Homelink Garage Door Opener Installation Writeup. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Homelink Garage Door Opener Installation Writeup.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
chrisml
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Homelink Garage Door Opener Installation Writeup.

We have 2 garage doors with openers, but they are of different ages and both use a different frequency door opener. Since we have an entrance to the house from the garage I didn't feel comfortable keeping the "clip onto your visor" style opener in the Jeep.

If you only have modern doors by craftsman/chamberlain/liftmaster, you may consider using a keychain remote. I have one, but it won't work with the door on the side of the garage I park on. otherwise, It's probably a better idea than this mod. I think mine was $35 3 years ago.

I was in a junkyard looking for an outside temperature sensor for my rear view mirror and I found a homelink module in a 5th generation Nissan Maxima sun visor. I also found an Infinity model from the same era that used the exact same visor, so I grabbed both figuring one homelink will go in the jeep and one will go in my girlfriend's car. The sensor and 2 visors ended up costing me $20 cash. I figured I got a good deal.

Note: older homelink modules don't work with what are called "rolling code" openers. Most modern garage door openers use rolling codes so you'll probably want to find a module out of a 1999+ vehicle. The rolling code compatable units will have the house with an arrow icon on them.

This is what the visor looked like

The first order of business was to rip and pry apart the visor to get at the homelink module. I took the whole thing apart to salvage as much wire as possible. I kept the lighted vanity mirror too, but that's only because I'm a pack rat.

The face plate of the module clips onto the body of the module and sandwiches the black button pad and the fabric of the visor in between. You can seperat them using a small screwdriver or other flat pointy object to push the clips apart that hold them together.

Rubbing alcohol worked very well at removing the junkyard grime from the faceplate.

Here you can see the clips that need to be seperated.

I opened up the module by pressing in the two tabs on the left side. I noticed that the PCB was already drilled for permanent wires so I decided to ditch the plug and soldered the wires directly to the circuit board. This allowed me to shave 1/2" off the module which allowed for slightly easier placement. I also removed about 1/4" of the PCB using a cut off wheel on my dremel. The portion I cut off is the part that the plug slipped over.

I then crimped on some disconnects and tested it in my jeep to make sure that it worked when mounted down low. The range isn't quite as good as when it's mounted in a visor but I found it acceptable.

The soldering is ugly but it's a solid connection. There were pads on both sides so I soldered it on both sides as well. I think I need to get solder with less flux in it.

Once I confirmed it would work, I took a deep breath and prepared to cut holes in my interior panels.

Using the old fabric as a guild, I traced the holes onto the console using a gold marker.

I then drilled out tthe holes using a step bit/unitbit.

I then tried to clip the unit back together. It wouldn't work.
The plastic console is too thick to allow the homelink module to clip together.

My solution was to pop a sanding drum into my dremel and thin out the inside of the console. It's ugly, but nobody sees it.

While the photos may not show it very well, I probbably removed half of the thickness of the panel. It took a bunch of trial and error but I finally got it to make a solid connection. Once you line it up you can just snap the faceplate on.

I ended up shaving a bit more off the homelink module while making it fit. I also added hot melt glue to the power leads to insulate them.

Once that was done I connected the power to a line I tapped into the back of the ignition-switched 12v outlet. I intentionally did this so that the homelink will only work while my keys are in the ignition. This way the only way people can use it to break into my house is to screwdriver my ignition. I feel this is just as safe as the ones in my parents cars, and breaking a window is probably easier than turning my ignition or ripping the unit out and connecting it to a battery.

The unit does not require power to store the opener information, but it does require power to transmit. It works out quite well in this application.

I'm currently painting the second faceplate I had black to see how I like it compared to the beige. More pictures will follow.

Here's the instructions for programming the homelink to a craftsman garage door opener.

http://www.homelink.com/program/inst.../1/0/usenglish

chrisml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a helluva idea...Nice work. I will be doing this soon. I keep the TJ in the garage and get damn tired of always looking for or robbing the opener out of another car.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
AlabamaSlamma
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job, I park in one garage but work out of the other so I needed access to 3 doors. I hated having to worry about leaving my remotes in reach of sticky fingers with the top off.
img_20130604_110041_188-1b.jpg  
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I knew I'd seen this on one of the forums, thanks for the idea...
I did this last month.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
bobjp

Very clean. But what about security? I know it's no more or less secure than a standard opener, but I wouldn't ever keep one of those in a Jeep anyhow.
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
Very clean. But what about security? I know it's no more or less secure than a standard opener, but I wouldn't ever keep one of those in a Jeep anyhow.
The vehicle has to be powered up and running to operate. At least thats how homelink works on my other suv.
supbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

They'd have to get in my garage to get to the buttons so security isn't an issue with mine...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great, another project I have to do now
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
chrisml
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Mine's wired into an ignition switched hot wire, so it would take longer to get the opener to work than it would take to break into our garage.
chrisml is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
ucbandit10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hooked mine up to a magnetic switch. I put the switch and the remote somewhere behind the dash and have the magnet on my key chain. put the magnet up against the dash to open the garage door. totally hidden from sight. You'd have to tear apart the dash to find it.
ucbandit10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
AdamLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I opened up my remote and soldered a cheap RadioShack momentary switch to one opener circuit. Mounted the remote portion under the trim above my visor & drilled a hole in the trim to mount the button. It's hidden with the visor up. I worry about people with sticky fingers too.
AdamLC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbandit10 View Post
I hooked mine up to a magnetic switch. I put the switch and the remote somewhere behind the dash and have the magnet on my key chain. put the magnet up against the dash to open the garage door. totally hidden from sight. You'd have to tear apart the dash to find it.
I wired my ASD circuit like this, so you need a magnet to start the Jeep. A thief could have a key to the jeep and not be able to drive it away- theyīd need a flatbed to steal it.

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
WoodTwister
2006 LJ Wrangler 

high beam

I took my remote apart soldered a wire across the button contacts, so the button is on per say .then soldered wires to the remote battery tabs open hood find high beam wire put negative wire to ground positive wire to high beam lead .tape to wire harness on driver side.when pulling in to driveway hit high beam stick door opens no extra button needed clean install...
WoodTwister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTwister View Post
I took my remote apart soldered a wire across the button contacts, so the button is on per say .then soldered wires to the remote battery tabs open hood find high beam wire put negative wire to ground positive wire to high beam lead .tape to wire harness on driver side.when pulling in to driveway hit high beam stick door opens no extra button needed clean install...
Great idea!

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
supbuckeye
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodTwister
I did this as well on my motorcycle. Got old carrying garage door opener or keychain around so hooked it to high beams pulled up to garage and pulled right in
supbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.