home made insta trunk? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > home made insta trunk?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
hoot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

home made insta trunk?

i really like the insta trunk and i would end up buyin one unless someone has some ideas on making something like that. i use my back seat and its always in there (unfortunately) so the area behind the back seat is all i need to cover. has anyone made something about like the insta trunk? thanks for any info!

2000 TJ sport "STORMTROOPER" dual tops, 4.0L, 2.5" coil spacer, 2" BL, jks quicker disconnects, worn out 35x12.50 bfg M/Ts, 15x8 d window rock crawlers w/ 4" backspacing, front stinger, custom rear bumper, superwinch lp8500 winch, a to z rocker guards, husky liner floor mats, CB/PA system, daylighters, and straight exhaust

My custom stinger build

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone78 View Post
jeeps don't stuck, they just take breaks every once in a while, in deep holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Dirty Deeds, Done With Jeep!:duhrock:
hoot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

lots of write up on here from guys that made them from wood, but very simple, make template from card board, trace to wood/metal, cut, bolt it on

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to the one I made, with a drawing and measurements here.

HTH,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

its easy just carpet a piece of thick wood and mount it level with the tub..Took about 10 minutes
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
hoot20
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sweet. thanks yall.
2000 TJ sport "STORMTROOPER" dual tops, 4.0L, 2.5" coil spacer, 2" BL, jks quicker disconnects, worn out 35x12.50 bfg M/Ts, 15x8 d window rock crawlers w/ 4" backspacing, front stinger, custom rear bumper, superwinch lp8500 winch, a to z rocker guards, husky liner floor mats, CB/PA system, daylighters, and straight exhaust

My custom stinger build

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone78 View Post
jeeps don't stuck, they just take breaks every once in a while, in deep holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Dirty Deeds, Done With Jeep!:duhrock:
hoot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir66103 View Post
Here's a link to the one I made, with a drawing and measurements here.

HTH,
Adam

That isn't real secure as there is access by simply folding the rear seat.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sure, but in order to flip my rear seat you have to have access to the area under the steel plate. To get that access you have to open the (always locked) tail gate. I know that later model rear seats had release latches at the top of the seat but mine is at the bottom. I don't know what year they changed though, so perhaps this won't work for the OP.

FWIW,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Unread 05-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
mscottz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Adam's trunk is exactly what I have in mind, but I plan to use some nice thick diamond plate.
Colorado Jeep Club member #1969
mscottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

I've got one i'll sell to you. its steel plating with carpet on the top. PM me if you're interested
Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?
My Custom Back Seat Box Build
ScottHarr_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #10
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's a link to the one I made, with a drawing and measurements.....
Thanks Adam..

Think I may try to fab one of these up -
Any last minute pointers ??

Also, did you compensate for the rear seat belt pullys ??
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒) ▒)--♂-▒)
Criminals thrive on society's indulgence in tolerance
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

vfrpilot you're quite welcome. So many folks have been helpful to me here it's nice to be able to help others.

There are three things I'd probably change if I did it again. First, I'd have the fabricator bend a lip into the front and back edges to keep it from bowing. In my original I accomplished this same goal with aluminum angle riveted along the front edge. Though it works, it rattles a bit. With the proper sheet metal brake a simple bend on each edge would be trivial. Of course these bends can't extend the full length, just along the area between the wheel wells, otherwise it won't slide under the seat belt mechanisms.

The second thing I'd change would be to make it slightly less deep, perhaps 1/8" less. As it is now, it puts pressure on the rear seat and tailgate. This has caused some paint damage on the tailgate and has rubbed a small hole where the seat cover fabric has been under pressure between the seat's frame and the steel plate.

The third thing I'd change would be to cut the notch for the tailgate latch closer. This probably has no real impact on it's security, but it wouldn't be hard to accomplish. This was one of my first DIY projects, and I've learned a lot since then.

At this point I'd mock it up out of cardboard or foamboard and then take my measurements from that to the metal fabricator. The last time, I made my measurements directly from the Jeep and then made a drawing and had the steel cut. Oh well, live and learn.

I didn't compensate for the rear seat belt mechanisms at all. The steel plate simply slides under them. There's a gap between them and the wheel well that the plate fits in pretty well.

HTH,
Adam
Unread 05-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
vfrpilot
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
vfrpilot you're quite welcome...Adam
When / if you ever have the time - it'd be great if you updated the drawing/measurements you have online - for the guys who arent pro-active enough to inquire [with you] like I did & just think they've hit gold when they come upon the link and they the pic (like I did ) - Again Adam, thanks bro - as we say; You da man !
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒) ▒)--♂-▒)
Criminals thrive on society's indulgence in tolerance
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
BullandTerrier
2009 JK Wrangler 

I built one out of 3/4" plywood and painted it with rustoleum black textured spray paint . I'm still in the process of bolting it down with some kind of quick release.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.