Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-29-2010, 11:09 PM   #91
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

wrapping the headers like showed above might be worth a thought WHEN they crack and the replacement effort has to be made. (for me at least)

wondering though if wrapping the headers might mess things up?:
if wrapped to tightly for sure the expansion characteristics of the headers change ... more and different cracks?
I have seen somewhere a header heat shield which is more like "socks" or "bags" or so to keep only a loose contact with the headers and still encapsulate them... EXPENSIVE

chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #92
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuts View Post
It's my Sirius Satelite Radio Antenna. Can't wheel without a good sound track man. I got lucky with my hood. I had a slight run in with a 5 ton truck and a brick wall. The Jeep lost that fight but I got my AEV hood out of the deal. I think all in hood and paint you would be looking at a little under a thousand dollars. I bought it for the apearance and not the heat reduction though. The two bumps on the hood look mean from the side.
You do know the antenna can be mounted on the roll bar, under the zippered cover and will pick up signal just fine with a hard or soft top, right?

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 04:50 AM   #93
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I assume adding vents would help an issue I'm having. When on a long trip on the highway on a hot day, my A/C feels cold but even with the blower turned all the way up it's hardly blowing any air out (like it's on low). I have assumed the engine is running too hot and the computer (?) cuts the A/C for that reason? The A/C later returns to normal.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #94
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i used perforated metal from mcmaster. someone in my club coined them "stealth vents"

while they did not make a dramatic difference in engine temp, the underhood temp was reduced. i was melting all sort of stuff underneath and since i put in the hood vents it has been relatively cool in the engine bay.
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #95
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ details on how you cut the holes. I have thought of doing that, but was afraid I couldn't make the holes that pretty...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #96
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i used a step drill to make the corners and then a metal shear for the sides. (use plenty of painters tape to protect the metal) that way it stayed cool and i only had to paint the cut edge. hardest part was measuring 15 times so i didn't screw it up.
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #97
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Air sheers?

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #98
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

electric actually. but my guess is either should work fine.
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #99
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installing mine today (between 2 and 4am I guess), I am planning on symmetry therefore my rear driver and passenger (Genright 3pc long black) will be moved a little more forward just so the pass louver isnt directly over battery terminals or fuse box. Will post pics during and after
To the guys that wrapped their manifolds and whatnot... I have read that over time moisture (rain,washing) will soak the wraps and it ends up rusting the wrapped piece in 10x the time, have yall checked them lately to confrim or deny?
Unread 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #100
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm subscribing because this sounds interesting as all hell
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #101
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

With a deep understanding of this particular topic, YES THEY WORK, assuming they're done correctly.

I have accurate intake temp data logs to prove as well as a dyno-sheet showing a 7-10whp gain.

Also to the guy above who went to mcmaster carr to get that aluminum sheet, I went to the same place when I first vented my own sports car hood. I used a snap-on brand air saw to cut the holes and found a clever way to attach them without using any screws etc. Also I can show you how to build slip on cover that needs no holes to help with muddy days if you wish your engine compartment to stay clean. Rain is no worry, even in Seattle where I lived prior.

-Greg
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #102
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
Installing mine today (between 2 and 4am I guess), I am planning on symmetry therefore my rear driver and passenger (Genright 3pc long black) will be moved a little more forward just so the pass louver isnt directly over battery terminals or fuse box. Will post pics during and after
To the guys that wrapped their manifolds and whatnot... I have read that over time moisture (rain,washing) will soak the wraps and it ends up rusting the wrapped piece in 10x the time, have yall checked them lately to confrim or deny?
But don't place them too forward though. You don't want water going in the air intake . BTW water will not harm your fuse because they covered up.

If you read the first few posts here you would see pictures showing the hot spots under the hood. You should stick to that when placing those vents.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #103
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
I'm subscribing because this sounds interesting as all hell
If you want to see the end result of the install, I have posted a link to the install in page 6 post #84
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #104
CCGRUNT0331
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
But don't place them too forward though. You don't want water going in the air intake . BTW water will not harm your fuse because they covered up.

If you read the first few posts here you would see pictures showing the hot spots under the hood. You should stick to that when placing those vents.
ya Im basically following this layout
hood-louver.jpg  
Unread 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #105
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGRUNT0331 View Post
ya Im basically following this layout
That's exactly how I did it

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.