Hood scoops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood scoops

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-16-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hood scoops

Hey y'all, I live in the blue ridge mountains...although it's summer it gets rather cold at night w/ the top down. I'm trying to figure out some ways to get a little extra heat out of the vents when the tops down. Obviously sweaters and pants help, and hey putting the top up does the trick too! But for those occasions you just don't wanna do that, do y'all have any ideas? Someone up here suggested a hood scoop to suck more air into the heater/ac unit so it puts out more? Anybody have experience with these? Do they work or is this person just blowin smoke up my arse?! Any other ideas will help! Got a 05 SE!! Thanks y'all!

OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]Parrothead Jeeper Union member #26!![/COLOR][/B]
JBXdudeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:26 PM   #2
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

I don't see how it is going to help. Granted, I want one. That's only so I can mount a mesh screen on it to keep leaves out of the cowl. Your best bet is electric seat warmers IMO.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Im not too sure about a hood scoop making more hot air come out if you are talking about one over the vent in the cowl. The air is heated way before that point so forcing more air in would be mixing more cold air with your already heated air causing it to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey awesome man, I never considered electric seat warmers...that'd def help make me warmer. I couldnt see how the scoop could help, and I didnt really follow what the guy was telling me as far as how it is "supposed" to work, but it seemed like an easy fix! but I preciate the idea! keep'm comin y'all!
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Eletric seat warmers would work you might want to try if they arent already having the doors and windows on with the heat on full blast I know that makes a huge difference without having to put the whole top on

Quote:
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
Unread 06-16-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I found that out last night man, just having the doors on makes a huge difference with the heat full blast...I normally ride around w/o the doors but that's probably gonna change until it gets much hotter at night up here! What can I say though, it just seems like a waste not havin the top down as much as I can hahaha :-D I love my jeep!!!
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's
Unread 06-16-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You can connect a vacuum cleaner hose to your floor vent and put it in your shirt or pants. It would work for AC when it is hot also.
Unread 06-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
You can connect a vacuum cleaner hose to your floor vent and put it in your shirt or pants. It would work for AC when it is hot also.
Some funny stuff right there

Quote:
www.offroadoverstock.com

--John Stewart Mill--
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #9
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gives a whole new meaning to Blow Job
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #10
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

While you are at it you can also run my panteted long drive hose. Basically take a tube and run it through a drain plug. You will figure out what to do with the other end when you just drank 3 sodas and are stuck on the interstate in Atlanta at 5pm.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
RubiconSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
I did that and installed a reverse on my fan. Have it on a switch!! Wife wonders why I sit out in the garage now.

Another idea. Line your center console wirh asbestos (get it from one of the local elementary schools) then just build a little fire in there. Works like a charm.
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #12
Polaris

JBXdudeTJ, where do you like to wheel? Any good places near you? I'm in Charlotte
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
xxxflhrci

I use a heated jacket liner to keep warm on cold nights w/o a top.

http://www.gerbing.com/

Sure they are a little costly, but I use them for motorcycle riding. Well worth the money then. I've left Va. heading to Daytona when it was 17 degrees and stayed comfortable.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #14
JBXdudeTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey haha, y'all must be some of the most creative guys in this forum...now I know how to piss in my jeep w/o messin up the carpet...gotta figure out a way to make this work for the g/f...she's already jealous of the idea! As for the heated jacket...nice idea! Lil more expensive than I wanna be...but a damn fine idea i will surely think of! Oh and Polaris, the best place up in boone/blowing rock...is the beech mtn trail, I forgot the name, but i'll email ya w/ the name, I know a few other in and around hky but i'll have to find the name and directions for ya man! Y'all keep throwin out the ideas!
OME Lift
BGF AT's - 33's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.