________
Associates Degree in automotive technology
A1-A8 ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TOYOTA MECHANIC
epeck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
epeck87
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,019
just out of curiosity what harm would it do if i adjust my parking brake by tightening the nut on the adjuster under the body instead of in the drum.
__________________
Associates Degree in automotive technology
A1-A8 ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TOYOTA MECHANIC
epeck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #10
tjsean0308
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Port Angeles, WA
Posts: 1,213
nevermind.
__________________

Last edited by tjsean0308; 04-16-2010 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: read the profile before typing next time.
tjsean0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
epeck87
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,019
i have a ford 8.8 with disc brakes in the rear
__________________
Associates Degree in automotive technology
A1-A8 ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TOYOTA MECHANIC
epeck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
epeck87
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 1,019
bump anyone? if i cant get a good answer then im gonna keep adjusting it at the point on the cable instead of messing with the drum.
__________________
Associates Degree in automotive technology
A1-A8 ASE MASTER CERTIFIED TOYOTA MECHANIC
epeck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
Pillswoj
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,765
By adjusting the cable, the pads are not meeting the drum evenly, only one end of the pads will make contact. The cable causes the pads to pivot, but the star wheel adjusts the pivot point. It is hard to explain but if you look at the system and see what the star wheel does and compare it to what happens if you tighten the cable it will make sense.
__________________
Friends don't let Friends run Bosch
Pillswoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by protix View Post
Hey guys how do you adjust the handbrake need it to pass a vehicle inspection.
Use the star adjuster method, that works.

BTW, my WoF guy has stopped checking for handbrake on my TJ (it never stays adjusted). If brakes are otherwise okay, he is happy with TJ handbrake the way it is.
__________________
'01 TJ Renegade I6 4.0L
'03 WG Limited V8 4.7L
'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 25,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by epeck87 View Post
bump anyone? if i cant get a good answer then im gonna keep adjusting it at the point on the cable instead of messing with the drum.
The actuation lever inside the drums (same holds true for the shoes inside the drums for rear discs as well) that attaches to the brake shoe only has so much travel. You're defeating that function by continually shortening the cable.

At some point, you will have the cables short enough and all the travel in the actuation lever removed, you will pull on the parking brake handle, it will feel really tight, but the shoes inside the drums won't move because you've defeated it's function and they no longer can move.

The correct way to do it has been outlined as per the FSM. Feel free to keep on keeping on, but don't get on here and snivel one day when your parking brake becomes less effective.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.