Horn not working......not wires, fuse or relay. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Horn not working......not wires, fuse or relay.

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 04-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Horn not working......not wires, fuse or relay.

Have a '98 TJ that the horn just stopped working. I've checked the wiring, fuse and relay but still no horn. Anyone have any ideas?

luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
de6w6it
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Posts: 622
Check the contacts in the steering wheel, what actually contacts when you push on it, they could be not making a good connection.
__________________
'66 Mustang/200/C4/ground up resto
'88 4 runner/SAS/22re/W56/duals/31's DD
Build:http://www.yotatech.com/f191/de6w6it...-lemon-190657/
de6w6it is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #3
Blake Rust
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 277
could be the airbag clockspring...there are other writeups...HERE is one.

like anything else, pretty expensive if done by dealership

EDIT: When my brother had this problem on his XJ, we just mounted a new horn button on the dash to keep him legal...it was a much cheaper solution.
Blake Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by de6w6it
Check the contacts in the steering wheel, what actually contacts when you push on it, they could be not making a good connection.
Is it possible to do this myself and not disturb the airbag?
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,042
Have someone push the horn button repeatedly on-off while you measure on the horn relay to see if it's getting anything from the horn button. One side of the relay needs 12 volts, the other side needs a ground. If it's getting both and the horn isn't getting 12 volts, the relay is bad. If the horn is getting 12 volts, the horn is bad.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
novajeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3
Sounds like the clockspring There was a service bulletin for it.

I had to replace mine. The airbag comes out easily and it stays contained. That being said, I wouldn't play catch with it once it's out or anything like that.
novajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #7
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Have someone push the horn button repeatedly on-off while you measure on the horn relay to see if it's getting anything from the horn button. One side of the relay needs 12 volts, the other side needs a ground. If it's getting both and the horn isn't getting 12 volts, the relay is bad. If the horn is getting 12 volts, the horn is bad.
I replaced the relay and it still doesn't work.........so i'm looking at other options.
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajeep
Sounds like the clockspring There was a service bulletin for it.

I had to replace mine. The airbag comes out easily and it stays contained. That being said, I wouldn't play catch with it once it's out or anything like that.
So how hard is the Clockspring to change yourself?
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2hmr
I replaced the relay and it still doesn't work.........so i'm looking at other options.
Sure but did you troubleshoot the horn circuit like I suggested?
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
gUanoTJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 461
Not to hijack, but since we're on the topic... what if the horn goes off randomly and will not shut off. I had to pull the relay just to make it stop. Any ideas guys??
gUanoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Sure but did you troubleshoot the horn circuit like I suggested?
No.....I'll give that a try.

Thanks!
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #12
novajeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3
"So how hard is the Clockspring to change yourself?"

It's been a few years, but I remember it being very easy. You may need a steering wheel puller. I remember borrowing one, but can't remember if I used it. I think the Haynes manual had a section on pulling it apart. The part was between $60 and $100, and I got it from the dealer.

Sorry, but I can't really remember the details. The airbag comes out easily, and in one piece, then I think the clock spring is right under it.

It's not a repair to be scared of. That's coming from someone who is a true novice.
novajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
luv2hmr
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by novajeep
"So how hard is the Clockspring to change yourself?"

It's been a few years, but I remember it being very easy. You may need a steering wheel puller. I remember borrowing one, but can't remember if I used it. I think the Haynes manual had a section on pulling it apart. The part was between $60 and $100, and I got it from the dealer.

Sorry, but I can't really remember the details. The airbag comes out easily, and in one piece, then I think the clock spring is right under it.

It's not a repair to be scared of. That's coming from someone who is a true novice.
Great....Thanks!
luv2hmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.