Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #61
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

here's mine. A2Z Fab panel. works great when offroading or stop and go traffic. don't notice a diff on the highway.

tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #62
heslep1

i like em but might be more partial to scoops (just not mexican scoops) lol
heslep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #63
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hood venting is worth it, in my opinion. The heat shimmers, coming out of the vents while crawling on the trail, are very noticeable.

My write-up on the vents in my hood.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #64
maddiver
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stu, as always that's a great writeup on the hood louvers.

ONE QUESTION - and this is the ONLY thing keeping me from putting some on -

How about rain? Here in Florida we get a LOT (which ultimately becomes the steam that makes driving so dang hot).

Does the water seem to cause you any problems running over engine components that were previously covered?
maddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #65
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've been caught in some rain showers with vents installed in the hood....once back in '07 and again in '09. It took me a while to figure out where the wiper control was.

Living here in Arizona, we don't see the kind of moisture lots of folks see living in other parts of the country.

That being said....all I can say is that in the 10+ years of my washing the TJ's engine compartment with a high pressure nozzle at the local car wash....it hasn't seem to bother anything. And that was done on a fairly frequent basis. My reasoning then is that the rain, dribbling in through the vent, doesn't hurt it either.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #66
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run the gen right kit 3 piece kit. it works for the under the hood heat. before them when i popped the hood id burn my hands on just about everything. now everythng is just warm.
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #67
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdualsport View Post
I run the gen right kit 3 piece kit. it works for the under the hood heat. before them when i popped the hood id burn my hands on just about everything. now everythng is just warm.
Really?? That much ha??
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #68
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson View Post
I've been caught in some rain showers with vents installed in the hood....once back in '07 and again in '09. It took me a while to figure out where the wiper control was.

Living here in Arizona, we don't see the kind of moisture lots of folks see living in other parts of the country.

That being said....all I can say is that in the 10+ years of my washing the TJ's engine compartment with a high pressure nozzle at the local car wash....it hasn't seem to bother anything. And that was done on a fairly frequent basis. My reasoning then is that the rain, dribbling in through the vent, doesn't hurt it either.
Thanks for the writeup Stu and for all the info... I think I'm going to get the Gen-Rights as they are cheaper and will do the same effect, right?

Of course the best location for the three pieces is as shown in pictures, right?
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #69
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The engine will be just fine with rain water. Already gets wet when driving in rain, going through puddles, etc.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #70
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ya that's true...
Unread 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #71
Knuts
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I find that my AEV hood reduces my temperature gauge by nearly 10 degrees. It probably reduces temperatures under the hood by 25 degrees realisticly. Plus it is the best looking hood on a jeep that I have ever seen.

Knuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #72
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuts View Post
I find that my AEV hood reduces my temperature gauge by nearly 10 degrees. It probably reduces temperatures under the hood by 25 degrees realisticly. Plus it is the best looking hood on a jeep that I have ever seen.

Wow that's a good number... But still this hood would be too expensive for me to order.

Oh and is that a GPS antenna behind the washer nozzle??
Unread 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #73
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Wow I couldn't cut my hood like that to scared i would mess it up. But they look great if all fails nice addition to the hood.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #74
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I found the Gen-Right 3pc set on ebay for $84 including shipping!

I have contacted the seller because there was something wrong I think in the description... He says that (Front louver 22" x 3-3/4" & Rear louvers 7-3/4" x 8.)

The front measurments are ok I think but the rear ones I'm not sure... According to those figures they look more in a square shape than rectagle. Can someone confirm those measurements??
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #75
KDOG2008
2004 WJ 

Good thread. I've been going back and forth on how to mitigate the "heat soak" issue with the 4.0Ls. I have a 04 WJ and have experienced it after towing my camper. Its ugly.

So whats the recommendation on where to place them on WJs' and which kind to purchase?
KDOG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.