Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #121
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was just planning on the scoop, cooler air in, lower engine comp temp, and possible place air filter closer to scoop to take advantage of cooler air, and when the engine is off, the heat traveling upwards will just dissapate out the scoop. It all sounds feesable but I am still thinking on it. I dont want to cut up a good hood only to find out I made things worse. Thanks for bouncing theorys off me, Helps to plan ahead. anymore input will be helpful.

Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 03:35 PM   #122
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any issues with Louvers and snow melting on the hood? And potentially refreezing inside the engine compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #123
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Have these destroyed the paint on your hood? anyone
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #124
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

No destruction of paint, I live in south Texas so no snow, I love mine, no they don't lower under hood temps, it's an aesthetic, that I think looks good
Unread 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #125
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
No destruction of paint, I live in south Texas so no snow, I love mine, no they don't lower under hood temps, it's an aesthetic, that I think looks good
i take it yours didnt require you to cut holes in the hood? If it did, it would lower the underhood temps quite a bit.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #126
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lumpster, let me rephrase, it did not lower running temps, it actually ran a little warmer IMO, and yes, I did cut into my hood, if I werent on my phone I'd upload the engine side pics, if ya checked the page before, you can see my set up,

Regards
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #127
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Lumpster, let me rephrase, it did not lower running temps, it actually ran a little warmer IMO, and yes, I did cut into my hood, if I werent on my phone I'd upload the engine side pics, if ya checked the page before, you can see my set up,

Regards
So it didnt lower coolant temps, but it did lower the air temp under the hood?
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #128
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have not thourougly tested or calculated the under hood air temp, in my humble opinion I don't thing there is a significant decrease.
Unread 02-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #129
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have not thourougly tested or calculated the under hood air temp, in my humble opinion I don't thing there is a significant decrease.
No it does lower underhood temp. I've done a lot of research on that before installing mine and I found many have thoroughly tested it before and after the install.

However, I think that the biggest benefit to that is to save the hood paint from fading due to the heat I guess. That and the intake now pulls colder air than it used to.

About the question regarding destroting the hood paint. Did you mean because of the cutting???
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #130
55willystruck

I have been running the Gen-Right 5 piece black louver set for a while now. Tested differences over a 3 day install roughly to see what and how each set effected the rig overall as well as any heat dissipation from underhood. If you understand the purpose of the louvers, then yes, they work quite well. They most certainly lower underhood temps and by a fair amount by allowing underhood heat to escape out the vents rather than being trapped under the hood. Due to a clogged cat, heat under my hood was so bad, I couldn't touch the hood at all without gloves to even open it. After install, no issue without gloves. Sure it's still warm, but not hot and certainly not blistering hot like before.

Regarding the cooling system-these do NOTHING for your cooling system at all. The won't make the rig run any cooler, nor will they make it run any warmer. If your cooling system is up to par, there should be no change to it after install of the louvers. If there is, it's purely coincidental and you need to evaluate your cooling system to find what's on the fritz.

I have the factory insulation underhood on my '05 LJ. When I installed these, rather than remove it entirely, I simply cut through the insulation where the vents were, and left the remainder in tact. I've been in many HEAVY rain storms now since install, sometimes for hours on end. Also been in heavy snow for extended periods of time. To date, I have had NO issues with either water or snow with the louvers. There is enough heat coming out at a fast enough rate that it pushes the water/snow out before it has a chance to enter. I've always made it standard practice in heavy snow to wipe all the snow off the vehicle before driving away. Around here, you'll get a ticket if you don't clean the snow, and it's safer anyway so after I start it to warm it up, I scrape all the windows, wipe off the hood, lights/taillights, etc., then drive away. I can't comment on how leaving several inches of snow on the hood would effect it as I just don't do that. With common sense and sensible safety habits prior to driving, there should be no issues with the louvers or effects under the hood.

I have also washed the rig a few times (gasp!) prior to install of other mods or other work done. From the washing on a cold rig where no heat has been generated under the hood, I DO have some water marks on the insulation now. This has been from washing while cold and getting carried away with the hose spraying into the louvered areas. Only issues here are my insulation is discolored a bit now in those areas-no running condition issues or other problems to speak of.

Regarding destruction of paint concerns-the only real issue you'll have here is the cutting of the hood and what it will do to the paint. I used a grinder with cut off disc for my first cuts as I couldn't find the jigsaw. Worked well but was a pain and did remove much more paint that I'd cared for as it chipped off/flaked off in areas rather than simply cutting through. After the first cut out, I looked harder for the jig saw. It worked MUCH better than the grinder, left the paint relatively unharmed around the cut compared to the grinder. I did prime everything prior to final install of the louvers to eliminate rust issues. With the concern for heat dissipation ruining your paint-while I don't have real LONG term testing in terms of years of service, what I can say to this point since install is it's not a concern. There's close to 1/2" or more of mounting flange around the louver that protects the paint in that area. The shape/design of the louvers vents it out and as heat rises, it goes up, rather than baking the hood paint further out. I've seen no ill effects to date from heat escape. Now, trail damage from timber-that's another story...

I should note that I had never really cared for louvers prior to install. I was hesitant at first to do it, but due to severe underhood heat problems that were killing other underhood components from the clogged cat, I did them against my will while waiting for parts to show up for cat replacement. Since then and after running them now for a good while in all conditions, I've changed my tune. They've grown on me quite a bit actually and I kinda dig the look now. The definitely do what they're supposed to do, which is remove excess heat under the hood. The 5 piece kit makes the most noticeable difference, but each piece added does have it's own benefits within it's limitations of size. Obviously more area to vent will have the greater effect of reducing temps. Water was a BIG concern for me, but has proven to be a non-issue. Overall, I'm really happy with them-which is surprising as I didn't care for them prior to purchase/install. Yes, I'd recommend them if you need them. If it's for looks only-well, that's your deal, no comment on that.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #131
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^^Great Post I was a little worried it might peel the pain of my hood from installing them. But seeing as how air will flow they should I would assume prevent that as you stated. I will be getting the 5 piece soon I would like it before I got to Arizona.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #132
TheBandit
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25 View Post
Not really, but here are some pics. Greenlee punches and a lot of measuring for symmetry. I actually made cardboard circles and taped them on until I had them where I wanted them. I then measured a few times, and punched.

Thats pretty cool idea for free as opposed to spending important dollars do you happen to have the measurements on what hole saws you used that would be great thanks
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #133
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Anyone got pics with the 5 piece setup both top an bottom of the hood?
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #134
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my hood vents online from Rod Louvers and Sheet Metal Design.

Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #135
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
Has anyone thought about using a hood scoop, I have been tossing the idea around, once the scoop is on drill some holes under it so the air would be forced in the engine bay when running and the heat would have a place to escape when shut off.
plus you would need to be moving at a higher rate of speed to "force" the air in the scoop.

at trail speeds it would not work well at all.

louvers would be the way to go if you really were into the idea, since hot air rises. as it rises cooler air would be pulled in from the bottom to replace it, or so the theory goes.

the manifold wrap is an interesting thought to consider. i wonder if it would help keep the heat down and out of the compartment.

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.