Holy Trackbar Bracket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holy Trackbar Bracket

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Holy Trackbar Bracket

Previous owner installed a RC 3.25" lift and RC track bar in the front.
He had it installed by a shop and looks like they drilled another hole to the lower right of the original hole. I am planning on putting a stock bar back on.
Should I worry too much about the extra hole causing stress on the bracket? The metal is thinking around the mounting point now so I could see it possibly causing problems.

Unread 04-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Some say yes, and some say no. I drilled a hole to remount my trac bar. No problems for me, that was 148k ago.

If you're worried about it read this. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
TexasChris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't re-drill (and I'm a cheap ***) on the one fact that if there is one component that you don't want problems with on the road, it's the track bar.
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Doesn't seem to be effecting much at the moment. No problems so far just wondering. I'll have to see about it.
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJeepJosh View Post
Doesn't seem to be effecting much at the moment. No problems so far just wondering. I'll have to see about it.
I would replace the stock bolt with a stronger metric bolt and crank down on it. Keep it tight, and you shouldn't have any problems. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post7330152
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I drilled the hole and about 40k miles later it wallowed out and gave me some wobble. JKS adjustable track bar is fairly jeep and easy. That's what I did. I have that same lift.
OP are you level with that lift? Bc from day one my front sags like crazy.
DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBro View Post
I drilled the hole and about 40k miles later it wallowed out and gave me some wobble. JKS adjustable track bar is fairly jeep and easy. That's what I did. I have that same lift.
That's because you didn't tighten the bolt down enough so there wasn't a sufficient clamping force to keep the track bar from moving around. Using a stronger bolt with more than the required 55ft lbs will keep that track bar in place. Or any track bar for that matter.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oooo yes I did. it was in a bind when I first did it and went the bind broke loose down a mile road I had some death wobble. I put a 2 foot breaker bar on it and went to town. When I drilled the hole I have to move the drill around a bit to get the right hole diameter. That's likely what caused it. I also just feel like that new hole is just too close to the edge it's better to just get a new trackbar. JKS has something similar to a Johnny Joint on the frame end and that's better in the long run than the stock stuff. JKS is amazon prime as well for us college kids with free prime
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
I would replace the stock bolt with a stronger metric bolt and crank down on it. Keep it tight, and you shouldn't have any problems. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post7330152
Thanks ill have to do that.

Quote:
I can't give you an accurate answer on the lift. Previous owner installed it and from what I've been told its 2 years old. It's sagging all around and I can't stand it. Replacing it with a 3" BDS lift.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #10
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ran my first axle on a redrilled hole no problem. This axle came with a redrilled hole but I suspect it must have been in the early stages of wallow because it is extremely wallowed now. I crank down on it from time to time but it always loosens up eventually. I plan to repair it very soon. This axle doesn't have much longer of a lifespan under my rig anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:18 AM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
I ran my first axle on a redrilled hole no problem. This axle came with a redrilled hole but I suspect it must have been in the early stages of wallow because it is extremely wallowed now. I crank down on it from time to time but it always loosens up eventually. I plan to repair it very soon. This axle doesn't have much longer of a lifespan under my rig anyways.
I replaced the stock bolt which for me did keep working loose for some reason. I used a metric 12.9 fine thread bolt with a lock washer and lock nut. Hasn't worked loose since. May want to give that a try.
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oooo yes I did. it was in a bind when I first did it and went the bind broke loose down a mile road I had some death wobble. I put a 2 foot breaker bar on it and went to town. When I drilled the hole I have to move the drill around a bit to get the right hole diameter.
the stock M10 bolt can only take about 45 ft-lbs. if you put a 2 foot breaker bar on it and went to town, you stretched & yielded the bolt...and it will not hold clamping forcing.

people do that all the time because they don't understand there is such thing as too much torque on this bolt.

Here's two things you need to read:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ml#post7330152
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/

If you're going to do the redrilled hole thing (or even if you're not), use the Class 12.9 bolt and weld the reinforcement plate on the stock bracket. You won't have problems.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
people do that all the time because they don't understand there is such thing as too much torque on this bolt.
yea I may have. That was back when I didn't know what I was doing. I use a digital torque wrench now and upgrade my hardware to grade 8's when I'm looking for something to do on a Saturday morning.
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
upgrade my hardware to grade 8's when I'm looking for something to do on a Saturday morning.
the Class 12.9 bolt mentioned previously is stronger than grade 8 and can take more torque.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #15
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

O yea sorry I just reread that. Mostly bolts I have swapped have been stuff that doesn't take a tremendous amount of load but I will definitely look into 12.9

grade 8's should be able to tolerate the amounts of torque needed to properly tighten to 70%-90% of their proof strength. 70% for bolts that may need to be removed often and 90% for permanent ones. That being said "overkill" is the name of the game

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.