HORRIBLE MPG Help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HORRIBLE MPG Help

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

man, i get like 177-180 miles a tank.

06 LJ rubi

im on 33's and 4.10's at the moment.
front/rear bumpers, 10klb winch w synthetic rope.
all stock engine components. cat was replaced at 15k miles by stealership.
clean filter too. oil change last month.
something is up with mine too. i used to get 200+ miles.
id like a fix too.

Unread 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebirgziege View Post

06 LJ rubi

id like a fix too.
Is this just recently? Winter blend gas will give you worse mileage. We have pretty strict emissions standards here in the salt lake valley. They blend the gas differently to accomodate for the temp so that we dont pollute the air too much. Any normal person doesnt know this, but if youre a mechanic or you have been through tech school, its one of the things that gets covered. That and it takes longer for the engine to reach opperating temperature, so it runs nice and rich until it reaches it. Soooo...... Millions of factors are working against you.
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #33
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebirgziege View Post

06 LJ rubi

id like a fix too.
You have something going on.

Calculate mpg not miles per tank.
Correct speedo?
When is the last time you cleaned the TB,IAC, changed Plugs, changed or cleaned the air filter?
Did they replace the O2 sensors when they did the CAT? Slow O2's will kill mileage.
Do you have an exhaust leak? After disturbing the exhaust often the flange bolts will loosen and the effect the O2 readings.
Did they reset the PCM? Will allow a relearn of new components.
Unread 02-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #34
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZY1 View Post
You Drive a Jeep, with the aerodynamics of a brick.
this^^^^^

i find i get about 15-17 and i think it's because i have the hard top/full doors. sure, it's more weight, but there's less drag.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/po...-epic-1255803/ <--- my fuel economy thread. (which still needs more experimentation)
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #35
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i was wondering if anyone would know if going to 410 ratio would be worse, or better for mpg? Since i dont know where it will put the rpms at. thanks
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubblea View Post
i was wondering if anyone would know if going to 410 ratio would be worse, or better for mpg? Since i dont know where it will put the rpms at. thanks
4.10s should bring you closer to the proper RMP range. Grimmjeeper's gear calculator will answer your question(s) about where your RPM will be with any given setup.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
duhamel17
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't see much improvement in mpg when I went to 4:10's with my auto tranny, but it did make a huge improvement in the felt power department. Well worth it imo.
duhamel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #38
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fast cure for a Jeep Wrangler's gas mileage. Stop checking it! When it starts getting low of fuel, go get more. As many others have already posted in hundreds of threads, Jeeps aren't going to get the MPGs that a Honda Civic is going to get. And for the college kids whining about the cost to operate your Jeep, get a bicycle. Jeeps are a give and take kind of thing. You have to give up something to have one of the coolest vehicles on and off the road out there. "It's a Jeep thing" and you obviously don't understand.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #39
bdserv
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2003 Rubicon with 4-in lift and 33x12.50 tires, and stock 4.10 gears. Speedo has been checked with a GPS and is right on the money.

My daily driving is on somewhat hilly county highways and I was initially running in 5th gear whenever speeds were above about 40-45 mph and of course down shifting whenever the engine load required it. This would put the tach around 1500 to 1800 or so in cruise.

Driving this way had my gas mileage anywhere from 10 to 13 mpg.

After reading some posts here about running in 4th I decided to try this for a few tanks, staying in 4th as high as 55 mph with the tach between 2200 and 2400 rpm.

My mileage immediately improved - last tank was 17 mpg.

The engine does not feel like it is being lugged at all in 5th at these speeds, but there is no question that it is not as efficient at 50-55 mph in 5th as it is in 4th.

By the way, whoever designed that upshift light should resign from his engineering job in shame and disgrace!
bdserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #40
1999TJRED85000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdserv View Post
I have a 2003 Rubicon with 4-in lift and 33x12.50 tires, and stock 4.10 gears. Speedo has been checked with a GPS and is right on the money.

My daily driving is on somewhat hilly county highways and I was initially running in 5th gear whenever speeds were above about 40-45 mph and of course down shifting whenever the engine load required it. This would put the tach around 1500 to 1800 or so in cruise.

Driving this way had my gas mileage anywhere from 10 to 13 mpg.

After reading some posts here about running in 4th I decided to try this for a few tanks, staying in 4th as high as 55 mph with the tach between 2200 and 2400 rpm.

My mileage immediately improved - last tank was 17 mpg.

The engine does not feel like it is being lugged at all in 5th at these speeds, but there is no question that it is not as efficient at 50-55 mph in 5th as it is in 4th.

By the way, whoever designed that upshift light should resign from his engineering job in shame and disgrace!
It looks like the problem you have is 4.10 gears with 33" tires. 4.56 would be better in 5th.

BTW ... I just changed the air filter (stock), plugs, plug wires, coil, cap & rotor. I'll see what this basic tuneup does to the mileage.
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #41
4banged
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Deleted
4banged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #42
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.0l power band is between 2200-2500 rpm its kinda like the sweet spot of the motor and let the engine warm up for like 10 min when its cold. Shift at about 2400 rpms that will gie your best mpgs
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , mpg , tj , wranger

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.