Hood Scoops!! Yea Or Nae? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood Scoops!! Yea Or Nae?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 07-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
DARRTILLM

Hood Scoops!! Yea Or Nae?

Hello 4x4 world!!
just wonering about those hood scoops that go over the vents on hood. are they really effective or is it just a cosmetic thing? they give the jeep a mean look but are there any benefits? all imput welcome. oh and are they stable because most of the scoops ive seen require no tools to install? thanks!!

DARRTILLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

you probably just put it on with double sided mounting tape, and it probabl doesnt do much for the jeep. could even be limiting. its just for looks i think.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
TERPS
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I heard they add aboot 50 hp. I'm going to put one on. Do they make spoilers for TJ's yet, with all this extra speed i think i will need one.
TERPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
McRoberts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Anyone know where I can get a "coffee can" muffler? I heard bolting those onto your stock exhaust tip ads about 10 hp...

Those hood scoops dont do anything. They are only for looks. However, there are vents that you can install into your hood (they look like trapezoids). Usually you can find an ad for those guys in the back of a 4x4 mag.
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
ryobi

They look stupid and add no hp whatsoever.
ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, for 10 and 44 posts you guys really bust balls early.

I don't think the scoop claims to add any horsepower at all...in it's description they say it's supposed to direct air into the HVAC intake for a little more air output inside the cab. I think it looks ok on some TJs if you paint it body color.

I'm not putting one on mine though.

~J
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
smittystorm
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like mine

Goes on with double sided tape and adds no horsepower, I like the look though

Previous: 1998 TJ SE with 2" rusty's suspension lift and 31's
smittystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
TERPS
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99

I don't think the scoop claims to add any horsepower at all...in it's description they say it's supposed to direct air into the HVAC intake for a little more air output inside the cab. I think it looks ok on some TJs if you paint it body color.

I'm not putting one on mine though.

~J

Wasnt sure what the minimum post number for bustin balls was. Thought i'd give it a shot. Sorry, out of line.
TERPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
BluesMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Don't have one, but like the look.
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #10
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

<--- will be getting one
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
stathunter

The hood scoup over the cowl is supposed to help the AC by bringing more air flow into the vent thingy. (I hate to get too technical for you guys)

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #12
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

they add no power, as previously stated. however, if you like the look, then you should get one. at low speeds it will do nothing other than look "cool". at high speeds, it will direct more air into the cowl. what effect that has, other than on the A/C, i dont know.

basically, it comes down to justifying the money to be spent on a cosmetic peice of equipment that adds no functionality.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
mknherhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99

~J
Good point! Seems that bustin balls for some is more of an objective than helping other Jeepers out
mknherhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I can't stand how they look.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #15
charlescho

eh...yeah guys loosen up, the OP is new here

anyways, I like how they look but NOT how they mount, double sided tape is just not my thing, who knows when it will fly off and crack my windshiled on the highway :

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.