Homemade center console WITH sub 06 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homemade center console WITH sub 06 TJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
badandy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Homemade center console WITH sub 06 TJ

I got fed up with the center console options for my '06 TJ.

I wanted the ability to run a small sub, some extra storage, and I didn't want to break the bank.

I'd love a Tuffy console for the security, but the cost in Canada to buy one new is astronomical. (the one I want is $779.95 for the console alone)

After much debate I bought a Boss BASS-1200 on eBay for $150:

It's a super narrow 10 inch powered sub with external level control.

Using some scrap (FREE) wood I had laying round, I made my own enclosure..... and after about 30 'on the fly' design changes, I came up with this:

I picked up a square meter of vinyl for $5 (returned $6.50 worth of empties on the same trip, so I'm still ahead!) I made her 'pretty':

A couple of test fits, and she's snug as a bug, secured to the floor:

Both driver and passenger seats still move perfectly, the back seats still fold up, and there is some storage for cds, sunglasses, maps etc.

How does she sound?

This thing POUNDS.

I wont be winning any awards, but with this thing firing right at your hip, I have to run it at half power. Fills the cabin with rich, beautiful deep bass- I couldn't be happier.

The original idea was to make a 'ghetto' version, then redo it with proper mdf and fiberglass, but until it starts rattling, it's staying put.

Next step is to add some carpet in the storage area, and a locking mechanism for safety.

I've gotten so much from this forum, thought I'd share.

Thanks.

Last edited by badandy; 03-08-2010 at 10:58 AM..
badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Post them with the IMG URL link and someone can click free them for ya.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's pretty impressive. More so when you look at the money you put into it. A Jeep has the acustics of a milkcrate. That being said I had a Incrimidator Audio Lethal Injection 12" in a sealed box back when i had my hardtop. It was powered by a Sundown SAX-100.2(500watts). For what it was it really sounded great. It was deep and rich all while playing fairly flat from 35- 75 hz. What more could you ask for? I like the console. Keep up the good work. Keep us updated on the progress.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for turning me onto that sub. I've been kicking around the notion of doing the ammo can center console mod for a while, and both the 8" and 10" versions seem like they'd fit great in a 20mm ammo can. The only thing is it seems like I'd rather have it side firing to the outside rather than just pumping air within the box. Any thoughts from speaker and sound experts on that?

By the way, do they have Amazon.com in Canada? The 10" is only $130 and the 8" is $100.

Amazon.com: Boss BASS1200 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Level Control: Electronics
Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Electronics
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 12 inch shallow mount rockford p3. Things hits hard with a 500w kenwood amp. It's just behind my seat now, but I am making a new box to place under my seat as soon as the weather gets nicer. No seat mods necessary to fi it under there either. I'll be doing the ammo can mod too for more space since my crappy stock sub went. I like your console, looks good and functional.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I got fed up with the center console options for my '06 TJ.

I wanted the ability to run a small sub, some extra storage, and I didn't want to break the bank.

I'd love a Tuffy console for the security, but the cost in Canada to buy one new is astronomical. (the one I want is $779.95 for the console alone)

After much debate I bought a Boss BASS-1200 on eBay for $150:

It's a super narrow 10 inch powered sub with external level control.

Using some scrap (FREE) wood I had laying round, I made my own enclosure..... and after about 30 'on the fly' design changes, I came up with this:

I picked up a square meter of vinyl for $5 (returned $6.50 worth of empties on the same trip, so I'm still ahead!) I made her 'pretty':

A couple of test fits, and she's snug as a bug, secured to the floor:

Both driver and passenger seats still move perfectly, the back seats still fold up, and there is some storage for cds, sunglasses, maps etc.

How does she sound?

This thing POUNDS.

I wont be winning any awards, but with this thing firing right at your hip, I have to run it at half power. Fills the cabin with rich, beautiful deep bass- I couldn't be happier.

The original idea was to make a 'ghetto' version, then redo it with proper mdf and fiberglass, but until it starts rattling, it's staying put.

Next step is to add some carpet in the storage area, and a locking mechanism for safety.

I've gotten so much from this forum, thought I'd share.

Thanks.
Nicely Done !! Looks really good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Thanks for turning me onto that sub. I've been kicking around the notion of doing the ammo can center console mod for a while, and both the 8" and 10" versions seem like they'd fit great in a 20mm ammo can. The only thing is it seems like I'd rather have it side firing to the outside rather than just pumping air within the box. Any thoughts from speaker and sound experts on that?

By the way, do they have Amazon.com in Canada? The 10" is only $130 and the 8" is $100.

Amazon.com: Boss BASS1200 10-Inch Low Profile Amplified Subwoofer with Remote Subwoofer Level Control: Electronics
Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Electronics
LOL nope we get MP3 players, Computers, Cameras. And Amazon.com WONT ship to canada ~ go figure
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap , console

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.