hood scoops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hood scoops

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-18-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
NPerry05X

hood scoops

what do you all think of hood scoops on a TJ? i saw one style that didnt look all that bad.. if i did do it tho, i'd cut the hood too and make them funcional because i think its stupid to have fake scoops nvm the waste of $$

Green Jeep Member #171
3.07 Gears Club Member #10 :(
2005 TJ X 4.0, 6 speed, 6" rough country long arm with BDS coils, 1" body lift, SYE, 35x12.5 Pro Comp mud terrains, crager 15x10's
NPerry05X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
NPerry05X

also, how do these work? do they get in the way of the spray from the windshield washer sprayers?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...+10208/c-10108
Green Jeep Member #171
2005 TJ X 4.0, 6 speed, 6" rough country long arm with BDS coils, 1" body lift, SYE, 35x12.5 Pro Comp mud terrains, crager 15x10's
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
HVACman
Mmmmmm.... Milk!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

At one point I was looking for one because I was considering a supercharger. I really didn't see one that appealed to me. It seems no one has really taken the time to develop one that looks good on a jeep. You can some on the Averger Supercharger website. I went with a turbo instead and will be installing hood vents as soon as I get them. I don't remenber the website right now, but I found the company's ad in the back of last months J/P magazine.

Look at Oman's website also. He has a nifty (but pricy) heat reduction hood.

A beaver without a pelt is like a peacock without feathers.

Memberships: California Association Of 4WD Clubs - Friends Of The Rubicon - The Blue Ribbon Coalition

K6CKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
How many times have we told you . DON"T DUMP THE BODIES CLOSE TO YOUR HOME!!
HVACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

that one is fully functional, but that not on hood it on the windshield cowl, covers the vent below window, but as for functional hood on a jeep i say no, to much mud and other crude gets in there now why add more?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
NPerry05X

ok so the scoop for the vent os a good idea but no hood scoop?
Green Jeep Member #171
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPerry05X
ok so the scoop for the vent os a good idea but no hood scoop?
ya, no hood only vent,

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
NPerry05X

ok.. good cuz the vent scoops cost a lot less lol
Green Jeep Member #171
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

fwiw, I put a vent scoop on mine, during the winter it doesn't seem to do much, but in the summer (I don't have A/C) it does get a little bit cooler/faster air thru the cab. Other than that I just take the top off.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
myrockfight

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzntzhellfire
that one is fully functional, but that not on hood it on the windshield cowl, covers the vent below window, but as for functional hood on a jeep i say no, to much mud and other crude gets in there now why add more?
I am not trying to offend you, but reading your posts is like translating a different language. You know some of the words and you have an inkling of what the idea is, but you can't quite figure it out.

[url=http://www.cloud9photography.us/]Airplane Pictures[/url]
myrockfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
HVACman
Mmmmmm.... Milk!

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Oops, never mind. You said 'hood scoops'; you mean 'air vent scoops'. I've read that these were used for increased airflow on older jeeps.

A beaver without a pelt is like a peacock without feathers.

Memberships: California Association Of 4WD Clubs - Friends Of The Rubicon - The Blue Ribbon Coalition

K6CKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape
How many times have we told you . DON"T DUMP THE BODIES CLOSE TO YOUR HOME!!
HVACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:19 AM   #11
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Aerodynamically the Wrangler is not really a good candidate for hood scoops. The air hits the grill and then there's a low pressure zone above the hood towards the front. Then the rear is a high pressure zone as it bounces off the window.

Personally I DON'T believe getting cold air into the engine bay through the hood is a great idea. If you increase the air flow into the engine bay, you increase the engine bay's air pressure. If you do that, you make the radiator less effective.

Remember your engine is designed to be water cooled, not air cooled

Ideally you want to get the hot air out of there and encourage more air to flow through the radiator. The hood vents when positioned properly achieve this.

If you want a SCOOP, then IMO it's not FUNCTIONAL unless it's sealed directly into your air intake. The cold air is really useless anywhere else.

The AEV hood in my opinion is the best approach to a functional replacement hood if you want additional cooling. I'll be adding an ARB Safari Snorkel to scoop in colder air from outside the engine bay and have the benefits of a less dusty intake and "cheap insurance" if I'm caught in a flood.

Click here for more info on the AEV Hood.

Plus it looks AWESOME. It's got the functional performance look along with a touch of elegance. The twin powerbulges give it a sort of Mercedes AMG feel. The HID's and high tech rear view mirror compliment that

Now I just want AMG-like engine performance

BTW... add the HoodLift kit from Quadratec while you're at it... no longer burn your fingers when you lift the hood up after the engine has been running.

More info on that here...

Last edited by Oman Jeep; 09-19-2005 at 02:37 AM..
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:37 AM   #12
Scoobert

I think the AEV Hood is sharp looking. But if you sitting at a stoplight (or even driving around town ) in a thunderstorm isnt it going to let alot of water into the engine compartment from the top?
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:43 AM   #13
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Just as much water probably comes through the radiator as you're moving, or splashes up from the wheels as you come through a puddle.

The engine is very hot while running and any water droplets contacting it will probably evaporate FAST. If they do get through the vent, they'll fall on the engine fan which will scatter them in a mist and they'll dry up PDQ.

Not something to be worried about IMO.

The only thing you might be concerned about is splashing the nose down into deep water, although remember the hood doesn't form a water tight seal with the grill anyway. If you think you might be faced with deep water, keep a roll of duct tape and some plastic sheet in the car and seal off the vent and the hood vs grill / fender area. Some trail guides also recomment taping a large plastic bag over the grill and letting it get hot for a minute until you're on the other side and you remove it. The idea is it will create more of a bow-wave and an air-trap that will keep an air pocket in the engine bay as you cross the water.
Unread 09-19-2005, 02:59 AM   #14
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thats actually a pretty cool hood, does any one have pictures of what it looks like from the driver seat looking out?

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #15
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

I'll snap one later it's too hot right now...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.