Hood rake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood rake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #1
RDPrimeaux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hood rake

I have seen a couple times that people have a raked hood on their Jeep. Something to do with having a body lift, and not installing the parts on the front? Is there anyone that has done this, and is there a write up anywhere?

I am not talking about the rear being higher than the front. The front of the hoodline is lower than the rest of the body.

RDPrimeaux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:40 AM   #2
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I can think of is when you high line the hood to raise the front fenders. This is done for tire clearance.
When the few inches are removed from the lower end of the hood visually the slope of the hood appears exaggerated.
Mousejockey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 04:14 AM   #3
RDPrimeaux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It is not a "highline" fender. From what I understand, when installing a body lift, the grill is not lifted and the fenders are fit in to that slope. I have read about it being done once or twice, but it was never explained.
Unread Today, 05:58 AM   #4
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a great way to crack your fenders. And what would be the benefit?
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:36 AM   #5
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've never read/heard of this. Are you saying people intentionally let the grill and front of the fenders sag? Think it through. How does one prevent cracking/racking/wrinkling of the body panels? How does one keep the seams and edges of the hood, fenders and grill lined up without the Jeep looking like it was in an accident. There would be a tremendous amount of body work involved.

Personally, if I were to modify the rake of the hood in any way, I would want the grill to sit higher and the hood to be flatter. CJ/YJ style. If I ever do a highline, I would spend a small amount of time trying to figure this out.
Unread Today, 07:31 AM   #6
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No clue what you are thinking is being done but think you are miked up. When doing a body lift the grill is raised up. The fenders go up with the body.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:17 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
The Hills have Eyes

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDPrimeaux View Post
It is not a "highline" fender. From what I understand, when installing a body lift, the grill is not lifted and the fenders are fit in to that slope. I have read about it being done once or twice, but it was never explained.
Like this?

TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:28 AM   #8
Sand1235
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDPrimeaux View Post
I have seen a couple times that people have a raked hood on their Jeep. Something to do with having a body lift, and not installing the parts on the front? Is there anyone that has done this, and is there a write up anywhere?

I am not talking about the rear being higher than the front. The front of the hoodline is lower than the rest of the body.
I've seen what you're talking about a couple times here on JF. But I can't remember who's jeep or where I saw it. I found this image just so people can see what your talking about.
2013-01-01_19-49-54_420.jpg

Sand1235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:39 PM   #9
Denzien

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is the front axle pushed out on that Jeep?
Denzien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:42 PM   #10
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzien View Post
Is the front axle pushed out on that Jeep?
Yeppers
Mousejockey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:10 PM   #11
rckchucker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's possible but you'll have to do some custom fenders to make it work right. A friend of mine built this TJ back in 08. 1" body lift but left out the grill puck. It's very subtle but does offer slightly more forward visibility. imageuploadedbyag-free1440983351.482318.jpg

That is a normal TJ with a TeraFlex LCG lift for an LJ to get the 103" wheelbase. The front is not stretched much. If at all.
rckchucker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:18 PM   #12
RDPrimeaux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckchucker View Post
It's possible but you'll have to do some custom fenders to make it work right. A friend of mine built this TJ back in 08. 1" body lift but left out the grill puck. It's very subtle but does offer slightly more forward visibility. Attachment 2357034

That is a normal TJ with a TeraFlex LCG lift for an LJ to get the 103" wheelbase. The front is not stretched much. If at all.
That is pretty much what I was looking for. I could not remember what fenders were on the jeep. I guess it would have to be custom made tube fenders to fit that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.