Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

Artec JK Under Armor BellypanEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #16
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like this idea from JU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post
I used the vents off a late model TJ/LJ tailgate
Exhauster P/N 5505598AD
Just pops in a 6"x6 1/2" hole. closes automaticly when you shut off the engine or water goes over the hood.
Works on the same principle as cowl flaps on aircraft and vents radiator heat with the prop wash from the fan,not low pressure over the hood.
Best flow was achieved 9" from the front of the hood for low speed crawling.
The faster you drive, the further back the sweet spot moves based on my experiments. I personaly dont like the look of the rear mounted outboard vents like some of the other guys run so I just worked the center mounted ones.
Mine reduced the underhood temps by 20* and as a result, my fan clutch hardly ever locks up to the point of the annoying roar any more.

newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
So the hood louvers idea should actually work in reducing engine heat as long as you place them in those specific locations. And that kit from off-road tools does look good and simple.
one thing i can tell you is after driving the jeep in this heat/humidity that afer i shut the engine off and i walk by the front of the jeep i can feel the heat pouring out from my new vents.
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
one thing i can tell you is after driving the jeep in this heat/humidity that afer i shut the engine off and i walk by the front of the jeep i can feel the heat pouring out from my new vents.
Yeah tell me about it... This heat has actually ruined the paint on my hood

Ok, I guess I'm gonna go for the 3pc Gen-right hood louvers... What do you all think???
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #19
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newracer View Post
I like this idea from JU
Great idea
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a pair of the Genrites in my hood... no big deal. They do what they are supposed to and seem to be made well. Cheap good looking solution IMO.
Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, actual photos of actual tests. That's slick as all get-out. Thanks!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25 View Post
I did home made vents. Using my Scangauge II to monitor the intake temperature the vents lowered the temperature approximately 30 degrees. I had my hood off last week while it was getting repainted, and the temperature went down another 30 degrees on average.

Hey, got a quick write up I could browse?

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Hey, got a quick write up I could browse?
Not really, but here are some pics. Greenlee punches and a lot of measuring for symmetry. I actually made cardboard circles and taped them on until I had them where I wanted them. I then measured a few times, and punched.

97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome, looks great...I may be stealing your idea shortly.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #25
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good work But I think if you want a good circulation of air the louvers will do it much more efficiently, I think !
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #26
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Those who have been on a dusty trail with the louvers, does the dust get sucked up and blown out the louvers as it normally does out from the bottom? If I install some, I don't want dust being blown up thru the louvers and then drawn in by the cabin intake.
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so what benefit does this provide exactly? Your engine temp (coolant) won't be changed i don't think. None of the other parts under my hood have "melted" or anything with 90,000 miles. Is this to cool the engine bay so the engine can draw in cooler air??
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

All I could think of my lifter noise will be back in the summer too.
J03_TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its a cumulative benefit on top of other mods IMO. Getting rid of that trapped hot air preserves parts, wiring and in general, eliminates some of the heat sink into the tub. In addition to the hood louvers, I have a 195* t-stat in a Hesco hi flo housing, 2 row Novak AL radiator, Hesco hi flow water pump and I have my tranny cooler separated out of the radiator. My rig does noes not get hot. My tub does not get hot and my AC is cold.
Robert J. yates is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #30
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
so what benefit does this provide exactly? Your engine temp (coolant) won't be changed i don't think. None of the other parts under my hood have "melted" or anything with 90,000 miles. Is this to cool the engine bay so the engine can draw in cooler air??
Being that you're in Vancouver, there probably wouldn't be such a benefit as those in the southern climates. I live in Washington now, but before that I was in the desert of southern California. In the summer, my hood would get so hot I couldn't lift if after I'd been driving it. After I installed the hood louvers on Oman Jeep's site, I could easily lift the hood after driving the Jeep. Also, before the vents, my emissions hoses rotted clean through after only three years. Since I installed the vents six years ago, I haven't had any underhood heat related problems since.

Here's a link to the original test from 2003 of the heat/pressure zones under the hood of a TJ: Auxiliary Cooling Hood Louvers / Vents - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.