Horrible Noises When Shifting 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Horrible Noises When Shifting 4wd

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Horrible Noises When Shifting 4wd

A couple of days ago I took my Jeep out to this vacant lot down the street. When it rains there are big puddles and stuff and living in the city it's nice to be able to get a little bit of mudding in. So I had it 4hi when I did this, and on the way home I put it back into 2hi, where I heard a rattling sound coming from underneath. I got home, then started to go to my girlfriend's house, and on the way down the street the rattling got worse and louder as I increased my speed. I put it into 4hi again, and the rattling got quieter, and so I put it back into 2hi and got a horrible grinding sound that was loud enough to echo down the street. I put it back into 4hi, turn around, come home and take my other car to the oldd lady's house.
So today I'm trying to figure out what's going on. It will shift into 4lo, but I hear the rattling noise again. And if I go 1-3 mph I can drive in 2hi, but I can't go into reverse without a loud scraping/grinding noise. I can reverse in 4hi. I checked the u-joints on both driveshafts, and they're solid. The shift linkage may be the problem, as said on other posts, but I feel like it's something inside the transfer case because it will shift in and out of gear, but just get scraping noises after I shift into and apply the gas.

I'm gonna have an entirely new TJ by the time I fix everything that's gone wrong in that damn thing.

eplumer400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
MotoSoul
Just add Dump Truck

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like the shift linkage bushing is shot and it is rattling around. Now when you are trying to get back into 2 hi it is not full engaging. It is pretty easy to check the linkage, but you can also try disconnecting it and shifting the T-case directly to help isolate the problem.
I like the arms, they are a good solution, but they really aren't worth the effort for the average person and you already see the BS that goes on over bushings VS JJ's, the crap that would go on over J arms would be epic.
MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
watsoc08
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely sounds like a transfer case shifting linkage issue. I went through this same thing and was able to adjust the linkage to make the transfer case shift correctly. When I swapped out the 231 TC for the 241 case I went with the Novak shifter and have not had any problems since then. Kind of an expensive upgrade but typically worth the money in the long run.
watsoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How exactly did you adjust the linkage? I loosened that one bolt on that longer rod that seemed to be the adjust point, but it's difficult to see just how much it needs to be adjusted. Also everything's quite rusty so I'm more than likely gonna have a hard time breaking that slider piece free to adjust it.
Should I adjust to the 4lo position or the 2hi position? If 4lo, should that piece that's directly attached to the transfer case be straight down or is it at an angle? And what position should the 2hi position be at? If you're looking at it from the driver side it's around the 8 o'clock spot.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have any ideas of what it could be? I really don't think the linkage messed up, I have a hunch as something internal. My guess would be the chain, but I'm not sure. I took it to my local shop to have them look at it, they haven't Taken it in yet, but hopefully they'll be able to figure something out. I just rather they do it, because they have the time to look at it and figure out what's wrong, instead of me screwing around with it for a month

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.