hood louvers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hood louvers

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

hood louvers

so the underhood temps in my jeep are getting too high, and i've been roasting components. i'm looking to add hood louvers. the biggest issue is that i run without a windshield a lot on the trail, and i really don't want louvers that direct the underhood heat directly at my face! can anyone recommend a hood louver where i won't have this issue?

Unread 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i do not have hood louver my self but as an idea
-place the louvers on the sides of the hood so that the heat is ejected out the sides and away from you.
-also doing a radiator flush and putting in fresh fluid will bring your radiator back to peak performance and help bring temps down. also along the radiator train of though you can swap in an aluminum radiator if you can afford one.
-get the 7 blade HD fan from the stealership
-swap in an electric fan
hopefully that you can find a solution that will get your under hood temps go down and not have hot air dumping on your face
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

some guy with a YJ sawpped volvo vents to the side of his hood and he said they work well and look decent too. he's on the forum here somewhere.
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devuurstorm View Post
-place the louvers on the sides of the hood so that the heat is ejected out the sides and away from you. Oman4x4 did a writeup about placement of the vents, top was best from what he gathered, its all on his website
-also doing a radiator flush and putting in fresh fluid will bring your radiator back to peak performance and help bring temps down. backflush the heater core while you at it also along the radiator train of though you can swap in an aluminum radiator if you can afford one. They come with an aluminum radiator from the factory
-get the 7 blade HD fan from the stealership I heard they discontinued them, may want to look into it
-swap in an electric fan Will only raise temp
hopefully that you can find a solution that will get your under hood temps go down and not have hot air dumping on your face how is hot air dumping on your face without turning on the heater?

a few changes

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

-place the louvers on the sides of the hood so that the heat is ejected out the sides and away from you. Oman4x4 did a writeup about placement of the vents, top was best from what he gathered, its all on his website
i was assuming the top would be best, but i was hoping to find louvers that don't direct the heat straight back

-also doing a radiator flush and putting in fresh fluid will bring your radiator back to peak performance and help bring temps down. backflush the heater core while you at it also along the radiator train of though you can swap in an aluminum radiator if you can afford one. They come with an aluminum radiator from the factory
i just flushed the whole system, engine temps are not the problem

-get the 7 blade HD fan from the stealership I heard they discontinued them, may want to look into it
-swap in an electric fan Will only raise temp
the electric helped with slow speed engine overheating

hopefully that you can find a solution that will get your under hood temps go down and not have hot air dumping on your face how is hot air dumping on your face without turning on the heater?
it could dump heat in my face as i generally wheel without a windshield, and if the vents are near the back of the hood on top the heat could come right at me
Unread 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could get these (Attwood louvers for example, quite inexpensive)

and put them on the sides.

Top may be better, but this is still far better than none.
Or maybe put them on the top of the hood but as far to the side as you can.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
PhulesAu
1985 VJ 

look at some place like west marine too, small panels for engine compartments.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
You could get these (Attwood louvers for example, quite inexpensive)

and put them on the sides.

Top may be better, but this is still far better than none.
Or maybe put them on the top of the hood but as far to the side as you can.
Haha marine pieces? Hey they look good and work I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
Mediarocker

You could try cutting a hole in the fender behind the flare and put some louvers there.. being near the firewall the fan will push the heat out.

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
tshively
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you put louvers in and want air flow try a 11 blade (plastic) fan out of a Ford ranger. I used the clutch as well it is off of a 2001 model year and it is approx. 1/2" shorter so it gives me a little more room with a thicker aftermarket 3 row aluminum radiator. I have yet to run it but the test fit this last winter looked like it would work. The flex-a-lite that I have now works good in cool weather but I am afraid that when summer gets here it will not pull enough air through the 3-row radiator??
tshively is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Mediarocker

You sure you need a 3 row? Seems a little over kill if you get a good quality radiator..

Currently Jeepless against my own will.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:36 AM   #12
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i have a hood louvre panel on my heep from a2z fab. awesome panel and works great on the trail and around town. i dunno if i'm allowed to post pics or not but i'll try.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just triple core and be done with it, why waste time with louvers. And if a triple core radiator with the stock fan isnt enough, you have other issues you need to address.

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #14
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

since you have an electric fan. Consider having a switch that reverses the polarity to the motor. Then when your stopped of crawling. You can blow the heat out of the front.
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #15
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

its not the engine that is overheating, read his original post. He is cooking other components, so its underhood temps that he is worried about, not the radiators ability to take care of the engine heat.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.