Hot brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hot brakes

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Reply
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
johnnybonkel
Registered User
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 113
Hot brakes

HOW HOT SHULD REAR DISK BRAKES GET UNDER NORMAL DRIVING?

When the caliper is removed and hand brake off...how freely should wheel spin ...mine is stiff?

If not freely could this heat build p be the e brake? Any advise on how fix?...thanks 2006 TJ Rubicon discs all round.
Cheers!

A

johnnybonkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,263
Well I have drum brakes and there is a very slight to almost no drag. Sounds like the e brake is way to tight.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
johnnybonkel
Registered User
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ
Well I have drum brakes and there is a very slight to almost no drag. Sounds like the e brake is way to tight.
THANKS...how do I fix (ive checked cable tension and thats OK)...thx
johnnybonkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybonkel View Post

THANKS...how do I fix (ive checked cable tension and thats OK)...thx
There is a little oval rubber bootie on the back side. You take that off and it reveals a star wheel that you can turn with a adjustment tool or a flathead screw driver. Jack up the wheel(s) and spin while adjusting to find the right tension (or lack thereof).

I always find it difficult to get exactly right, and also figure out the right way to turn the star. Someone posted recently the direction to turn, but I think it's also possible to flip the adjuster so you might could go either way depending on how a PO may have put it back together
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
johnnybonkel
Registered User
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw

There is a little oval rubber bootie on the back side. You take that off and it reveals a star wheel that you can turn with a adjustment tool or a flathead screw driver. Jack up the wheel(s) and spin while adjusting to find the right tension (or lack thereof).

I always find it difficult to get exactly right, and also figure out the right way to turn the star. Someone posted recently the direction to turn, but I think it's also possible to flip the adjuster so you might could go either way depending on how a PO may have put it back together
HEY THANKS FOR THIS...I KNOW THIS IS TRUE FOR DRUM BRAKES BUT MINE ARE DISC SO IM ONLY TALKING ABOUT E BRAKE. I THINK THEY ARE MEANT TO SELF ADJUSTING...CAN I DO MINE AS YOU DESCRIBE....? (Just e brake)
Thanks
johnnybonkel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybonkel View Post

HEY THANKS FOR THIS...I KNOW THIS IS TRUE FOR DRUM BRAKES BUT MINE ARE DISC SO IM ONLY TALKING ABOUT E BRAKE. I THINK THEY ARE MEANT TO SELF ADJUSTING...CAN I DO MINE AS YOU DESCRIBE....? (Just e brake)
Thanks
Yes, the ebrake on your disc brakes is a little version of drum brake inside the drum part of the rotor. Cute little shoes in there and everything. It is NOT self adjusting to the best of my knowledge. But the manual adjustment is identical for all intents.
__________________
Can you afford the car? Have I provided you all the information you need on the car? Do you like the car? Then buy the car.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybonkel

HEY THANKS FOR THIS...I KNOW THIS IS TRUE FOR DRUM BRAKES BUT MINE ARE DISC SO IM ONLY TALKING ABOUT E BRAKE. I THINK THEY ARE MEANT TO SELF ADJUSTING...CAN I DO MINE AS YOU DESCRIBE....? (Just e brake)
Thanks
E brake adjustment on rear disks is just like slack jaw said. Gotta turn that star wheel.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.