Hot wiring 98 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hot wiring 98 TJ

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Hot wiring 98 TJ

Hey all. Looking for info on how to hotwire a TJ. Now before I get stupid answers it is a race car, I'm not overly worried about security. My ignition key is playing up and to avoid issues on the track id rather just get rid of it than replace it. What I am looking for is information on the most reliable way to bypass the whole system and just have a starter button. It already has a battery isolation switch so no need for an accessories option or anything. I just want to switch the isolation switch on and hit a button to fire it up. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or any tips on this?
Cheers for any help.
Sorry vehicle is a 1998 manual with a 4.0.

Unread 05-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #2
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here is a thread for a ’99 which is close if not exactly the same as a ’98. Depending on how the isolation switch is set up you will probably need at least one other switch for the ignition since isolation switches usually kill everything by disconnecting the battery from the rest of the electrical system. If your isolation switch is at the battery cable you will most likely want a way to kill the engine (ignition & fuel pump) inside the cab & there are probably times you will want some power on (isolation closed) but not the ignition & fuel on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fu...start-1554586/

Here is a link to FSMs with wiring diagrams that should also help.

See online read only FSMs here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
You may have to go to the bottom of the page & pick Jeep Resources & online manuals if it directs you to home page rather than the knowledge base.
Pick your model & year then on the drop down menu pick the chapter you need.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
Hey all. Looking for info on how to hotwire a TJ. Now before I get stupid answers it is a race car
Sorry vehicle is a 1998 manual with a 4.0.
You have a 98' TJ race car
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
You have a 98' TJ race car
Doesn't seem too odd after all the Stock Mod TJ's that are in KOH. Most of them have a battery kill, ignition on, and then starter switch with no keyed ignition.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...ypass-1556041/

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Thanks heaps will check that link out. When I searched I just found a whole lot of people who lost their keys and no actual answer. I am in australia doing off road racing not rock crawling or koh type stuff. Its in the production 4wd class so mostly just has a cage and some fox shocks. Eventually will move up in classes and hopefully move to ultra4 if it kicks off over here. Also the battery isolation switch kills everything as it switches both alternator and battery. Most accesories now run directly off the isolation switch anyway because its closer than the acc wires were so i only need ignition and starter.
Cheers for the help guys.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran an ignition on switch and a push button to start on my one 97. It as a trail rig.

I figured it out with a multimeter. It wasn't a big deal at all. Took 30 mins or so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.