Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #106
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
ya Im basically following this layout
looks good. Now post more pics of girl in jeep

fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #107
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

haha thats not my ride, these are the ones I put on today
hoodlouver1.jpg   hoodlouver2.jpg   hoodlouver3.jpg   hoodlouver4.jpg  
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #108
Wajoe
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
wondering though if wrapping the headers might mess things up?:
if wrapped to tightly for sure the expansion characteristics of the headers change ... more and different cracks?
I have seen somewhere a header heat shield which is more like "socks" or "bags" or so to keep only a loose contact with the headers and still encapsulate them... EXPENSIVE
It's impossible to wrap it that tight. I'd be interested in the bag type insulator if I was looking at doing this to my jeep. Seems like it might be a lot simpler than trying to wrap that lumpy header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
To the guys that wrapped their manifolds and whatnot... I have read that over time moisture (rain,washing) will soak the wraps and it ends up rusting the wrapped piece in 10x the time, have yall checked them lately to confrim or deny?
I imagine that's only a problem if the thing sits around in disuse, but it could be exacerbated by mud. When it's running the moisture cooks off really quickly. With the bike I hardly ever get much rain(use the jeep on those days) and everything is right there in your face, so any mud or anything gets a good cleaning. I could only see it being a problem retaining moisture if I let it parked outside in the fog or hose everything off and then not run it around the block.

When I did the install on the bike I gave my pipes a few good coats of VHT paint first to help that too, just in case. It's not the best paint for anti-moisture, but it's the best poor mans approach that can take the heat. If someone is truly worried about a wrapped header rotting out before the rest of the jeep then getting it professionally ceramic coated before wrapping would be the way to go. ($$$)

Here's one pipe done and the other waiting. That's the bung for a wide band O2 sensor on the crossover pipe. AFR meters are cool tools for dialing in carbs The darker spots are just water, you soak the wrap to help get it tight when installing. I learned the hard way to rinse the wrap about 5 or 6 times to get all the factory grime off or it'll turn funny colors and takes longer to stop smelling.

Last edited by Wajoe; 09-01-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Wajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #109
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wajoe View Post
It's impossible to wrap it that tight. I'd be interested in the bag type insulator if I was looking at doing this to my jeep. Seems like it might be a lot simpler than trying to wrap that lumpy header.
Thermotec has all this stuff :
14003-header-manifold-blanket.html

11246-high-velocity-exhaust-jackets.html

anyone tried this stuff ?
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #110
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ok so Ive been actually running a little warmer than usual AFTER installing my hood louvers.. my only guess is that the Aussie Locker I put in 4 days prior is causing the engine to try a little harder, might recharge my K&N CAI and see if that helps...
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #111
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone thought about using a hood scoop, I have been tossing the idea around, once the scoop is on drill some holes under it so the air would be forced in the engine bay when running and the heat would have a place to escape when shut off.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #112
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
Has anyone thought about using a hood scoop, I have been tossing the idea around, once the scoop is on drill some holes under it so the air would be forced in the engine bay when running and the heat would have a place to escape when shut off.
That's exactly the opposite of the louvers. You need the hot air to escape from under the hood not add air to it. The scoops would work on a RAM AIR system or a turbo system where the intercooler is under the scoop like Impreza's.

The louvers are vents which hot air can excape from when moving
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #113
jeepcj7304
1985 CJ7 

Planning the same thing on my CJ just got my new 360 installed and my temp is reaching 220 regularly. I know the headers put off a ton of heat and I am hoping this is the answer. I just hate to cut the hood and it not help.
jeepcj7304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #114
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj7304 View Post
Planning the same thing on my CJ just got my new 360 installed and my temp is reaching 220 regularly. I know the headers put off a ton of heat and I am hoping this is the answer. I just hate to cut the hood and it not help.
It will not my dear friend. Those louvers will only lower the under hood air tempreture around the engine. It does nothing to the tempreture of the running engine itself.
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #115
jeepcj7304
1985 CJ7 

Wont heat escaping allow more cool air to blow accross the motor helping cool it?
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #116
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, but it probably isn't going to help all that much. If you aren't cooling the way you want with water running through the engine, what makes you think that air running over the engine is going to help any?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 12:28 AM   #117
jeepcj7304
1985 CJ7 

guess I was just hoping it would be that easy. My temps are hitting 220 in my 360 with new pump, flushed out 4 core rad, and electric taurus fan.
Unread 09-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #118
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

my XJ is experiencing the vapor lock issue due to cincinnati's unusually hot weather. I have started to install (damn jig saw blade broke at 9:30) vents in the hood in hopes of drawing out some of that heat. I dont have a scan guage but I can say that my underhood temps are so hot to the point of poping the hood would scald your face from "backdraft" It was literally like opening the oven. My intake manifold gets so hot that it is not touchable. I will let you all know how my XJ venting goes. It has got to do something. My next project is goingo to be a wrapped cowl intake.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #119
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
That's exactly the opposite of the louvers. You need the hot air to escape from under the hood not add air to it. The scoops would work on a RAM AIR system or a turbo system where the intercooler is under the scoop like Impreza's.

The louvers are vents which hot air can excape from when moving
My thoughts are that if your moving your forcing cooler air in, and when your sitting the heat has a place has to escape. I was also thinking to re locate the air filter so it is closer to the scoop to take advantage of the cooler air in but keep it just out of the way so if in a heavy rain I dont swamp the air filter.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #120
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
My thoughts are that if your moving your forcing cooler air in, and when your sitting the heat has a place has to escape. I was also thinking to re locate the air filter so it is closer to the scoop to take advantage of the cooler air in but keep it just out of the way so if in a heavy rain I dont swamp the air filter.
You can't get all three mods in just one ... You probably can but it would take alot of effort and planning!

You have the engine cooling which depends on water (coollant). You have the cold air intake or Ram Air. And you have the engine compartment heat disposal. And each of these have their own mods, parts and setup.

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.