hot spots and color distortion on muffler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hot spots and color distortion on muffler?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hot spots and color distortion on muffler?

Have a '97 2.5L. Runs fine, idles fine, starts fine,new distributor, tune-up about 7K miles ago, no check engine lights.

The tech at a muffler shop said my aftermarket muffler show abnormal signs. He said there were hot spots or color distortions from excessive heat. The hot spot is on the end of the muffler towards the back of the Jeep. He said it might be misfiring from a bad injector leaking. I never remembered any misfires. I assumed the hot spot or color distortion was from the super hot exhaust gas from the cat converter? The cat heats up to 1200-1300 degrees right? Plus my muffler is welded about 14"-16" from the cat converter, could that be too close?

Is it possible the metal on the cheap aftermarket muffler is thin and shows heat more after it comes out of the cat converter?

Could the cat converter be too hot and bad?

autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like to me that you do not have a problem and you should not listen to a muffler tech of all people. The discoloration of a new muffler is very normal.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it aint broke........
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Sounds like to me that you do not have a problem and you should not listen to a muffler tech of all people. The discoloration of a new muffler is very normal.
Yup, what he said.
I just put a new muffler on both my jeep and explorer. ANd they look the same as you described. The high heat just burns some of the zinc coating at the hotter areas. You will soon see rust there..lol ..All is normal. The mechanic sound like an idiot, or he is trying to make some money off you. If you had a bad injector or other serious issue your check engine light would more than likely let you know.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I actually went in thinking I might need a new cat because my MPG went down from about 15 MPG to 12-13 MPG. He was not trying to sell me anything. He actually told me not to buy a converter from him until I researched what was wrong. He thought whatever was wrong in his mind would damage the new cat. He was probably just wrong in his diagnosis?
Unread 09-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Pete3
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Aftermarket mufflers always get color distortion from my experience, unless you notice something performance wise, which a loss of 2mpg very well could be, I wouldn't worry. I doubt the muffler discoloration is related to that though.
I see an ugly muffler I want it painted black
Pete3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete3 View Post
Aftermarket mufflers always get color distortion from my experience, unless you notice something performance wise, which a loss of 2mpg very well could be, I wouldn't worry. I doubt the muffler discoloration is related to that though.
I see an ugly muffler I want it painted black
I was worried something was wrong like a bad injector or something else. Could care less about what a muffler looks like.

I do not ever remember hearing a back fire or misfire. I am thinking it is just the super hot exhaust gas from the cat since the muffler is mounted so close to it? I am not too happy with the slightly noisier tone of the aftermarket muffler so I probably will replace it anyway with a Walker Stainless Steel? I hear they are quiet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.