Hot Air Again! Blend Door Actuator Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hot Air Again! Blend Door Actuator Repair

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hot Air Again! Blend Door Actuator Repair

This is for a 2000 model year.

I was getting good cold air but could never get any hot air. I knew it was the blend door but thought it was one of those vacum canister activated plastic levers that was bad. All checked out good. So did the resistor and control knobs!

After much reading and a few hours of troubleshooting I finally was able to get my heater working again. The blend door actuator was inoperable. So, I took it down to the Jeep Dealer and ordered one. Wow $135 for it!

I decided to look inside and what I found is the motor was seized. All I did was spray some contact cleaner in it and turned it and let is dry. Hooked 12 volts up and away she went! I let the motor run for a few minutes to let it clean the armature bushing up.

In California a heater is rarely used so it probably wise to turn the heater once in while just to exercise the motor.

When taking the actuator apart make sure you mark the alignment of the gears so you won't have to fiddle with it. (Trust me! LOL)

The motor just slides up and you do not need to move the screw on the top. It would have been very easy to rebuild the little motor should it burned up or was in worse condition.

I promptly went to the Jeep dealer and cancelled the order and got my $145 back. Whew!

Blend Door Actuator is located just to the right of the transmission tunnel:

Inside of Actuator:

Last edited by Savvy; 12-10-2008 at 07:18 AM..
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
jacobfudgepops
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so what was the problem with the moter? the gears were locked up or what? and howd you fix the problem?
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is good info. I'll have to look at mine, too. I'm having a problem getting hot air to come from the heater.

Did you lube the plastic gears before you put everything back together?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobfudgepops View Post
so what was the problem with the moter? the gears were locked up or what? and howd you fix the problem?
The motor got wet and sat so it was a little corroded. It just needed a couple of manual spins and then I hooked it up to 12v source and away it went.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
This is good info. I'll have to look at mine, too. I'm having a problem getting hot air to come from the heater.

Did you lube the plastic gears before you put everything back together?
Yes, I put some white lithium grease on the gears and pivots. You can see the acuator from the passenger footwell. When you turn the hot/cold control knob, you should see the shaft turn back and forth.

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking at my FSM after reading this thread.

It would seem the blend door is cable actuated from the dash. It is neither vacuum or electrically actuated unless I misunderstood what I read in the manual. Just thought I would bring this up since it appears that this is one of those items that are different depending on your model year.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
I was looking at my FSM after reading this thread.

It would seem the blend door is cable actuated from the dash. It is neither vacuum or electrically actuated unless I misunderstood what I read in the manual. Just thought I would bring this up since it appears that this is one of those items that are different depending on your model year.
I edit the top post to reflect that this fix is for a 2000. Thanks Stu!

Gerald

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
JeepSahara2001
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
This is for a 2000 model year.

I was getting good cold air but could never get any hot air. I knew it was the blend door but thought it was one of those vacum canister activated plastic levers that was bad. All checked out good. So did the resistor and control knobs!

After much reading and a few hours of troubleshooting I finally was able to get my heater working again. The blend door actuator was inoperable. So, I took it down to the Jeep Dealer and ordered one. Wow $135 for it!

I decided to look inside and what I found is the motor was seized. All I did was spray some contact cleaner in it and turned it and let is dry. Hooked 12 volts up and away she went! I let the motor run for a few minutes to let it clean the armature bushing up.

In California a heater is rarely used so it probably wise to turn the heater once in while just to exercise the motor.

When taking the actuator apart make sure you mark the alignment of the gears so you won't have to fiddle with it. (Trust me! LOL)

The motor just slides up and you do not need to move the screw on the top. It would have been very easy to rebuild the little motor should it burned up or was in worse condition.

I promptly went to the Jeep dealer and cancelled the order and got my $145 back. Whew!

Blend Door Actuator is located just to the right of the transmission tunnel:

Inside of Actuator:
I am not getting heat. I looked at the actuator and it turns when I turn the knob. It only turns like a half turn and it turns really slowly. Does it spend all the way around or what?

Mark

[______]
(O||||O)
=======
JeepSahara2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
bmcdonald26
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem and got the motor free but now when I hooked it all back up I turn the cold/hot knob and i get only from warm to hot. Not sure if I put it all back togeather correctly. I noticed that when I give it power the motor always want to turn one way it will turn as i move the knob but doesn't have very much range. Any thoughts?
bmcdonald26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
ktwalker01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know the part number for this actuator? My 99's fried in 08 when water got into it and I just now realized why my heater wouldn't work! It's cold in Miami this morning LOL
ktwalker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Kenbo69
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

2000 blend door actuator part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktwalker01 View Post
Does anyone know the part number for this actuator? My 99's fried in 08 when water got into it and I just now realized why my heater wouldn't work! It's cold in Miami this morning LOL
The oart number for a 2000 jeep cherokee is 5170954AA. I called a dealer parts dept and they quoted me $101. There is a MOPAR website that listed it for $63.69.

For the time being I pulled the actuator housing off and used the plastic collar to move the blend doors from cool to heat. Right now there is no in between until I replace the part.
Kenbo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #12
Kenbo69
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Mark. After troubleshooting my problem I discovered the motor in my actuator had gotten wet and corroded. If you were to use a volt meter and measure pin 7 (ground) to pin 8 positive (blend door feedback signal) on the plug that goes into the actuator. When the thermostat was in the full cool position I measured around 1.8 volts DC, and when you increase the thermostat to full heat the voltage increases to about 12-12.5 volts DC.

Be carefull, pins 7 & 8 are close together be sure not to short them out when you measure while the car is running.

I had previously replaced thermostat and flushed heater core.

Ken, good luck
Kenbo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
ktwalker01
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo69 View Post
The oart number for a 2000 jeep cherokee is 5170954AA. I called a dealer parts dept and they quoted me $101. There is a MOPAR website that listed it for $63.69.

For the time being I pulled the actuator housing off and used the plastic collar to move the blend doors from cool to heat. Right now there is no in between until I replace the part.
Thank you so much, I managed to get that stupid little motor to spin so I'll see how long it lasts. Now I have the part number to replace it if worse comes to worse.

Thanks again.
ktwalker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
2cherokeesforme
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Can someone tell me if a blend door motor off a '94 Larado will fit a 2001 Cherokee. It appears to be the same motor. My problem may be the plastic interface between the metal arbor on the blend door and the motor may be stripped out. If I can attach an image of the original, you can see where the coolant has dripped down thru the motor. I couldn't get the motor of the shaft when I had the air box torn apart and didn't know how it was attached. I loosened the three screws but it was stuck on the shaft pretty tight. It had worked prior to changing the heater core, so I was reluctant to tear it up pulling it off. I took the electric motor case apart and cleaned the coolant droplets off the electrical boards inside and then put it back together. It works sometimes now and sometimes it doesn't after putting the entire dash back together. I guess my question remains, if the '94 blend door motor and the 2001 are the same and have the same plastic interfaces and are engineered in the same way in relationship to the blend door shaft? Sorry if I am in the wrong place to ask this question....I'm a newbie with these posts, but I did replace the heater core and only came up with two extra screws
2cherokeesforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
fumblefingers
2014 WK 

can I ask......I have a 01 Limited and I have a 52 56 code. I see that the 56 code is a blend door but don't know what the 52 code is......any help?
fumblefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.