Home Made BB with stock shocks ...... With Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Home Made BB with stock shocks ...... With Pics

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Home Made BB with stock shocks ...... With Pics

I made my own BB.

I made it with this heavy , hard , dense plastic I don't know the name of.......

I raised the rear 1" the rear bumpstop 1" and put a 1" spacer on the rear shock.

I raised the front 1 3/4" and 1 3/4" bumpstop extension and 1 3/4" shock extension.

Why because I can and I wanted to see if it would work and I'm waiting for $$$$$ for shocks..

Anyway heres some pics vvv

Here is the rear spacer kit..

some of the tools used to make them besides the bandsaw.

the rear shock bar pin is wider than front... I'll probly have to make a new one to cover better...
Notice the bolt-head touches the frame..

the rear bumpstop extension is covered by the isolater but you can see the spring spacer..

The front spring spacers ( I used a 1" and a 3/4" spacer together),,

its hard to make out the two different bumpstop extensions ( matching the spring and shocks)....

and the shock extensions... See you can run a BB with stock shocks WITH extensions that is.

More tools

Buy the way I just did one spring at a time only taking one tire off at a time.
Jacking up the jeep from the frame while lowering the jack on the axle to free up the spring preload..

Last edited by Mike_Motorbike; 05-04-2010 at 12:06 AM..
Mike_Motorbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

feels good dont it!... lol.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
saint_louligan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First thought was, "Not too bad.". Then I saw the shock spacers and thought, "WTF!" Then I thought about it more and decided that, "Not too bad." was more appropriate. Buy some longer shocks when you have the funds and call yourself a home-grown bargain lifter.

I'm pretty impressed. I like the coil spacers, in particular. You'd not believe how many folk would trade a nut to have one of yours and make their own spacers.

You have my "man of the week" award.
saint_louligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Red_
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be worried about the shock spacers splitting, but if the rubber is hard enough, props dude
Red_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice. I second the longer shocks when you get some doh, or if you want some more flex. Im sure they are probably whats limiting your travel rite now.
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well after 6 months or so reading posts here and hours measuring and laying under the jeep looking at how it all works..

I've realized that if you lift the rear 1 1/2" the next size up from stock shocks will net the same exact up travel. Giving you only more down travel.

Thats OK if you just want to crawl I guess , Butt I would like to go a little faster sometimes.......

Your options are..
1. Shock spacers...
2. More lift..........
3. Rear shock relocation!!

I am trying to keep it low enough to put in my toy hauler so I can't lift it much higher... Maybe one more inch...

When I get the money for shocks I also want to do a rear shock relocation like Nth degrees kit.
That way I can have a shock with the same travel as the front end.

they will have more up travel than down.

I will keep the 31" tires and I think I may be able to remove the bumpstop spacers when its complete..

Thanks for the compliments . I'm glad you guys can appreciate what I was trying to achieve .

I checked it after my first off road trip with it and it looked good after about 70 miles of trails.
I'll defiantly let you know if it doesn't hold up.

This stuff is very very hard dense plastic. it did squish a little when I tightened the bolts down. you can see it in the pics.

I just wanted to share the idea. And help to educate .
I see alot of people talking about keeping the stock shocks with out realizing whats going on down there.
Same thing with people saying longer is better . In my case with only 1" lift in back I would loose up travel with a longer shock..

I think the reason they don't make a spacers for shocks you can buy is that it would cost as much as a new set of shocks.....

I mean aluminum or steal would work great .
Unread 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

New to me stock with 31" old tires

Trimmed fenders 1.25"

Cut fenders 1.25" , Trimmed bumper ends , Old 31" BFGs
1" lift in back 1.75" lift in front

Unread 05-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did a similar thing with mine for some old 2" OME springs that I got. I ended up sticking the old bolt into the frame in the rear and bending it away from the frame which moved the nut. I did 2" up front and 1.75" in the rear until I get an actual lift. I don't ever really get a chance to wheel much so I don't have to worry about anything. It just makes the Jeep look nicer along with the 31's.
Unread 07-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just back from Mammoth I drove there wheeled about 100 miles and drove back. everything worked good.

I got some new shoes and am starting to think about going another inch. front and rear and getting those skyjacker shocks.

mudb8 where are those bolt on rear shock relocates ???

I would love it if I could drop the lower mount at least one inch.

If you look at the JKs you'll see that they have the lower rear shock mounted over by the Lower control arm near the tire and they seem to be about an inch or so lower than a TJs are.
I just don't understand why this is not an available option??? It seems so obvious to me . What with the whole LCG movement and all..

Pics with new tires and this lift .vvvv
img_4732.jpg  
Unread 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

In process of lifting again ....
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #11
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK I did it. Here is the new thread postVVV
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...hocks-1114872/

I ended up with 2 3/4" spacers in front and 2" spacers in the back.with an extra 3/8" front/rear on the passenger side to fix the "lean"

It looks like I have gained the whole 2 3/4" in the front but I think I just got about 1-1/2" to 1-3/4" in the back.
it still has a rake to the front so its all good...

Unread 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
TJ-Tera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job man...I love that people still aren't afraid of some real DIY projects. Nice work!
TJ-Tera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #14
2ellas
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How did you trim your fenders so nicely?
2ellas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
tjramplebump
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i agree how did you trim your flares so nicely? thats one thing i wont do... andi like your idea to fix the lean, i was pondering what my approach to that on mine would be..
tjramplebump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.