JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Hooked a code scanner up to my Jeep that wont fire...WOW (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hooked-code-scanner-up-my-jeep-wont-fire-wow-1550028/)

SpriggZ 07-16-2013 11:52 PM

Hooked a code scanner up to my Jeep that wont fire...WOW

A little history...driving home on a two lane country road my Jeep died out on me. Cruising along in 5th gear I noticed the engine acting sluggish when I would step on the gas pedal. Not thinking much of it, I dropped it down into 4th gear hoping to get some power and accelerate to a higher speed. Well, the engine was acting sluggish in 4th gear as well so I dropped it down into 3rd and naturally the engine was revving at a high RPM when dropping it into 3rd so I tried fourth and still the same sluggish performance. Dropped it back down into third and started getting sluggish performance in that gear too. Needless to say,I worked my down the gear cycle and she eventually left me stranded on the side of the road and needing a tow. Now it's sitting in my driveway and the engine wont fire. Picked up a scanner and hooked it into the port and it was like Christmas in July. Here's the codes its throwing at me:

Under the "Chrysler/Jeep Enhanced DTC Menu" I get these codes:

P1282 Fuel pump relay control circuit
P0523 Engine oil pressure sensor/ Switch circuit high input
P0340 Camshaft position sensor A circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
P0113 Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high input
P1299 Vacuum leak detected (IAC fully seated)
P0352 Ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit
P0351 Ignition coil A primary/Secondary circuit
P1489 High speed fan control relay circuit

The following codes are not in the "Chrysler/Jeep Enhanced DTC Menu" but still showed up:

P1294 Chrysler target idle not reached
P0340 Generic Camshaft position sensor A circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
P0352 Generic Ignition coil B primary/secondary circuit
P0351 Generic Ignition coil A primary/Secondary circuit
P0113 Generic Intake air temperature sensor 1 circuit high input
P0138 Generic O2 circuit high voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)
P1299 Chrysler Vacuum leak detected (IAC fully seated)
P0455 Generic Evaporative emission system leak detected (gross leak/no flow)
P1391 Chrysler Intermittent loss of CMP or CKP

The engine oil pressure sensor I know about because my oil pressure gauge chooses not to work sometimes. I was aware of the o2 sensor code as well. I drove around with my gas cap off for a few hours a few weeks ago so I'm assuming that's what brought on the "vacuum leak detected" code. Now I guess my question is one or more of these codes is causing my Jeep not to fire? Thanks in advance folks! :)

AtomicDog 07-17-2013 06:00 AM

FWIW, I would start with the basics. Is it getting fuel? Fuel filter clogged? Were you just wheeling and clogged the air filter? Is this a new tank of fuel that might be bad? Banana in the tailpipe?

srlbotanical 07-17-2013 06:10 AM

Does it crank and just not fire?

When you turn the key forward do you hear the fuel pump cycle?

oldmots 07-17-2013 09:29 AM

The usual culprit in codes like this is a fried engine management computer. If your check engine light was not on for a long period of time before this failure, get the CPM rebuilt.

SpriggZ 07-17-2013 09:45 AM

Regarding the fuel, I sprayed some fuel down the throttle body to see if it would fire and still no go. So doesnt that more less eliminate the fuel pump? Yes, cranking but not firing. I can hear the fuel pump humming along when I turn the key in the ignition. My check engine light has been on for well over a year for an o2 sensor.

AtomicDog 07-17-2013 09:59 AM

Could possibly be flooding. I saw this happen on a Ford van when the regulator went out and supplied a huge amount of pressure to the injectors. It's still just fuel, spark and compression in the right order at the right time. It's the slow death that has me puzzled. I would think a computer issue would just cause it to die suddenly.

freeskier93 07-17-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmots (Post 15686930)
The usual culprit in codes like this is a fried engine management computer. If your check engine light was not on for a long period of time before this failure, get the CPM rebuilt.

x2, the odds that all those sensors would have issues all at the same time are virtually zero. I'm gonna say your PCM is done for.

The only other thing I can think of is something ate threw or melted a bundle of wires.

SpriggZ 07-17-2013 12:20 PM

Automobile electrical systems arent really my strong point but wouldn't a computer problem cause the scanner not to work properly as well? The three codes that has my eye are the camshaft sensor code and the two ignition coil codes. I'm assuming the fuel pump relay code was caused by me swapping relays with another one to initially rule that out. Also, I've been told by several people that a clogged fuel filter is highly unlikely due to the large surface area of the filter and they are supposed to last the life of the vehicle.

SpriggZ 07-17-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier93 (Post 15687617)
x2, the odds that all those sensors would have issues all at the same time are virtually zero. I'm gonna say your PCM is done for.

The only other thing I can think of is something ate threw or melted a bundle of wires.

For what its worth, five of the codes were either caused by me or were present before the Jeep initially stalled on me.

The time now is 08:04 AM.