Holy Track Bar Bushings Batman! Wobble & Bump Steer Solved for $10 & 2 Hours - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Holy Track Bar Bushings Batman! Wobble & Bump Steer Solved for $10 & 2 Hours

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
chicagoanalog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Holy Track Bar Bushings Batman! Wobble & Bump Steer Solved for $10 & 2 Hours

I'm a novice wrencher to say the least. I can do most repairs if I follow a manual or writeup but I've always struggled with suspension. Half of that has to do with having the space and right tools to work with. But this weekend I was pleasantly surprised that $10 and 2 hours of work solved a problem that I have struggled with for almost 3 years.

Since I bought my TJ I've had a pretty serious steering / suspension problem. Always had a little wobble above 50mph (just knuckle whitening enough to take the wife's car when I highway travel for long distances was required) and bumpsteer that puts those rice burner drifters to shame.

Like an idiot, one by one I replaced nearly every suspension component. Some needed replacement, some I did for convenience because I was already under the jeep and some because I never had a firm understanding of how the suspension components worked together. Neither did the dealership for that matter who was convinced that my wobble / bumpsteer woes were a faulty steering box.

But after replacing a slightly leaking steering box on my own and having the problem persist, I dropped every single component to have a look at bushings. Low and behold, I found a well hidden crack, all the way through the track bar bushings.

So this weekend, for $10 in parts from quadratec:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16045_7014.htm

And two hours of work following this writeup:
http://www.gibnet.us/JeepMods/trackbar.htm

My steering / wobble problems are completely gone. Granted, maybe there were some other factors at play that may have been addressed before, but never in my life have I had such a cheap part & easy install make such a world of difference. It's like I'm driving a brand new jeep.

Thought this might be a helpful post for anyone searching for information related to bump steer and death wobble.

My problem: Track Bar Bushings.

Visibly there was no play, it wasn't until I actually disconnected the track bar from the axle mount and saw the well hidden crack in the bushing that the problem presented itself.

Hope this helps someone! Let's just say I'm f*%#ing thrilled to have finally figured this problem out.

chicagoanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. How many miles are on you jeep?
seadoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
chicagoanalog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadoons View Post
nice. How many miles are on you jeep?
chicagoanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Currie adjustable track bar and it used to get loose and cause the same problems you seem to have had. Another thing that happened is since there was movement in the track bar the bolt that hold it too the frame weekend and actually broke. Since then I have but anther bolt on top of the original bolt to keep it from loosening again.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I only get wobble from like 40-47mph... then it just a gets a tad jiggely at higher speeds. But from 40-47 like clock work, serious wobble. I haven't lifted mine yet so when I do, I'll be sure to inspect the track bar.
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That's probably tire balance, my 33s aren't balanced perfect and sometimes I get a little wobble around 45. They are balanced with BBs so it only happen occasionally, most of the time it's nice and smooth.
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my bushing last night and my shimmy is gone. I'm very happy about that!
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211
That's probably tire balance, my 33s aren't balanced perfect and sometimes I get a little wobble around 45. They are balanced with BBs so it only happen occasionally, most of the time it's nice and smooth.
Could be balanced and out of round...
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bump steer , bushings , death wobble , track bar

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.