Homemade tailgate vent? Newer hardtop on older body - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade tailgate vent? Newer hardtop on older body

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksRedHot View Post
Tailgate swaps, especially those involving repainting to the proper color (if need be), are not practical or consistently repeatable.
I guess it's all about perspective. I've swapped out at least 7 tailgates this year alone. I've done 3 in the last month and a half. It's simple, easy, and very effective for what you're trying to accomplish.

As far as the repaint part goes. It is the single simplest part of the TJ to paint. No blending is required, all the parts that don't get painted are readily removeable so no masking is needed.

There are lots of tailgates floating around for various reasons. Totalled rigs are often parted out and the tailgates seem to survive pretty well. If I go count, I've probably got 3 laying down in the yard right now and I'm 99 percent sure that the white one has the vent.

I know that you're resistant to the idea, but outside of your monetary restraints, it is by far the easier way to go.

Unread 10-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #17
FranksRedHot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do the louvers on the vent open/close with the pressure changes, or are they in a fixed position? Also, what's on the inside of the 03+ TJ tailgates? Another set of plastic vents, or slits in the metal? I've never seen one and don't know anyone with one. Thank you!
FranksRedHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
MisterO

Quote:
Do the louvers on the vent open/close with the pressure changes, or are they in a fixed position? Also, what's on the inside of the 03+ TJ tailgates? Another set of plastic vents, or slits in the metal? I've never seen one and don't know anyone with one. Thank you!
inside is slits in the metal and the outside is the plastic vent..

poor picture but you get the idea...
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
FranksRedHot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you!

Do the plastic louvers on the outside vent open and close, or are they fixed in position? I'm wondering if I can just add my own to the outside, and cut holes/slits on the inside (so long as I can ensure air has a pathway through the inside of the tailgate, which I can do thanks to an earlier posting of the taken-apart tailgate).
FranksRedHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wow i never really thought the vent was that important but i guess it is. i just learned something new
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I couldnt bring myself to read that solid chunk of symbols.

Just saying.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #22
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you!

Do the plastic louvers on the outside vent open and close, or are they fixed in position? I'm wondering if I can just add my own to the outside, and cut holes/slits on the inside (so long as I can ensure air has a pathway through the inside of the tailgate, which I can do thanks to an earlier posting of the taken-apart tailgate).
There are rubber flaps inside the factory vent. When there is no pressure inside the Jeep, the flaps are closed. When pressure builds up, as in when you shut the door, the flaps open to let the pressure out.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Easiest way is to sell the top you have and buy the proper version.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2010, 07:50 AM   #24
MisterO

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx531 View Post
Easiest way is to sell the top you have and buy the proper version.
lol plus make a few bucks since the newer ones go for more dough..
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:17 AM   #25
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in a similar situation. I have the SWAG full tailgate kit installed and the aluminum sheet completely covers the vent hole on the outside of my '03 tailgate. I just installed an '04 hardtop and now have the issues with whistling when the HVAC is running.

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of the the vent hole on the outside of the '03-'06 tailgate? I'm looking for the size of the hole and also the spatial orientation on the tailgate. Like how far from the top/sides or is it centered exactly. I know I could pull the aluminum skin off and measure but am hoping someone may have it handy. My current plan is to drill a number of downward/outward angled holes in the aluminum panel that will be directly over the tailgate's vent hole. Hopefully this will act as the exhauster and solve my problems. The fallback solution is if that doesn't work then I'll pull it completely off and try cutting a square in the aluminum panel that mirrors the vent hole in the tailgate and then pop my OEM exhauster into that.

I wish the SWAG kit came pre-cut for the exhauster like the Savvy panel does. I'd just go the Savvy panel except the SWAG kit has the tab on the right side for securing the locking mechanism.

So - anyone got the dimensions handy?

2003 TJ Sport - sold, 2000 TJ Sport - sold
1993 XJ Sport - totaled, 1987 XJ Laredo - sold
1987 XJ Chief - sold, 1953 CJ-3B - sold
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My second option is to cut the square hole in the tub on the driver's side - vertically and directly to the inside of the wheelwell liner. If I go that route I'd have to cut an adjoining square out of the carpet as well. My thoughts on this is that the wheelwell liner would cover it up from the outside but still allow plenty of air to pass through. I say the driver's side just to keep the vent on the opposite side as the exhaust. I realize the vent is designed for "exhausting" air...but no need to play with chance. Thoughts?

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #27
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadna71 View Post
...My current plan is to drill a number of downward/outward angled holes in the aluminum panel that will be directly over the tailgate's vent hole. Hopefully this will act as the exhauster and solve my problems...
Welp, that didn't do much. I just finished putting in 11 holes in a diamond pattern in the aluminum panel and it still whistles (and wants to pop out the back window when you shut a door. I know that the surface area of the exhauster is exponentially larger than a 3/16" hole repeated 11x but it was worth a shot. I'm thinking of skipping past putting more holes and just going straight to removing the panel and cutting the hole correctly to accept the OEM exhauster. Thankfully my scroll saw should run through the aluminum pretty easily - wish me luck!

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #28
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think modification would be very because of the two recesses.

I got a new tailgate off craigslist for 60 bucks to replace my bent up one. It was from an '03 so it has the vent, however the paint was in poor condition, but being I repainted my Jeep with a custom color that's not a problem for me. Might try poking around craigslist.

BTW, anyone know where to buy a new vent? I broke the damn thing trying to get it off for paint....
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #29
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Go to moparonlineparts website, click on their Mopar Parts Catalog, enter 55055998AD into search window, select "parts" search, and select "Jeep". Hit search - voila.

Tags
hardtop , pressure , tailgate , vent , whistling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.