Hood louvers... Do they really work? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hood louvers... Do they really work?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #181
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

couldnt remember if i posted in here or not. total cost for me was somehwere around $15

0507111830.jpg  
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #182
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ View Post
So does anyone know where to find a diagram of hot spots on a TJ hood where the temperatures rise the most? I saw one before when looking into hood louvers and cold air intakes but I can't seem to find it again.
Maybe this will help http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm
jeepwrangler97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #183
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

perfect. exactly what i was looking for.

Hopefully this is reliable.

"Wha's a Jeep?" Popeye asks Professor Brainstine.

[COLOR="Blue"]_/l ,[___],
l--L --OlllllO-[/COLOR]
[B]()_)()_)-o-)_)[/B]

[URL="http://northshorejeeps.forumotion.com/"]North Shore Jeeps[/URL]

[B]WTB:[/B] Poison Spyder Hood Louver, AEM Brute Force CAI, High flow Exhaust, Rokmen High Clearance Belly Pan, Engo 9-10K winch, Air Lockers
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #184
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how it has been since I installed my GenRights, A year I think! Anyway all I know after I tried them on is that the most obvious thing they do is preserve the hood paint from heat by letting the heat escape from nderneath it.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #185
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Now that I have the 5pc Gen-Right louvres, I have a related question -

I have a 2.5, I have removed the fan from the motor and gone to an electric fan, is there any reason to keep all of the fan shroud thats directing hot air on to the engine and keeping air flow restricted. I know the power steering reservoir has to mount to it, but other than that is there any reason to keep the shroud with an electric fan?
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #186
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
I have a 2.5, I have removed the fan from the motor and gone to an electric fan, is there any reason to keep all of the fan shroud thats directing hot air on to the engine and keeping air flow restricted. I know the power steering reservoir has to mount to it, but other than that is there any reason to keep the shroud with an electric fan?
I was under the impression that electric fans had a shroud incorporated with them.
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #187
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
Now that I have the 5pc Gen-Right louvres, I have a related question -

When installing fans on different items, I've read in the instructions that removing the fan shroud would "severely diminish directional airflow." I've seen the same thing stated here many times when people talk about installing E fans. It would seem to me that you could cut the shroud back, but I wouldn't know how close you can get to the fan before it would start screwing up the air flow. On the fans here at work that I was talking about the "shroud" only extends a few inches past the fan, but they are much smaller than the fans on our motors.

From what I understand you need the shroud to stop the air from being blown out parallel to the fan blades. When this happens it pulls air from both front and back sides of the fan instead of pulling from the front and blowing out the back.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #188
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think I will try to find a 4.0 stock shroud, that should allow plenty of directional flow and be about 12" shorter than what I have now, or I may cut mine down to 6-8 inches from the radiator
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #189
ThUmPeRcOn
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll play, here's mine "Cyclone hood louver"... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/cy...nstall-568988/

P.s... Several years later no problem with rust in the engine bay or paint around the louver, everything is the same except for a few additional mods...
Unread 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #190
dwbrown
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Gen-Right Louvers I installed seem to help with the underhood temps. they also look cool when you get water in the engine compartment and the steam rises up out of them .
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #191
speedbump94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the best reason that i can think of for hood louvers (that hasn't already been posted) is if you were doing a water crossing the air couldn't escape out the bottom of the engine bay how it normally would
speedbump94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #192
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

mine :

myhoodlouvers.jpg

one more effect : the hood does NOT wiggle up and down anymore going fast on the highway

so I assume LOTS of air is vacuumed up THROUGH the hood now ... hot air

btw: passenger side paint (clear coat) was starting to fade already ... so instead of repainting this is a different kind of "touch up"
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #193
dwbrown
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking the other day if you could put small fans under the louvers that run for like 5 or so minutes after you shut the engine off to blow more heat out of the engine bay. Not sure what would work though.
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #194
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbrown View Post
I was thinking the other day if you could put small fans under the louvers that run for like 5 or so minutes after you shut the engine off to blow more heat out of the engine bay. Not sure what would work though.
not sure if this is necessary though... chimney effect (hot air is rising up ... pulling more colder air rom underneath the engine) and the louvers are on top of the hood ... I think there is a constant air flow when standing still already.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #195
dwbrown
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
not sure if this is necessary though... chimney effect (hot air is rising up ... pulling more colder air rom underneath the engine) and the louvers are on top of the hood ... I think there is a constant air flow when standing still already.
It would be nice for blowing more air out than what would naturally rise out

Tags
hood , louvers , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.