Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 07-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #76
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There was a thread somewhere on the net where a person did some really intense research and showed that the majority of the heat from the engine bay was concentrated to the firewall on the driver's side of a TJ. The research showed all sorts of graphs and data that this fellow compiled - pretty interesting stuff.
Anyway, with that in mind, it makes me wonder - has anybody put a vent on the side of the front? Like right below the brake master cylinder area?
Didn't the old mail Jeeps have a vent door there?

Again, my only concern is the water over the engine. I understand that some water (i.e. cleaning, the occasional puddle splash) is ok, but with the deluges we get here in North Florida coupled with the heat - I just don't want to be prematurely rusting out components in the engine compartment.

Is there anybody NOT living in the sands of the west that has vents installed in the hood that could chime in?

maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #77
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddiver View Post
There was a thread somewhere on the net where a person did some really intense research and showed that the majority of the heat from the engine bay was concentrated to the firewall on the driver's side of a TJ. The research showed all sorts of graphs and data that this fellow compiled - pretty interesting stuff.
Anyway, with that in mind, it makes me wonder - has anybody put a vent on the side of the front? Like right below the brake master cylinder area?
Didn't the old mail Jeeps have a vent door there?

Again, my only concern is the water over the engine. I understand that some water (i.e. cleaning, the occasional puddle splash) is ok, but with the deluges we get here in North Florida coupled with the heat - I just don't want to be prematurely rusting out components in the engine compartment.

Is there anybody NOT living in the sands of the west that has vents installed in the hood that could chime in?
1. That makes sense...you've got the exhaust manifold right there, so there's going to be a ton of heat coming off of it. From what I've found, the front and sides of the block are the vital, heat-soaked areas...and most of the louver kits seem to support mounting in these locations.

2. Several of the tube fender kits have a vent in this location.

3. I think someone mentioned a plate below the louver area to help with rain problems...you could probably fab up something that drained water pretty well, and even piped it off via a hose, if you're creative enough. However, I have an idea: why doesn't someone look into having a small lip rolled in the louvers in front of each vent? This would do a lot to prevent infiltration from the surface runoff from the top sides of the vents themselves: it would be mostly redirected to the surface of the hood, and all you would have to worry about would be the raindrops that go directly through the openings themselves. The stamping can't be that much more difficult...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #78
Knuts
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Wow that's a good number... But still this hood would be too expensive for me to order.

Oh and is that a GPS antenna behind the washer nozzle??
It's my Sirius Satelite Radio Antenna. Can't wheel without a good sound track man. I got lucky with my hood. I had a slight run in with a 5 ton truck and a brick wall. The Jeep lost that fight but I got my AEV hood out of the deal. I think all in hood and paint you would be looking at a little under a thousand dollars. I bought it for the apearance and not the heat reduction though. The two bumps on the hood look mean from the side.
Knuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #79
cyberiv
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
So I found the Gen-Right 3pc set on ebay for $84 including shipping!

I have contacted the seller because there was something wrong I think in the description... He says that (Front louver 22" x 3-3/4" & Rear louvers 7-3/4" x 8.)

The front measurments are ok I think but the rear ones I'm not sure... According to those figures they look more in a square shape than rectagle. Can someone confirm those measurements??
If you go to gen-right, they have a short and a long kit, thats prolly the short 3pc kit.
cyberiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #80
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberiv View Post
If you go to gen-right, they have a short and a long kit, thats prolly the short 3pc kit.
You are right... I emailed the seller and he corrected the listing
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #81
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and I ordered them... The package is on the way
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #82
SFT2
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I cheaped out and went with some stainless vents from the boat store. Should be here in a couple of weeks.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel.
SFT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #83
thisgardengrove
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
i have no scan guage to show differences, my main reason was to help heat escape the engine compartment to help witht he overheating of my PSC steering pump. unfortunately my jeep is broke so i have to test it on the trails which is where the real test is, so basically i have nothing to add to this thread except pics of where i did my vents.
what size hole saw did you use?
thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #84
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have finished the install

Check it out fellas

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ge...05/index2.html
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #85
bd1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone tried GenRight's Perforated Side Panels with their tube fenders? Wondering if they would vent hot air as well as louvers and reduce underhood temp?

bd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #86
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are mine (from another forum)...

Also from a marine supply store

Budget Hood Vents - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #87
nhel
1986 CJ7 

How did you mount the screeening on the inside?? thx
nhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #88
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgardengrove View Post
what size hole saw did you use?
"3 saw. you can use any size you want though
Unread 08-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #89
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhel View Post
How did you mount the screeening on the inside?? thx
i used red high heat RTV sealant
Unread 08-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #90
Wajoe
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I saw a couple posts about using header wrap on the fuel rail.... since the goal is lower under hood temps it made me wonder why no one mentioned the wrap for it's original purpose 'til I went and popped my hood. The exhaust manifold seems pretty unwrapable at first glance.

I installed it on one of my bikes and it works really well. Not that I have to worry about hood temps but no more burns when I'm going for tools I can actually hold the pipe while it's running it insulates that well. Did the install at the same time as an air/fuel meter(temporary) so that's why there are wires going into my tool bag in this pic.

Wajoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.