Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #46
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,141
There's another thread going right now about a cowl intake using the Windstar airbox...and the topic of heat soak through the intake tubing came up. The consensus - myself aside - was that the air velocity through the intake was too quick to allow any heat soaking. Now, physically, I know this can't work, but I was tired of arguing at that point. No dyno sheet and no fuel usage data = subjective opinion, not fact.

__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #47
J03_TJ
Self Smarted
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Now, physically, I know this can't work, but I was tired of arguing at that point. No dyno sheet and no fuel usage data = subjective opinion, not fact
Sorry, just making a funny here. Do you have any facts that proves any other consensus?


I think you probably found the link that we had seen, yep no hard data that I could find either, just impressions.
Doesn't really sound like too many drawbacks except you have a little cooler air coming in and have to remember what type of air filter you have.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #48
Robert J. yates
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: mars
Posts: 2,960
I have a Scanguage hardwired into my rig and I can monitor IAT temps real time. Wrapping my intake tube took me all of 10 minutes so the weather and temp variables were unchanged when I measured the results.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 03:31 PM   #49
TJeeper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lindon, UT
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25 View Post
That is brilliant. My current "hot air intake system" does not lend itself to that, but it is a really good idea.
I had a similar intake on my TJ. I pulled the filter and put in this one. Also wrapped it thermo tape.



I didn't check my before and after intake temps like Robert did, but it did make a difference on hills at highway speed in the summer.
__________________
Patrick
'99 TJ
TJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #50
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
I have a Scanguage hardwired into my rig and I can monitor IAT temps real time. Wrapping my intake tube took me all of 10 minutes so the weather and temp variables were unchanged when I measured the results.
Why would you want to monitor the intake air temp??
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #51
bandit455
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
That is exactly what it is.


haha, yep, a semi common issue in them xj's, you'll see popped hoods all day long when its 90+
__________________
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #52
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Doesn't really sound like too many drawbacks except you have a little cooler air coming in and have to remember what type of air filter you have.
That's about the sum of it. And any cooler air is good, in my opinion...I'm just not counting on lots of power from it.

As far as data for proving heat soak is concerned, it's simple conduction and convection. There's no way air of a given temperature can contact/pass over a surface of a differing temperature and not be affected. It's simple energy transfer, and it has to do with one of those pesky laws that make up "science." Now, it might be a very, very slight change in our case of intake tubes, but it does happen. Nitpicking, I know.

I think the cowl intake, along with an insulated intake tube and good louvers would make a very effective way of lowering the temperature in the intake. Of course, the intake itself will get hot, but it will also be radiating that heat back out into air that's much cooler...again, simple conduction and convection.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
J03_TJ
Self Smarted
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's about the sum of it. And any cooler air is good, in my opinion...I'm just not counting on lots of power from it.

As far as data for proving heat soak is concerned, it's simple conduction and convection. There's no way air of a given temperature can contact/pass over a surface of a differing temperature and not be affected. It's simple energy transfer, and it has to do with one of those pesky laws that make up "science." Now, it might be a very, very slight change in our case of intake tubes, but it does happen. Nitpicking, I know.

I think the cowl intake, along with an insulated intake tube and good louvers would make a very effective way of lowering the temperature in the intake. Of course, the intake itself will get hot, but it will also be radiating that heat back out into air that's much cooler...again, simple conduction and convection.
I agree. Not sure it matters at all though with this 4.0. Too many of them on the road without this mod.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #54
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
Yes can we get back to the louvers please? Thank you

Now according to your experience guys. Which of those two types of hood louvers would have the best results in lowering the engine heat temps??
66ab_12.jpg   110161-lg.jpg  
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #55
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami
 
Sundowner's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Republic of Dave
Posts: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
Yes can we get back to the louvers please?
I'm sorry if that sounded off-track. I was trying to talk about the effectiveness of those exact objects towards a specific goal. I mean, if they don't serve a function, then what's the point? Looks?

Towards answering the above question: the first set. They can be located at the hot spots. The raised hood panel - to my understanding - is not the ideal location.
__________________
If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #56
bandit455
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 1,335
i got a buddy that installed the lower one, hyline offroad is semi local to me, and another buddy actually donated an xj to them so they could develop xj louvers and eventually bumpers.

that being said I think either will be just as effective. just a space for the air to escape is really whats necessary so its up to you and your style of how you want to do it.
__________________
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #57
Dryseals
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 628
I guess my concern is for rain. We get a lot of it here and some times it severe.

My hood paint is faded right were the hot spots are, it needs repainting, may as well add some vents, but I'm worried about the wet stuff.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #58
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryseals View Post
I guess my concern is for rain. We get a lot of it here and some times it severe.

My hood paint is faded right were the hot spots are, it needs repainting, may as well add some vents, but I'm worried about the wet stuff.
That is exactly my situation And the water getting to the engine either from rain or from washing the car is a good thing to think about!!!

If I went with the Gen-rights (the 3pcs) the passenger side vent will be right above the fuse box, the battery and the coil packs. Wouldn't this effect any of those? Of course there is a way to avoid this by installing a drain plate underneath the louvers, right?
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #59
bandit455
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 1,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
That is exactly my situation And the water getting to the engine either from rain or from washing the car is a good thing to think about!!!

If I went with the Gen-rights (the 3pcs) the passenger side vent will be right above the fuse box, the battery and the coil packs. Wouldn't this effect any of those? Of course there is a way to avoid this by installing a drain plate underneath the louvers, right?
but those drain plates kind of make the louvers useless...
__________________
Eagle scout jeeper #10

my build thread
The Things We Make, Make Us
bandit455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #60
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit455 View Post
but those drain plates kind of make the louvers useless...
No they won't... You're not gonna stick them right on the louvers! half an inch between them would do just fine for air to get out as you move.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.